DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   metal coated plastic (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/145937-metal-coated-plastic.html)

RJ February 22nd 06 03:56 AM

metal coated plastic

Looking for a source where there would be a layer of aluminum about 1/16
inch thick bonded to a layer of plastic, somewhat heat resistant about 1/8
inch thick. This would be cut into 3 inch square pieces. Anyone hear of
anything like this?

Dave Lyon February 22nd 06 08:37 PM

metal coated plastic

Some types of siding (for houses) are similar to what you describe, but I
don't think it's that thick.

How about the plates they use for printing?

~Roy~ February 22nd 06 09:49 PM

metal coated plastic

The state of alabama uses a material that is thin aluminum bonded on
twqo sides of a plastic sheet for highway signs and traffic signs now
instead of the tyupicall all aluminum sheets. I have a few of the
signs I have a few signs I acquired after hurricanes etc, as well as
some new unused stock I scrounged form the ALA DOT boys, and its about
like the material yoour looking for. IIRC its made by Lyons something
or other. Aluminum is approx .030-040 thick on both sides on a 1/8"
think plastic material.........some really tuff stuff but easy to work
with. They just apply the various reflective materials directly on the
one side. Check a couple of highway , stop signs etc in yuor area as
they m ay alaso be using this stuff in your local........and if so
contact the signs division of your local DOT or municipal boys.

--
\\\|///
( @ @ )

oooO
---------( )----Oooo----------------
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder ! Koi-ahoi mates....

digitalmaster February 22nd 06 10:14 PM

metal coated plastic

"RJ" wrote in message
Looking for a source where there would be a layer of aluminum about 1/16
inch thick bonded to a layer of plastic, somewhat heat resistant about 1/8
inch thick. This would be cut into 3 inch square pieces. Anyone hear of
anything like this?

sounds like what is used in aircraft for bathroom mirrors...it has metal
(al.or stainless) bonded to clear plastic.You might do a search under
aviation supplies.Can be sheared or jig sawed.