DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Metal surface preparation for painting (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/146365-metal-surface-preparation-painting.html)

Alex February 25th 06 07:15 PM

Metal surface preparation for painting

Does anyone know if paint thinner can be used instead of lacquer thinner for metal
surface preparation before painting? Does paint thinner leave any surface film? (Pain
direction says use lacquer thinner)

Leo Lichtman February 25th 06 10:08 PM

Metal surface preparation for painting

"Alex" wrote: Does anyone know if paint thinner can be used instead of
lacquer thinner for metal surface preparation before painting? (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If the metal is CLEAN, it should not need any solvent washing prior to
painting I spray paint steel all the time without washing it. Most things
that might interfere with paint adhesion, like wax or oil, would be removed
by either paint or lacquer thinner. Silicones are hard to remove, and I'm
not sure even lacquer thinner can do a good job.

[email protected] February 25th 06 11:41 PM

Leo Lichtman wrote:
"Alex" wrote: Does anyone know if paint thinner can be used instead of
lacquer thinner for metal surface preparation before painting? (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If the metal is CLEAN, it should not need any solvent washing prior to
painting I spray paint steel all the time without washing it. Most things
that might interfere with paint adhesion, like wax or oil, would be removed
by either paint or lacquer thinner. Silicones are hard to remove, and I'm
not sure even lacquer thinner can do a good job.

One of the tests done to determine if metal is clean is a water break
test. You just put water on the surface and if it beads up, the
surface is not clean. If it stays in one continuous sheet, the metal
is clean.

Dan

Larry Jaques February 26th 06 12:30 AM

Metal surface preparation for painting

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 21:08:07 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Leo
Lichtman" quickly quoth:

"Alex" wrote: Does anyone know if paint thinner can be used instead of
lacquer thinner for metal surface preparation before painting? (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If the metal is CLEAN, it should not need any solvent washing prior to
painting I spray paint steel all the time without washing it. Most things
that might interfere with paint adhesion, like wax or oil, would be removed
by either paint or lacquer thinner. Silicones are hard to remove, and I'm
not sure even lacquer thinner can do a good job.

Naphtha is one good remover of silicone and many other oily
substances.

- Woodworkers of the world, Repent! Repeat after me:
"Forgive Me Father, For I Have Stained and Polyed."
-
http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design