Ed Huntress

Default OT-I ain't No senator's son...

"Gunner" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 14:26:57 GMT, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .

Although most of the
reservists were used to strengthen America's depleted strategic
reserve force, four ANG fighter squadrons were dispatched to Vietnam.
"
Joining the Air National Guard, at the time the Air National Guard
was being sent to Nam..sounds like a cowards way to me.

Oh, get real. Four squadrons sent to Vietnam? I'll take those odds.

That's
the definition of a good dodge.

Did anyone know at the time that Johnson would limit his callup to
only 4 squadrons?

Most people thought *none* would be called up. That's why they enlisted.

As you probably know if you were really awake at the time, and if you
weren't spending too much time with the bong, practically everyone who
joined the ANG in those years did so to reduce their chances of fighting

in
'Nam to near zero, while still putting in their time.

This was a bad thing given the realities of Nam? Speaking of
bongs..did you enjoy your living under a bridge in California? Get
some of that good Humbolt Country Gold?

Too cold, not enough to eat. Sand dabs and beans, mostly. g

That was the whole point. Don't you know that?

Yup. And that was a bad thing? What branch of the military were you
in?

The smart one. You wanna argue that point?

Ed Huntress

JMartin957

Hummm Oddly enough..I recall 1968 was the year Johnson mobilized all
the Guard units. Wasnt that the year Bush joined up?

Ah I misses that. He served in combat overseas?

Silly me.

Jim

So, Jim, I guess I must be a draft dodger too. I enlisted in the marines in
1966, but spent all of my two year hitch stateside. Oh, and I did get a two
week "early out" to return to college.

To imply that Bush was a draft dodger because he joined the Guard is
unbelievable. I knew a few people who asked for duty in VN, but by and large
you went where you were ordered to. Viet Nam was a chance you took when you
joined. I'll grant you that, joining the Guard, Bush knew his chances of being
sent to VN were less than for many others, but he still took it. And I think
that the chance he took of being killed in training, as a fighter pilot, was
greater than that of any other specialty.

Two things really bother me about this talk of Bush being a draft dodger.

One. Where was it four years ago, when he was running against another Viet Nam
veteran? I don't remember it being of much interest then. Would the fact that
Al Gore served only half of his tour in VN, and apparently had a bodyguard
along to keep him out of any hot spots, have anything to do with it?

Two. I'm sure you can guess where this is going. Where was it twelve years
ago, and eight years ago, when a guy who was without any question whatsoever a
true draft dodger ran against two other genuine war heroes? There was
certainly some talk about Clinton's avoidance of his obligation, but I never
recall his opponents bringing it up. They had, I think, a bit more class than
to do that. From the media, I recall more reminders of how "our best and
brightest fled to Canada" and such rot than I do of criticism of Clinton. And
that his decision was a "personal" thing, as was the other baggage he brought
with him, that really was not appropriate to discuss. What a load of crap.

Can you see Kerry saying "Service in the Guard is as honorable as service in
any other branch of our military. I believe that George Bush responded
faithfully to his country's call just as faithfully as I did."? No, I can't
either. But maybe that is because I see him as someone who really doesn't have
much else to run on.

Gunner gets carried away with things sometimes, but I think he's on the right
side on this one.

John Martin
Glenn Ashmore

Gunner wrote:
On 10 Feb 2004 08:49:54 -0800, jim rozen
wrote:

In article B17Wb.44271$u_6.24886@lakeread04, Glenn Ashmore says...

His first dirty trick, which he is happy to brag about, was in Illinois
in 1970. Gaining entry into the office of Alan Dixon, a Democrat running
for state treasurer, Rove stole campaign stationery and printed false
invitations to Dixon’s campaign headquarters, promising “free beer, free
food, girls, and a good time.” They were distributed in places such as
homeless shelters.

Ha ha, that's great. I bet Kerry's guy is going to take
a chapter from his book. This will be a great race.

Jim

Sounds like Rove learned at the foot of the Masters, the Daleys.

Actually he learned from those over-eager fellows at CREEP. You
remember them? They were the people who brought us Watergate.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Spehro Pefhany

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 18:20:18 GMT, the renowned "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Dan Caster" wrote in message
om...
I have met too many of them. A while back, before Christmas, I was
standing in line at the post office. A woman wanted some colorful
stamps and the clerk gave here some with Ceasar Chavez on them. She
wondered who he was, and later went on and on about how stupid G.W.
Bush is.

Dan

You're kidding, aren't you? They have Caesar Chavez's face on a postage
stamp??

http://shop.usps.com/cgi-bin/vsbv/po...sp?OID=4494386

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Ed Huntress

"Spehro Pefhany " Spehro Pefhany wrote
in message ...
wrote:

"Dan Caster" wrote in message
om...
I have met too many of them. A while back, before Christmas, I was
standing in line at the post office. A woman wanted some colorful
stamps and the clerk gave here some with Ceasar Chavez on them. She
wondered who he was, and later went on and on about how stupid G.W.
Bush is.

Dan

You're kidding, aren't you? They have Caesar Chavez's face on a postage
stamp??

http://shop.usps.com/cgi-bin/vsbv/po...sp?OID=4494386

Haha! Oh, that's funny. A man out standing in his field.

Ed Huntress

J. R. Carroll

t...

wrote:

"Dan Caster" wrote in message
om...
I have met too many of them. A while back, before Christmas, I was
standing in line at the post office. A woman wanted some colorful
stamps and the clerk gave here some with Ceasar Chavez on them. She
wondered who he was, and later went on and on about how stupid G.W.
Bush is.

Dan

You're kidding, aren't you? They have Caesar Chavez's face on a postage
stamp??

http://shop.usps.com/cgi-bin/vsbv/po...sp?OID=4494386

Haha! Oh, that's funny. A man out standing in his field.

Ed Huntress

Ed,
There was a counterfeiting ring in the LA basin some years back that had
Cesar on the 20 dollar bill they made. Huge numbers of the things were
passed in E LA and gave the Secret Service a real fit.

--
John R. Carroll
Machining Solution Software, Inc.

Ed Huntress

"J. R. Carroll" wrote in message
om...

Ed,
There was a counterfeiting ring in the LA basin some years back that had
Cesar on the 20 dollar bill they made. Huge numbers of the things were
passed in E LA and gave the Secret Service a real fit.

Hmm. Do you think anyone would notice if we put Gunner's face on a $100?...

Ed Huntress

Rex B

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 10:39:34 -0500, Glenn Ashmore wrote:

|Talk about pots and kettles! You just need to know a little about
|Rove's history. It has been well established that we is one nasty
|character. The Prince of Darkness and undisputed master of political
|dirty tricks.

I thought that was Lucas?

|His first dirty trick, which he is happy to brag about, was in Illinois
|in 1970. Gaining entry into the office of Alan Dixon, a Democrat running
|for state treasurer, Rove stole campaign stationery and printed false
|invitations to Dixon’s campaign headquarters, promising “free beer, free
|food, girls, and a good time.” They were distributed in places such as
|homeless shelters.

Isn't that essentially what Democrats have used for yers bring out "voters"?
Rove just saved them some postage
Rex in Fort Worth
J. R. Carroll

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
t...
Hmm. Do you think anyone would notice if we put Gunner's face on a

$100?...

Ed Huntress

Probably,
The drool bucket would be hard to miss :)

--
John R. Carroll
Machining Solution Software, Inc.
Los Angeles San Francisco
Portland
www.machiningsolution.com

Glenn Ashmore

Ed Huntress wrote:

"Dan Caster" wrote in message
m...

I have met too many of them. A while back, before Christmas, I was
standing in line at the post office. A woman wanted some colorful
stamps and the clerk gave here some with Ceasar Chavez on them. She
wondered who he was, and later went on and on about how stupid G.W.
Bush is.

Dan

You're kidding, aren't you? They have Caesar Chavez's face on a postage
stamp??

Ed Huntress

Ed,
The USPO is so desperate for new stamps to sell to collectors that if
you keep writing we will see you on a stamp someday. :-)

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Bray Haven

It has been well established that we is one nasty
character. The Prince of Darkness and undisputed master of political
dirty tricks.

I know that might have been a typo but appropriate ). No, it's been well
established that Carville made him look like schoolgirl in that regard.
Greg Sefton
Bray Haven

No wait, there *was* a gay guy who got lynched there
someplace. Tied to a fencepost and beaten? I thought
that was texas.

Jim

I think that was Wyoming or Montana. One of those democrat stronghold in the
mtns ). You think that was political dirty tricks ??
Greg Sefton
Guido

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
The USPO is so desperate for new stamps to sell to collectors that if
you keep writing we will see you on a stamp someday. :-)

Not so far off at all:

jim rozen

In article , Bray Haven says...

I think that was Wyoming or Montana.

Whoops, my error. Hard to keep those lynching
events straight.

Jim

please reply to:

jim rozen

In article , JMartin957 says...

There was
certainly some talk about Clinton's avoidance of his obligation, but I never
recall his opponents bringing it up. They had, I think, a bit more class than
to do that.

Of course his opponents did not fire it right at him, they
hired the Rove-equivelent to 'bring it up' and spread it around.
This is politics, and I guess my point is that what is fair
for the goose is fair for the gander and I am sure that while
kerry is not going to stand up and say 'neener neener neener'
he will still have sombody 'bringing up' the issue with the
press.

Can you see Kerry saying "Service in the Guard is as honorable as service in
any other branch of our military. I believe that George Bush responded
faithfully to his country's call just as faithfully as I did."?

This would be about the same thing as bush saying 'well, hey, it
was only a little romp in the oval office hay, it could happen
to anyone.'

Like you say, not very likely. This is what our particular
flavor of american politics has mophed into over the years.
I just happen to think that the democrats were a bit late
waking up and realizing it.

Anyway there's a very strong suspicion that gwb used
his family influence to get a perk that the ordinary soldier
simply could not obtain, and saying 'gee everyone did this
then' doesn't make him a more palatable leader to me.

I'm honestly not sure that there is a 'right' side of any
political *campaign* issue. I enjoy gunner's counterpoint
and feel honor bound to provide the countercounterpoint.
Otherwise it would be too much like getting somthing for free.

Jim

please reply to:

jim rozen

In article , Gunner says...

Sounds like Rove learned at the foot of the Masters, the Daleys.

Heh. If *only* kerry could find those photographers who
were taking the snapshots of Jane Byrne and her daughter,
and apply that man to GWB, he could have the election
over in a snap!

Jim

please reply to:

jim rozen

In article , Gunner says...

Did anyone know at the time that Johnson would limit his callup to
only 4 squadrons?

Newsflash, GWB really did serve in Vietnam.
Oh, oops. Still wrong. He stayed home.

Jim

please reply to:

jim rozen

In article , Gunner says...

Was his wing given orders to go?

If they had been, his dad would have
pulled the wing-strings and shut that
idea right down.

Jim

please reply to:

Excitable Boy

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message . net...

No doubt about it. This election will be a referendum on Bush more than
anything else. That's usually true when an incumbent President is running.

You could look at it as a test case for a few pithy American homilies :

you can't cheat all the people all the time

or

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 19:53:24 GMT, "Ed Huntress"
brought forth from the murky depths:

"J. R. Carroll" wrote in message
. com...

Ed,
There was a counterfeiting ring in the LA basin some years back that had
Cesar on the 20 dollar bill they made. Huge numbers of the things were
passed in E LA and gave the Secret Service a real fit.

Hmm. Do you think anyone would notice if we put Gunner's face on a $100?...

Not in East HelL.A. they wouldn't. All those faces are
foreign to them.

I was particularly impressed with the Claudia Schiffer
$20 Canuckistani bills a few years ago.

Go Great White North!

--
Impeach 'em ALL!
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming

Abrasha

Bray Haven wrote:

It has been well established that we is one nasty
character. The Prince of Darkness and undisputed master of political
dirty tricks.

I know that might have been a typo but appropriate ). No, it's been well
established that Carville made him look like schoolgirl in that regard.
Greg Sefton

I agree that Rove and Carville are cut from the same cloth, but at least
Carville has a sense of humor and he can be funny as hell.

You have to give the guy (as well as his wife) some credit. He is married to
Mary Matalin, who has served as assistant to the president and as counselor to
the vice president. They are both very dedicated to their side, and at the same
time have managed to build a life and a family together. You have to admire
that.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Ed Huntress

"Excitable Boy" wrote in message
om...
"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

. net...

No doubt about it. This election will be a referendum on Bush more than
anything else. That's usually true when an incumbent President is

running.

You could look at it as a test case for a few pithy American homilies :

you can't cheat all the people all the time

or

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American

public.

Ah, you're just gloating because you don't have to drag yourself out to the
polls anymore. In fact, you can't. g

Ed Huntress

Gunner

On 10 Feb 2004 16:55:19 -0800, jim rozen
wrote:

I'm honestly not sure that there is a 'right' side of any
political *campaign* issue. I enjoy gunner's counterpoint
and feel honor bound to provide the countercounterpoint.
Otherwise it would be too much like getting somthing for free.

Jim

Jim and I work well together. I respect him very much, (even if he is
wrong politically most of the time G) and he makes a very respectable
foil to fence with.

Gunner

The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty."
Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly
save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long
Gunner

On 10 Feb 2004 17:00:23 -0800, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Gunner says...

Was his wing given orders to go?

If they had been, his dad would have
pulled the wing-strings and shut that
idea right down.

Jim

Prove it. Unless you can, its strictly biased Anti-Bush opinion on your
part.

Gunner

The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty."
Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly
save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long
Excitable Boy

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message et...

Ah, you're just gloating because you don't have to drag yourself out to the
polls anymore. In fact, you can't. g

God, that's nice, too. If there's something I see wrong with
the local government I just go talk to someone involved and
make a good, logical case for what I think. No morons with
flags to work into a frothing frenzy, no back-stabbing, lying,
smear campaigns, no intolerable bull**** to listen to from
a bunch of scumsucking cheating hypocrites. Sure, plenty of
doofuses but nothing compared to the crap I see in your so-
called "democracy."

jim rozen

In article , Gunner says...

Prove it. Unless you can, its strictly biased Anti-Bush opinion on your
part.

Umm, Gunner. Wake-up call. This is politics,
the entire *idea* behind the candidates campaign
is to generate "anti-XXXX opinion" about the
opponent, in the voters' minds.

This is why both parties engage in mud-slinging,
it's a time-honored tradition. Fair for republicans,
fair for democrats.

Bush is so sensitive on this issue, he's responding
right from the white house, which is at variance
with his standard rule to only issue statements
like that from his campaign hqs.

Jim

please reply to:

jim rozen

In article , Gunner says...

... (even if he is
wrong politically most of the time G) ...

The feeling, as they say, is "mootual."

Jim

please reply to:

Bray Haven

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American
public.

exactly why Kerry is doing well in Dem primaries. I can't imagine why anyone
would vote for him. But then I can't imagine anyone wasting time watching
Trump's TV show and it has huge ratings. Way back, I couldn't imagine anyone
buying a Ford escort, yet at one time it was the worlds #1 selling car. "Achy
Breaky Heart" etc and so on.. What can you say. Down here in FL the gardeners
say: "Ya can lead a horticulture... but ya can't make 'er think"
Greg Sefton
Bray Haven

Heh. If *only* kerry could find those photographers who
were taking the snapshots of Jane Byrne and her daughter,
and apply that man to GWB, he could have the election
over in a snap!

Jim

Speaking of "Jane" photos, there was one of Kerry with Jane Fonda on the tube
this AM, trashing the military in the 60's. That oughta help his support with
vets )
Greg Sefton
Bray Haven

Anyway there's a very strong suspicion that gwb used
his family influence to get a perk that the ordinary soldier
simply could not obtain, and saying 'gee everyone did this
then' doesn't make him a more palatable leader to me.

No it makes him a smarter one to me. The Dems are whining on this one because
they don't have anything more important to bash him on ). I hope they keep
it up. As you say, politics is getting much worse. Exagerating is one thing;
even embelishing a fact is (and has been normal) but total fabrication is now
becoming the tactic of the democratic party. Throw as much **** as you can
against the wall and see if anything sticks (in the voter's minds). It's not
much but it's all they have and it will likely backfire when people see the
deception. It should be interesting. I wana see Jim pay off on all these
wagers he's taken on ).
Greg Sefton

Bray Haven

I agree that Rove and Carville are cut from the same cloth, but at least
Carville has a sense of humor and he can be funny as hell.

You have to give the guy (as well as his wife) some credit. He is married to
Mary Matalin,

For once I agree with you Abasha. ). I would like to hear some of those
breakfast conversations. Carville's "humor" is often questionable but
sometimes OK. "drag a hundred dollar bill through a trailer park (& you'll
find a clinton girlfriend)..." is one of his classics VBG
Greg Sefton
Sunworshiper

Default OT-I ain't No senator's son...---and I wouldn't trust any of them...

Dan.. for years it was illegal to donate clothing to children in
Mexico.. and everything three months we smuggled clothing and toys for
kids into Matamoroas.. I took over 10,000s lbs into Mexico in five
trips during the Xmas holidays in 1979... sweating bullets.. but
worth it.. those litlle kids had nothing.. and the stores were pretty
poorly stocked so that even with money.. you couldn't buy them stuff..
just with the group I was driving for.. hundreds of kids got some new
and used clothes... also drove about a dozen vehicles down there and
"abandoned".. so folks could have a car...

Later,
Mike

Wow , that's pretty nice of you. I use to go to Mexico every weekend
back then. I even had a job of delivering VCR tapes across the border
everyday , talk about sweating bullets. I wonder why they would make
a law like that , I thought you could take just about anything into
Mexico , its the other way that is scary. Are you still in the RGV?
I miss the beach. Oh yeah, the poverty was pretty bad from what I
saw. How did you find the kids? I'll never forget a radio station I
had to go to between Matamoroas and Raenosa. It had a lumpy dirt floor
with a huge red carpet imbedded into the dirt and had a huge oak desk
with the legs sunk all the way to the bottom of the desk. And the DJ
with the 50's style mic. going "Esta muy muy especial al al al al...."
Gunner

On 11 Feb 2004 05:30:09 -0800, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Gunner says...

Prove it. Unless you can, its strictly biased Anti-Bush opinion on your
part.

Umm, Gunner. Wake-up call. This is politics,
the entire *idea* behind the candidates campaign
is to generate "anti-XXXX opinion" about the
opponent, in the voters' minds.

This is why both parties engage in mud-slinging,
it's a time-honored tradition. Fair for republicans,
fair for democrats.

Bush is so sensitive on this issue, he's responding
right from the white house, which is at variance
with his standard rule to only issue statements
like that from his campaign hqs.

Jim

Here...check for yourself
http://www.foxnews.com/projects/pdf/021004_bushmil.pdf

Gunner

The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty."
Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly
save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long
Gunner

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 15:46:59 GMT, Sunworshiper
wrote:

[...]

sabado sabada Sabado!!!!!!!!!

I used to go into Raenosa a couple times a week, Sams Bar had a great
cantina with really good cabrito asada y aroze. Damn..now my mouth is
watering. Sigh

Gunner

The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty."
Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly
save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long

jim rozen

In article , Bray Haven says...

... It should be interesting. I wana see Jim pay off on all these
wagers he's taken on ).

LOL. There was only one wager and that was offered to
Ed. The substance of it was that Bush would win in a
landslide if they produced Osama within one month before
the election.

He declined that wager, and nobody else picked up on it
either.

Beyond that I don't think you can produce a quote from
me regarding any bet involving politics. Period.

Jim

please reply to:

tonyp

"Bray Haven" wrote

... As you say, politics is getting much worse ...

Compared to when? Have you read _any_ history on presidential campaigns?

-- TP

Sunworshiper

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, you did mention that didn't you. During the same time? I went
almost every Sat. night from '75-'80 and many times woke up with 15
door stamps on my arms. Driving there was fun and I did it with all
types of vehicles. I could tell hordes of stories that I can't say on
the record. We use to gorge on horse meat/carney as ada tacos just to
make it back across the border at 4 am. At the other place right next
to the bridge they had smoked dogs like some kind of german sausage
place with them hanging and nets around them while your eating.

One time this very good friend and I won this verbal bet with blank
blank over blank and he owed us all the gas and any restaurant bill ,
so we went to Mexico at a "primo" place and had so much food it was
beyond believe and the bill was only $38 . I miss them both.