DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Need 3/8" collet for Rockwell mill (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/146855-need-3-8-collet-rockwell-mill.html)

Dave Hinz February 28th 06 05:27 PM

Need 3/8" collet for Rockwell mill

Hi - I've got the 1/4" and 1/2" collets for my milling machine, like:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/rockwellmillers/
that one, the Rockwell 21-100. Not sure how to specify the collets that
it takes, but I'm hoping someone here can "translate". I need a 3/8"
collet, there probably was/is one but the person I got it from wasn't
the most organized so I can't find it if it exists. Anyone have a
source for one, or have an extra to sell?

Thanks,
Dave Hinz

[email protected] February 28th 06 07:07 PM

Need 3/8" collet for Rockwell mill

Dave,

The reference you gave lists an "R-8" spindle, which is an industry
standard. Take one of your collets to an industrial supply house and
they will verify it for you. Tool holders are quite cheap for R-8
spindles.

There is an outside chance that it is a #30 milling machine taper (if
it looks short and stubby with a steep taper). These are also standard.

Good luck.

Wolfgang

RoyJ February 28th 06 07:22 PM

Need 3/8" collet for Rockwell mill

If they are the R-8, you can get a set of 1/8" to 3/4" by eigths for $22
at www.use-enco.com Dirt cheap. The #30 holders are spendy.

Dave Hinz February 28th 06 07:34 PM

On 28 Feb 2006 11:07:19 -0800, wrote:
Dave,

The reference you gave lists an "R-8" spindle, which is an industry
standard.

That looks like it, yes. However, the thread on the inside isn't the
same as the R-8 collets on my (Rockwell) lathe, it has, well, what looks
like a nut welded inside it for the equivalent of the drawbar. Maybe
nonstandard?

Take one of your collets to an industrial supply house and
they will verify it for you. Tool holders are quite cheap for R-8
spindles.

There is an outside chance that it is a #30 milling machine taper (if
it looks short and stubby with a steep taper). These are also standard.

Yup, it's not a #30.

Pete C. February 28th 06 07:45 PM

Dave Hinz wrote:

On 28 Feb 2006 11:07:19 -0800, wrote:
Dave,

The reference you gave lists an "R-8" spindle, which is an industry
standard.

That looks like it, yes. However, the thread on the inside isn't the
same as the R-8 collets on my (Rockwell) lathe, it has, well, what looks
like a nut welded inside it for the equivalent of the drawbar. Maybe
nonstandard?

Take one of your collets to an industrial supply house and
they will verify it for you. Tool holders are quite cheap for R-8
spindles.

There is an outside chance that it is a #30 milling machine taper (if
it looks short and stubby with a steep taper). These are also standard.

Yup, it's not a #30.

R8 collets normally have the threaded socket for the drawbar. Lathes
typically use Morse taper collets (external threaded) with the #5 taper
5C collets being quite common.

Pete C.

F. George McDuffee February 28th 06 07:47 PM

Need 3/8" collet for Rockwell mill

On 28 Feb 2006 19:34:16 GMT, Dave Hinz
wrote:
snip
That looks like it, yes. However, the thread on the inside isn't the
same as the R-8 collets on my (Rockwell) lathe, it has, well, what looks
like a nut welded inside it for the equivalent of the drawbar. Maybe
nonstandard?

snip
So buy or make a drawbar. All-thread rod works fine for this.
Use two nuts and a lock washer on the top.

Unka Geoge

Dave Hinz February 28th 06 08:09 PM

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 13:47:17 -0600, F George McDuffee wrote:
On 28 Feb 2006 19:34:16 GMT, Dave Hinz
wrote:
snip
That looks like it, yes. However, the thread on the inside isn't the
same as the R-8 collets on my (Rockwell) lathe, it has, well, what looks
like a nut welded inside it for the equivalent of the drawbar. Maybe
nonstandard?

snip
So buy or make a drawbar. All-thread rod works fine for this.
Use two nuts and a lock washer on the top.

Got the drawbar, don't have the 3/8" collet. Half-way there, and now I
know what to buy, so I should be good. Thanks everyone.

Dave