Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

Default Cheneys hunting buddy has a heart attack

On 20 Feb 2006 22:01:18 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "Gus"
quickly quoth:

jim rozen wrote:

--snip--
They were actually bumping into each other and shooting each other.
It was the classic Charlie Foxtrot. And she realized it instantly.

That Cheney pulled that idiocy after telling us how often he hunts,
etc. speaks volumes. Is this how sanely, maturely, safely, and
efficiently he spends his time in D.C., too? (I'd love to add another
suggestive statement to that but the SS would be at my door in a wink
if I did.)

I think that in the grand scheme of things, this is a small event.
Cheney admitted that it was all his fault. Maybe it's time to move on.

Yes, let's replace Shrub's handler and move on. Man, these folks make
me ashamed ever to have called myself a Republican for any of those
30+ years.

--
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly
is to fill the world with fools.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
rigger

jim rozen wrote:

[...]

Ha Ha Ha. Don't worry Larry. Ha Ha Ha Everyone knows we're just
having good clean fun here Larry, nothing to fear. Ha Ha Ha

But just in case, maybe have the wife (if you happen to have one) go
visit some relatives for a while. If they think you're suspicious
enough; well you know what they like to do then. The *******s.

dennis
in nca

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
rigger

Gus wrote:
jim rozen wrote:
In article , Ed Huntress says...

I'm just curious, because there are a lot of hunters he Has anyone ever
heard of swinging *behind* the line of hunters being an accepted practice?
Maybe it's different in different parts of the country.

I don't know about hunting, but at the shooting range I go to, the
range officers carry sidearms. The gloat here is that the range
just re-opened after over a year of renovation and my daughter and I
went today to perforate a few targets. :^)

I always joke with her, that the reason folks there are so well
behaved about keeping their barrels pointed downrange is, that
the range officer will shoot them if they don't - or if they perform
any otherwise unsafe activity.

It was a pleasure to see her bewilderment when the entire story
about what Cheney had done, and how that event actually happened.
I could see the light bulb come on, she was thinking "he did *this*
wrong, then they did *that* wrong, and then they had had a few beers
with lunch...."

They were actually bumping into each other and shooting each other.
It was the classic Charlie Foxtrot. And she realized it instantly.

Jim

I think that in the grand scheme of things, this is a small event.
Cheney admitted that it was all his fault. Maybe it's time to move on.

And just forget about it just like we're supposed to do about all the
Halliburton crap??? And the billions up-in-smoke??? And everything
else???

In fact I'll bet he can't understand all the furor considering he
probably feels it was so easy before.

And you agree???

He doesn't realize he's not going to pull the wool over the eyes of
experienced field hunters the way he manages to do to others in other
situations. And they're not going to forget. Let him cook.

dennis
in nca

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
J. Clarke

wrote:

Gunner wrote:
On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 07:16:04 -0500, Grunty Grogan wrote:

On 14 Feb 2006 22:10:37 GMT, Ignoramus21707
wrote:

That covers a lot of different scenarios. Was Cheney drunk? Was he
acting recklessly, with gross violations of safety standards? I want
to have a mental picture of what happened.

Basically, Cheney made a horrible mistake, in that he shot a lawyer
out of season.

Lawyer Season begins on "Law Day", May First. At that time, they are
still plump, and have not yet started breeding.

Ever try to clean one of those things?

Id have thought the Lefties would have been overjoyed. After all..the
victim was a Republican lawyer.....

Harry Whittington is apparently a pretty decent guy, with enlightened
ideas:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/02/...215profile.php

That said, skeet high-houses are pockmarked w/ shotgun pellet imprints,
even though the idea is to hit the pigeon while it's flying over the
field. Accidents happen, and Mr. Whittington seems to be doing well.
All of us who have ever fired a gun should remember "there but for the
grace of [deity-of-your-choice] go I." Stand BEHIND the
shooter....ALWAYS.

Apparently that's what this guy did, the trouble is that he didn't let the
shooter know that he was there.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
J. Clarke

Ed Huntress wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Ok, but then the question is, what is somebody who is BEHIND the shooter
doing getting shot?

That's my question. Where in this country is it considered Ok to shoot
behind the line of hunters? Maybe south Texas, eh?

I don't know. I've never heard of it before, but maybe they have a little
more fateful approach to hunting down there.

I wasn't there, I don't know what happened, other than various garbled
reports. Was there in fact a line of hunters or just the two guys out in
the woods?

It's easy to criticize when you don't have all the facts.

I agree that it shouldn't have happened, but the fact is that people screw
up and making some huge political witch hunt out of it seems to be
pointless.

--
Ed Huntress

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John

Ed Huntress wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...

That said, skeet high-houses are pockmarked w/ shotgun pellet imprints,
even though the idea is to hit the pigeon while it's flying over the
field. Accidents happen, and Mr. Whittington seems to be doing well.
All of us who have ever fired a gun should remember "there but for the
grace of [deity-of-your-choice] go I." Stand BEHIND the
shooter....ALWAYS.

From the accounts, it sounds like you would have to be driving an ATV in
circles at 60 mph to stay behind Cheney. He apparently swung behind himself.

I'm just curious, because there are a lot of hunters he Has anyone ever
heard of swinging *behind* the line of hunters being an accepted practice?
Maybe it's different in different parts of the country.

--
Ed Huntress

If he can violate wiretapping laws, what's a little rule like not
swinging behind the line of hunters mean to him?

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
rigger

Ed Huntress wrote:

I wasn't there, I don't know what happened, other than various garbled
reports. Was there in fact a line of hunters or just the two guys out in
the woods?

Does thrree people make a "line"? That's the number they reported.

It's easy to criticize when you don't have all the facts.

You expected "who" would supply all these facts?

I agree that it shouldn't have happened, but the fact is that people screw
up and making some huge political witch hunt out of it seems to be
pointless.

Ed Huntress

Right you are Ed. By the way, is this person we've been discussing,
one of those folks who sneaked into the Republican tent you mentioned?

dennis
in nca

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
J. Clarke

rigger wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:

I wasn't there, I don't know what happened, other than various garbled
reports. Was there in fact a line of hunters or just the two guys out in
the woods?

Does thrree people make a "line"? That's the number they reported.

That depends on how they are oriented and what, exactly they are doing.

It's easy to criticize when you don't have all the facts.

You expected "who" would supply all these facts?

I never expect anybody on USENET to supply any facts. But every once in a
while someone surprises me.

I agree that it shouldn't have happened, but the fact is that people
screw up and making some huge political witch hunt out of it seems to be
pointless.

Ed Huntress

Right you are Ed. By the way, is this person we've been discussing,
one of those folks who sneaked into the Republican tent you mentioned?

Uh, what is Ed right about?

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
rigger

J. Clarke wrote:
rigger wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:

[...]

Please see my preceeding post to Ed.

dennis
in nca

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
J. Clarke

rigger wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:
"rigger" wrote in message
ups.com...

Ed Huntress wrote:

I wasn't there, I don't know what happened, other than various
garbled
reports. Was there in fact a line of hunters or just the two guys
out

in
the woods?

Does thrree people make a "line"? That's the number they reported.

It's easy to criticize when you don't have all the facts.

You expected "who" would supply all these facts?

I agree that it shouldn't have happened, but the fact is that people

screw
up and making some huge political witch hunt out of it seems to be
pointless.

Ed Huntress

Right you are Ed. By the way, is this person we've been discussing,
one of those folks who sneaked into the Republican tent you mentioned?

Ah, you quoted John there, Dennis, and then appended my name to it. Those
aren't my words.

--
Ed Huntress

I just looked at the post again Ed and sure enough, John posted and
left your name under his post. Then further down the page he added
his. Very sloppy posting on his part but mia culpa. ;(

dennis
in nca

If your newsreader is doing its job it puts attributions at the _top_ of the
post. Those are the ones to follow.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Rand

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 07:45:06 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

From what I've been able to make out, there was a line of three; the one on
the left dropped back; he was coming back up when he got shot. One account
said he was still behind. The others don't say.

So, we don't know for sure where he was, and, as I've said, we'll probably
never know. But I was asking the question in case we *do* find out. I'd like
to know if it's acceptable practice, anywhere, to swing behind the line when
there are other people behind you.

Keep in mind that among the other people behind were the land owner, the dog
handler, at least two SS men, and the lawyer.

I agree that it shouldn't have happened, but the fact is that people screw
up and making some huge political witch hunt out of it seems to be
pointless.

I'm not making a witch hunt out of it. I want to know if they swing around
behind the line of hunters in southern quail hunting. I'm curious as an old
hunting-safety instructor.

It was all the quail's fault for flying South of the line!

Mark Rand (running, ducking)
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

wrote:

I'm not making a witch hunt out of it. I want to know if they swing

around
behind the line of hunters in southern quail hunting. I'm curious as an

old
hunting-safety instructor.

It was all the quail's fault for flying South of the line!

Mark Rand (running, ducking)

All of Cheney's party agrees, that was a Democrat quail. He wasn't playing
fair.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

In article , Ed Huntress says...

All of Cheney's party agrees, that was a Democrat quail. He wasn't playing
fair.

The sneaky so-and-so. He tricked them all, got one republican to
shoot another republican! Well, I guess there's been a fair amount
of that going on recently.

Jim

please reply to:
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Ed Huntress says...

All of Cheney's party agrees, that was a Democrat quail. He wasn't

playing
fair.

The sneaky so-and-so. He tricked them all, got one republican to
shoot another republican! Well, I guess there's been a fair amount
of that going on recently.

The neocons were having a rough week or two even before they started
shooting their friends.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

The neocons were having a rough week or two even before they started
shooting their friends.

Neocons have -friends-? Whoda thunk it?

Fukuyama's article was great, BTW.

Yeah, he's a very glib guy, and a smart one. He always shines an interesting
light on politics and history.

He's especially good for things like this, giving a good rundown of
neo-conservatism, especially because he was one of the important thinkers
and philosophers in the whole neocon project. But don't take him without
some skepticism. He has the heart of a writer/professor, with an overweening
need to have it all make sense, even when it doesn't make a lot of it.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Glenn Ashmore

What got me right off in that article is how Fukuyama always referred to the
Neocons as "they" when he was in the thick of the Neocon group until it
started going south.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

The neocons were having a rough week or two even before they started
shooting their friends.

Neocons have -friends-? Whoda thunk it?

Fukuyama's article was great, BTW.

Yeah, he's a very glib guy, and a smart one. He always shines an
interesting
light on politics and history.

He's especially good for things like this, giving a good rundown of
neo-conservatism, especially because he was one of the important thinkers
and philosophers in the whole neocon project. But don't take him without
some skepticism. He has the heart of a writer/professor, with an
overweening
need to have it all make sense, even when it doesn't make a lot of it.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
What got me right off in that article is how Fukuyama always referred to

the
Neocons as "they" when he was in the thick of the Neocon group until it
started going south.

Editorial distance. It's convenient from time to time. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 22:35:47 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

That said, skeet high-houses are pockmarked w/ shotgun pellet imprints,
even though the idea is to hit the pigeon while it's flying over the
field. Accidents happen, and Mr. Whittington seems to be doing well.
All of us who have ever fired a gun should remember "there but for the
grace of [deity-of-your-choice] go I." Stand BEHIND the
shooter....ALWAYS.

From the accounts, it sounds like you would have to be driving an ATV in
circles at 60 mph to stay behind Cheney. He apparently swung behind himself.

I'm just curious, because there are a lot of hunters he Has anyone ever
heard of swinging *behind* the line of hunters being an accepted practice?
Maybe it's different in different parts of the country.

Its acceptable if you are on the left or right end of the hunting
line. And in this case..this appears to be what happened.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 23:25:44 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .

The neocons were having a rough week or two even before they started
shooting their friends.

Neocons have -friends-? Whoda thunk it?

Fukuyama's article was great, BTW.

Yeah, he's a very glib guy, and a smart one. He always shines an interesting
light on politics and history.

He's especially good for things like this, giving a good rundown of
neo-conservatism, especially because he was one of the important thinkers
and philosophers in the whole neocon project. But don't take him without
some skepticism.

I seldom work without a shaker of salt handy, Ed. I don't read enough
current trend data to formulate the overviews these guys do, so I
welcome the summaries I'll never reach on my own.

He has the heart of a writer/professor, with an overweening
need to have it all make sense, even when it doesn't make a lot of it.

Heh heh heh. That last sentence shows that you grok the concept in its
entirety.

--
It is only when we forget all our learning that we begin to know.
--Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 10:16:11 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner
quickly quoth:

wrote:

I'm just curious, because there are a lot of hunters he Has anyone ever
heard of swinging *behind* the line of hunters being an accepted practice?
Maybe it's different in different parts of the country.

Its acceptable if you are on the left or right end of the hunting
line. And in this case..this appears to be what happened.

I'm surprised that one of the large covy of SS agents didn't get hit
first, though they were probably watching all of the hunters like
hawks vs. scouting for birds. They probably fluttered less, too.

--
It is only when we forget all our learning that we begin to know.
--Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

wrote:

I'm just curious, because there are a lot of hunters he Has anyone

ever
heard of swinging *behind* the line of hunters being an accepted

practice?
Maybe it's different in different parts of the country.

Its acceptable if you are on the left or right end of the hunting
line. And in this case..this appears to be what happened.

Gunner

Yeah, well, they don't seem to go for that in Texas. What they teach is
about what I was taught by the NRA to teach:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/learning...ls/zones.phtml

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 11:57:46 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"Gunner" wrote in message
Its acceptable if you are on the left or right end of the hunting
line. And in this case..this appears to be what happened.

Yeah, well, they don't seem to go for that in Texas. What they teach is

about what I was taught by the NRA to teach:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/learning...ls/zones.phtml

This just in:

--snip--

WASHINGTON, D.C. - A white house source stated that Congress is
considering awarding Vice-president Dick Cheney the Medal of Freedom,
the national highest civilian commendation, for his act of bravery in
shooting an attorney.

The source was quoted to say, "All Americans have wanted to shoot a
lawyer at one time or another and Cheney actually had the balls to do
it."

In a related story, the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, which
issues hunting licenses, said that it will start requiring hunters,
wishing to bag a lawyer, to have the new "lawyer's stamp" on their
hunting license. Currently Texas hunters are required to carry stamps
for hunting birds, deer, and bear, at a cost of $7 annually. The new
"lawyers stamp" will cost $100, but open season will be all year long.

The department further stated that although the "lawyers stamp" comes
at hefty price, advance sales have been brisk and it is believed it
will generate annual revenues in excess of $3 billion dollars the
first year. Other states are considering similar hunting license
stamps.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Bill to Regulate the Hunting and Harvesting of Attorneys

370.01 Any person with a valid in-state rodent or snake hunting
license may also hunt and harvest attorneys for recreational and sport
(non-commercial) purposes.

370.02 Taking of attorneys with traps or deadfalls is permitted. The
use of United States currency as bait, however, is prohibited.

370.03 Stuffed or mounted attorneys must have a state health
department inspection for rabies, and vermin.

370.04 The willful killing of attorneys with a motor vehicle is
prohibited, unless such vehicle is an ambulance being driven in
reverse. If an attorney is accidentally struck by a motor vehicle, the
dead attorney should be removed to the roadside, and the vehicle
should proceed immediately to the nearest car wash.

370.05 It is unlawful to chase, herd or harvest attorneys from a power
boat, helicopter or aircraft.

370.06 It is unlawful to shout, "WHIPLASH", "AMBULANCE", or "FREE
SCOTCH" for the purposes of trapping attorneys.

370.07 It is unlawful to hunt attorneys within 100 yards of BMW,
Mercedes or Porsche dealerships, except on Wednesday afternoon.

370.08 It is unlawful to hunt attorneys within 200 yards of
courtrooms, law libraries, health clubs, country clubs, hospitals or
brothels.

370.09 If an attorney gains elective office, it is not necessary to
have a license to hunt, trap or possess the same.

370.10 It is unlawful for a hunter to wear a disguise as a reporter,
drugdealer, pimp, female legal clerk, sheep, accident victim, bookie,
physician, chiropractor or tax accountant for the purpose of hunting
attorneys.

370.11 Bag and Possession Limits per day:

Yellow-bellied sidewinders, 2;
Two-faced tortfeasors, 1;
Back-stabbing divorce litigators, 3;
Horn-rimmed cut-throats, 2;
Minutiae-advocating dirtbags, 4.
Honest attorneys protected (Endangered Species Act).

--snip--

- Woodworkers of the world, Repent! Repeat after me:
"Forgive Me Father, For I Have Stained and Polyed."
-
http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

wrote:

I'm just curious, because there are a lot of hunters he Has anyone ever
heard of swinging *behind* the line of hunters being an accepted practice?
Maybe it's different in different parts of the country.

Its acceptable if you are on the left or right end of the hunting
line. And in this case..this appears to be what happened.

I'm surprised that one of the large covy of SS agents didn't get hit
first, though they were probably watching all of the hunters like
hawks vs. scouting for birds. They probably fluttered less, too.

More than likely..they are standing directly behind and to the off
side of their princibles. I would be.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

370.05 It is unlawful to chase, herd or harvest attorneys from a power
boat, helicopter or aircraft.

That's my favorite. g

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

wrote:

I'm just curious, because there are a lot of hunters he Has anyone ever
heard of swinging *behind* the line of hunters being an accepted practice?
Maybe it's different in different parts of the country.

Its acceptable if you are on the left or right end of the hunting
line. And in this case..this appears to be what happened.

I'm surprised that one of the large covy of SS agents didn't get hit
first, though they were probably watching all of the hunters like
hawks vs. scouting for birds. They probably fluttered less, too.

More than likely..they are standing directly behind and to the off
side of their princibles. I would be.

Gunner

We've noticed..:-)

You have watched me doing Executive Risk Management? Or were you with
me in RVN?

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

This wasn't on state land and the end person has an option of the end.

Sometimes it is the best shot other times it is the lucky one or special one.
Wider area of bird flight is possible that way.

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

wrote:

I'm just curious, because there are a lot of hunters he Has anyone

ever

heard of swinging *behind* the line of hunters being an accepted

practice?

Maybe it's different in different parts of the country.

Its acceptable if you are on the left or right end of the hunting
line. And in this case..this appears to be what happened.

Gunner

Yeah, well, they don't seem to go for that in Texas. What they teach is
about what I was taught by the NRA to teach:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/learning...ls/zones.phtml

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
This wasn't on state land and the end person has an option of the end.

Huh? There are different safety practices for state land versus private
land?

Where did they teach you that, Martin? Have you ever taught hunter safety? I
have.

Look, this is all a go-around for nothing. I know what the hunter safety
practices are, as responsible hunters developed them and as they were
refined by the NRA over many decades. They're simple, they make sense, and
they keep people from having more than an absolute minimum number of
"accidents."

I also know that a substantial percentage of hunters don't follow them.
They're the ones we called "slobs" when I was involved in hunter safety, in
the DCM, and in the PAL, Boy Scout, and private-club hunting organizations
when I was a teenager and into young adulthood.

A slob is a slob. Slobs are dangerous. Slobs stretch or break the rules of
good safety practices. They're the ones that rack up the "accident" numbers
in hunting.

Fortunately, they're on the decline. Hunting actually is getting safer.
That's because a lot of people in NRA and elsewhere worked with the states
to develop good hunter-safety practices, and to make sure young hunters pass
tests on them before they go into the field.

As for Cheney, I'm withholding judgment on that whole deal, because I don't
really know where that lawyer was. If the White House's PR spokesman is
right, that the lawyer "didn't follow protocol," then it's one stinking
protocol. The way he described it, somebody can get shot if ONE person makes
a mistake. Good hunting practices should keep anyone from getting shot
unless at least TWO people make mistakes.

Those guys at the White House, if they actually know what they're talking
about (and they almost certainly have no clue; they were just parroting
something they were told to say) have a bad attitude and a poor
understanding of what hunting safety is about. Or, more likely, they were
talking through their collective ass.

--
Ed Huntress

OT - Blue & Red jim rozen Metalworking 238 August 4th 05 05:45 PM
Gunner: I'm back Gunner Metalworking 388 July 9th 04 12:35 AM
OT- VOTERS` VIEWS ON FIREARM OWNERS` RIGHTS AND HUNTING Gunner Metalworking 20 January 28th 04 05:45 AM