DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Stupid DC motor control question (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/146151-stupid-dc-motor-control-question.html)

Tom Gardner February 24th 06 01:46 AM

Stupid DC motor control question

I have this perfect Bodine 130v DC gearmotor, except that it's blue,
courtesy of Gunner, for a project. (SEE: one-way clutch) I just got a Dart
Controls control for it on eBay for $26. It puts out 90 or 180 volts with a
115-230 vac input.

Stupid question: (Children should leave the room)

Can I use 2 legs of my 3-phase to power it?

Ned Simmons February 24th 06 02:19 AM

Stupid DC motor control question

In article , "Tom
Gardner" says...
I have this perfect Bodine 130v DC gearmotor, except that it's blue,
courtesy of Gunner, for a project. (SEE: one-way clutch) I just got a Dart
Controls control for it on eBay for $26. It puts out 90 or 180 volts with a
115-230 vac input.

Stupid question: (Children should leave the room)

Can I use 2 legs of my 3-phase to power it?

Yes, assuming you're talking about 240V 3 phase, but the controller will
exceed the motor's nameplate at top speed. The control may have a high
speed limit adjustment that will take care of that.

The 130VDC motors that Bodine builds are unusual. If you use a typical
controller powered by 120VAC the motor won't reach full nameplate speed.
Bodine makes controllers with filtered outputs that will drive their
motors to full speed.

Ned Simmons

Tom Gardner February 24th 06 03:25 AM

Stupid DC motor control question

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
In article , "Tom
Gardner" says...
[...]

Wow, I thought for sure I was going to get lambasted. I don't need the top
speed of 38 rpm, I want about half that. Now I can just tuck the controller
in the spacious 3-phase box.