DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   First of all, finally, my turn.....GLOAT !!!!! (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/14681-first-all-finally-my-turn-gloat.html)

benwoodward.com February 6th 04 07:50 PM

First of all, finally, my turn.....GLOAT !!!!!

I got an Etalon micrometer precision level off of ebay for 113.
I had to figure out how to recalibrate it...the know is a morse type
taper..baby taper that is. Not intuitive for me.
Had to cut, heat and reform extension spring. Got calibration knob
within 1 out of 100 divisions(good as I can get it)
It resolves .000024"/ft., it really does. I put a LOT of work into it.
The cross pin the spring hooks onto was missing and the wood case was
smahed by usps(NEVER have important stuff sent usps), but i gorilla
glued it together. The level is MINT. 25 hundred in enco and msc. Me
happy, me sell Storeitt master precision level. Its like holbing a
baby...she's shweet.

Mark Rand February 7th 04 12:16 AM

First of all, finally, my turn.....GLOAT !!!!!

On 6 Feb 2004 11:50:25 -0800, (benwoodward.com)
wrote:

I got an Etalon micrometer precision level off of ebay for 113.
I had to figure out how to recalibrate it...the know is a morse type
taper..baby taper that is. Not intuitive for me.
Had to cut, heat and reform extension spring. Got calibration knob
within 1 out of 100 divisions(good as I can get it)
It resolves .000024"/ft., it really does. I put a LOT of work into it.
The cross pin the spring hooks onto was missing and the wood case was
smahed by usps(NEVER have important stuff sent usps), but i gorilla
glued it together. The level is MINT. 25 hundred in enco and msc. Me
happy, me sell Storeitt master precision level. Its like holbing a
baby...she's shweet.

Ch**st almighty! Fart and the change in floor loading would make it move. Good
Gloat G

Mark Rand
RTFM

Jon Elson February 7th 04 05:06 AM

wrote:

I got an Etalon micrometer precision level off of ebay for 113.
I had to figure out how to recalibrate it...the know is a morse type
taper..baby taper that is. Not intuitive for me.
Had to cut, heat and reform extension spring. Got calibration knob
within 1 out of 100 divisions(good as I can get it)
It resolves .000024"/ft., it really does. I put a LOT of work into it.
The cross pin the spring hooks onto was missing and the wood case was
smahed by usps(NEVER have important stuff sent usps), but i gorilla
glued it together. The level is MINT. 25 hundred in enco and msc. Me
happy, me sell Storeitt master precision level. Its like holbing a
baby...she's shweet.

Ch**st almighty! Fart and the change in floor loading would make it move. Good
Gloat G

Heh! I got a Talyvel 3 on eBay about a year ago, and it is able to resolve
0.1 arc second, which works out to 5.8 microinches per foot. It is also
supposed to be able to hold a reference to absolute level of .2 arc second,
although I think mine isn't quite that good anymore. It was JUST the
thing to help in precision hand grinding a 6 foot lathe bed straight.
(It is hardened all the way through, no way to scrape it!)

Jon

Jon Elson February 7th 04 05:08 AM

Jon Elson wrote:

Mark Rand wrote:

Ch**st almighty! Fart and the change in floor loading would make it
move. Good
Gloat G

Heh! I got a Talyvel 3 on eBay about a year ago, and it is able to resolve
0.1 arc second, which works out to 5.8 microinches per foot. It is also
supposed to be able to hold a reference to absolute level of .2 arc second,
although I think mine isn't quite that good anymore. It was JUST the
thing to help in precision hand grinding a 6 foot lathe bed straight.
(It is hardened all the way through, no way to scrape it!)

Jon

Oh, yeah -- my point! If I walk from one end of the lathe to the other,
the Talyvel shows the whole concrete slab tilts one whole arc second.
The lathe has tilted 30 arc seconds since I put it in its final position,
so I have to relevel it. Hopefully, the floor has finished adjusting
to the weight of the machine.

Jon