Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Dincau

Default Table keys?

I am looking for a source for what we used to call at the lazy , a table
key. A hardened steel pin 1.000 dia X 1.5 inches long with a pair of
parallel flats on one end .875 across and .75 across. They were inserted in
one inch tooling holes in a fixture and the flats keyed the fixture parallel
to the keyways on the mill. I need a pair for the .625 T-slots on my
machine.
Jim

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brian Lawson

Hey Jim,

That's a kinda neat but elaborate idea/trick/hint. I just use 3"
long hardened .625 round pins, and after inserting they can be "laid
down" to accommodate the height if less than ~2" protruding is
desired.

I also have a pair of 2 X 3 flat plates .625 thick. The flat plates
are tougher to get in and out of the slots as easy as the rounds, but
they have an advantage in that you can C-clamp something to them if
needed. I've thought of putting a "pry hole" through them to aid in
removal, but never got around to it. Never tried it because no holes,
but I suspect placed correctly these pry holes might allow an angle
plate to be bolted on instead of clamped. The angle and flats
combination gives a nice square corner for some jobs.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 19:43:09 -0800, "Jim Dincau"
wrote:

I am looking for a source for what we used to call at the lazy , a table
key. A hardened steel pin 1.000 dia X 1.5 inches long with a pair of
parallel flats on one end .875 across and .75 across. They were inserted in
one inch tooling holes in a fixture and the flats keyed the fixture parallel
to the keyways on the mill. I need a pair for the .625 T-slots on my
machine.
Jim

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Koz

Jim Dincau wrote:

I am looking for a source for what we used to call at the lazy , a table
key. A hardened steel pin 1.000 dia X 1.5 inches long with a pair of
parallel flats on one end .875 across and .75 across. They were inserted in
one inch tooling holes in a fixture and the flats keyed the fixture parallel
to the keyways on the mill. I need a pair for the .625 T-slots on my
machine.
Jim

Try MSC and search for either fixture keys or sine keys. They've got
some really slick set ups to do what you want. There's quite a variety
of options, some of which may be even better than you used in the past.

For the newbies here....http://www.mscdirect.com

koz