Sunworshiper

Default Alternative Fuels (was Cliff's Magic Bowl -10 inch OD 30 inch OD Circumference)

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 20:14:27 GMT, wrote:

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 18:07:23 GMT, Sunworshiper
wrote:

I'm going to do it anyhow. Does anyone know how I could find out how
many dual axis trackers are sold in the world? Why is it that you
don't think "people" want the complexity of them?

I doubt there's any way to figure out how many there are. We live in
an area with hundreds, perhaps thousands of off-gridders, and I talk
to every one I come across. I also follow several energy related
newsgroups. My take on trackers is that probably less than 10% of
installations use them. Some make a fair argument that they're not
worth the extra cost. The other thing is that PV has zero complexity,
while trackers add some potential for failure. Have you checked out
this site yet?
http://www.redrok.com/main.htm

That's interesting, I think I can cure that problem. Yes, Dwayne is
cool and extremely ambitious also , I'd love to visit him. He's right
up there in Yooper country , if I ever get dragged up there I'll have
more to do than stick around other peoples' visits. He has a plane
also. My stuff is on the site. He's like a black hole for info. like
we think about tools.

I'm sure I'm bias ,
but if you don't track your not serious. Got any thoughts on not
liking one tracker to hold all your PV's? I've never talked to an
owner before. I have a feeling I'll make more from the robotic
mechanical spin offs.

We started off with 1200 Watts of PV, which was a bit too much for a
single installation of the trackers available at the time. Later we
added another 800 Watts on a third tracker. If I had it to do over,
there'd be a single array now that trackers that size are available.

Really? Who makes something that big and not cost a fortune? Maybe
I've been out of the loop too long...

I read a lot of your site , what did(do) you do for a living?

I started at various mechanic/fabricator type jobs. Motorcycle
mechanic for a time, eventually had a small manufacturing biz, finally
graduated to profiting from real estate inflation by selling our own
homes. I think that part might be over though now that we live here.
Unless the price of rocks and cactus takes off. :-)

I'm
right with ya except buying a broken bull dozer and fixing it , that
sounds very ambitious to me. I can just hear it. "Honey , I'm going to
buy a broken tank , I know how to fix it , its just a transmission
rebuild , no problem."

Here's what you should do - tell your wife that you're going to build
an aircraft in your garage. Copies of Sport Aviation and Trade-a-plane
would make good props. As she's packing her suitcase, tell her that
you'll settle for a dozer restoration instead. ;-)

LOL , is that how it's done? I've been really close to doing that and
never thought that. Its cause they want you to stay on the ground?

Also , how did you figure out how much power was needed to raise and
lower your tower?

I made a small model and performed complex calculations, most of which
I knew were probably wrong. Then I realized that I had a left-over
cube-shaped tank that would probably be close enough for the
counterweight if filled with concrete. Once I tried it, I only had to
move the cable attach point about 8 feet sigh from where it was
planned to be. I should shrink the counterweight quite a bit, but
since the tower has only ever been down a couple times, refining the
setup is way down on my list of priorities. The main winch was plenty
oversized, plus it was what HF had on sale for $300.

Wayne

Ed Huntress

wrote in message

Northern AZ, not too far below Grand Canyon West. About 4500' ASL at
the house. Can't have outdoor cats here unless we wanted to replace
them regularly. Only occasionally have to wonder whether something
might eat the dogs. Definitely not NJ. Aren't you afraid to live so
close to the Sopranos? ;-)

Wayne

Hell, we ARE the Sopranos. If you don't believe me, we'll send Nunzio over
for a visit. g

'Sorry to say, I haven't visited that area. I used to hunt javelina in AZ,
but that was on the White Mountain Apache Indian Reservation. That and
Phoenix are all I know about your state, although I've been told that I'd
like Flagstaff a great deal. It's all quite a beautiful spectacle for
someone from the East.

Ed Huntress

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 21:01:42 GMT, Sunworshiper
wrote:

Really? Who makes something that big and not cost a fortune? Maybe
I've been out of the loop too long...

http://www.wattsun.com/products/watt..._trackers.html
It won't be cheap. Nice setup though.

Wayne

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 21:05:20 GMT, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

Northern AZ, not too far below Grand Canyon West. About 4500' ASL at
the house. Can't have outdoor cats here unless we wanted to replace
them regularly. Only occasionally have to wonder whether something
might eat the dogs. Definitely not NJ. Aren't you afraid to live so
close to the Sopranos? ;-)

Wayne

Hell, we ARE the Sopranos. If you don't believe me, we'll send Nunzio over
for a visit. g

You know which head-to-head I'd like to see? Tony Soprano being
accosted by Susie Greene. I say she can take him. :-)

'Sorry to say, I haven't visited that area. I used to hunt javelina in AZ,
but that was on the White Mountain Apache Indian Reservation. That and
Phoenix are all I know about your state, although I've been told that I'd
like Flagstaff a great deal. It's all quite a beautiful spectacle for
someone from the East.

Ed Huntress

AZ is neat in that it has tree-covered mountain tops, smokin' desert,
and quite a bit in between. Lots of great scenery in the east though.
Hard to top motorcycling on the Blue Ridge Parkway for instance.

Wayne

Old Nick

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 03:13:25 -0500, "John Keeney"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Until we know how many of those KWHs you use per month, your
comparison needs modification.

I reckon I use maybe 1500 KWH/month. At your 5c/KWH, that's $75/month
(you guys get cheap power by the way). This equals say $1000/year.

1500 KWH/month = an average of 2.1 KW. But we have to generate this in
about say, 8 hours? So we need to have 3 times that to meet the
consumption. 6.3 KW

To buy the modules for this would cost, as I saw the listing (where I
did not see anything for $2/watt) around 2.8 * 6300 = $17500.

So I am seeing a 17 year payoff at your rates (about 9 at mine! :-)

As you say, that does not include any generation infrastructure,
batteries etc.

HOWEVER. When I moved here, it cost me $11000 to get the power put on
ten years ago. IT may be more than that now. That makes a considerable
difference. It brings the nett cost of installing SOLAR _panels_
(again not all the extra gear) down to around $6500.

I reckon it would also make a joke of "selling the power to the
authority, in that you waould have to have gear set up exactly to
their requirements, at some fantastic cost.

For instance, we asked to have the 33KV power _removed_ from our
place. We figured they would get some poles, wire, transformer etc.
Nope. The poles no longer met specs. The transformer likewise. We
wanted the power taken back to the boundary, and then we would supply
our own underground....$1000 to bury an earth pole at the base of the
power pole. It was going to cost us $8000 to have the power _removed_.

When I asked back when we first put the power in place, Solar was not
worth it. It _may_ be getting closer. I have to say that there is no
_way_ I would get solar panels at the prices shown. I would probably
pay triple. So it recedes again.

wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 01:46:25 -0500, "John Keeney"
wrote:

That's all nice, but the real question to be answered is:
"What's the cost per peek watt for your cells/modules?"

As low as $2 a Watt.
https://www.sunelec.com/Clearance/So...r_modules.html

Well, that sucks as compared to the 4-9 cents per kilowatt hour I
pay monthly. At 5 cents your looking at better than 27 years ROI
if the controllers & storage came for free (and no money cost).
And that's for close out stock.
What I was wondering was if the cells Martin was talking about
comes close to this price per watt.

************************************************** ** sorry

..........no I'm not!

Spike....Spike? Hello?

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 15:07:19 GMT, "Ed Huntress"
brought forth from the murky depths:

wrote in message
.. .

If you want to read the gory details, they're here
www.citlink.net/~wmbjk

I'm not surprised they ask. It looks like a gutsy undertaking from the very
start.

No kidding.

From the looks of the shrubbery, you aren't near New Jersey g, but it's
something I'd like to see.

That looks like Gunner's (or my old) back yard.

..-.
Better Living Through Denial
---
http://www.diversify.com Wondrous Website Design
Martin H. Eastburn

wrote:
On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 15:07:19 GMT, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

wrote

Thanks Ed. Very flattering coming from you. The satisfaction is hard
to put into words. Fortunately I don't have to do it very often....
most people just want to know what possessed us to even conceive of
the project. :-)

I'm not surprised they ask. It looks like a gutsy undertaking from the very
start.

It snuck up on us. We had a bunch of wants, but couldn't afford most
of them. When real estate agents suggested property that was "only" 3
miles from power, we had to say "too far". But once we discovered we
could handle off-grid living, a whole bunch of possibilities became
affordable. Now 3 miles was too *close*. Hell, 10 miles was too close,
some developer might actually put in the wires. Main objective was to
move in next to the best neighbors. After a lifetime of exhaustive
review, I've decided that snakes are the preferred species. :-)

From the looks of the shrubbery, you aren't near New Jersey g, but it's

something I'd like to see.

Northern AZ, not too far below Grand Canyon West. About 4500' ASL at
the house. Can't have outdoor cats here unless we wanted to replace
them regularly. Only occasionally have to wonder whether something
might eat the dogs. Definitely not NJ. Aren't you afraid to live so
close to the Sopranos? ;-)

Wayne

My parents live somewhat south of you but north of Phoenix. They had a dog
snatched off the front step by a Mexican Eagle - The dog was about 6 pounds and
was easy pray I guess. Took a while before mom got another dog, but she has
a Sony Electronic one as well - I think she had some plans.
They have a watering hole - a.k.a. pond without fish - they were fished out.
But all sorts of walking stuff come in for a drink at sunrise.

The way they feel now - moving in from a ranch in Texas - protect what wonders
and hope they get the rats and vermin in the process. Development is moving
closer so help isn't a bad thing. They like living on the edge in their middle 80's.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer

NRA LOH, NRA Life

Gary Coffman

Default the Home Schooled was Clark is correct

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 18:11:26 GMT, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
I hope without making a bigger deal of this, my experience is that lectures
are nothing but books-on-tape. If it can be delivered in a big lecture,
there is no excuse for delivering it in a classroom at all. If it requires
some visual aids, it could be done better on videotape. That isn't teaching.
That's presenting.

I think that depends a lot on the lecturer. I wasn't fortunate enough to
attend one of Feynman's lectures, but I've talked to students who did,
and they say they were extraordinary. I do have first hand experience
with lectures by Milton Friedman, and they were extraordinary.

Perhaps videotape could convey the same experience, though I doubt
it. But if it could, what a great teaching tool it would be.

OTOH, I've suffered through way too many lectures where the teacher
merely recited a textbook. So I know what you mean about "talking books".
That's more than dull, especially since I can read far faster than a person
can talk, while maintaining what is probably greater comprehension than
can be gotten from a bore droning along at 1/10th the information rate.

Gary
Ed Huntress

wrote:
I hope without making a bigger deal of this, my experience is that

lectures
are nothing but books-on-tape. If it can be delivered in a big lecture,
there is no excuse for delivering it in a classroom at all. If it

requires
some visual aids, it could be done better on videotape. That isn't

teaching.
That's presenting.

I think that depends a lot on the lecturer. I wasn't fortunate enough to
attend one of Feynman's lectures, but I've talked to students who did,
and they say they were extraordinary. I do have first hand experience
with lectures by Milton Friedman, and they were extraordinary.

Perhaps videotape could convey the same experience, though I doubt
it. But if it could, what a great teaching tool it would be.

I had the interesting experience of being part of two such pioneering
programs, and they worked very well. As a 9-11 year-old I was a student in
Washington County, Maryland, which had a huge experimental video project
funded by the Ford Foundation. Almost all of our classes included a lecture
delivered by a superior teacher from a CATV studio in Hagerstown (this was
pre-videotape). It was excellent, and the presentation included some
advanced production that couldn't have been delivered in a classroom.

At Michigan State, starting in 1966, we had a pioneering videotaped lecture
program. My big, intro Economics class was taught by an excellent presenter
and economist (Al Mandlestam) to a class of around 350. All of the lectures
were taped and re-run throughout campus several times each week. We didn't
have to go to the lectures. We could watch them at off times, right in our
residence-hall dorms. The program was extended to virtually all classes with
big lectures.

I don't know what became of the Washington County program. At the time I
thought we were the wave of the future, and that all school systems would
have it eventually. But I've seen only a little of it around the country.

OTOH, I've suffered through way too many lectures where the teacher
merely recited a textbook. So I know what you mean about "talking books".
That's more than dull, especially since I can read far faster than a

person
can talk, while maintaining what is probably greater comprehension than
can be gotten from a bore droning along at 1/10th the information rate.

Particularly in public schools, the larger the class, the lower the
assumption of students' least-common denominator. They tend to be
slow-moving classes.

Ed Huntress

Dan Caster

Hmmm. I see teaching as something different from you. I think the
first thing done in any teaching is the presenting, that you don't
consider teaching. The second thing is determining if the student
understands what is presented. This is followed by more presenting
focused on whatever aspect the student did not understand. So to me
presenting is the first thing and if done well the requirement to
access what the student learned is not as important because the
student got it the first time.

And you say that you can get away with bigger classes when you don't
expect much of the students. My experience was that the largest
classes I ever had were in college where much more was expected of me.
I think the real determination of how large a class you can have and
expect reasonable results from the students is mostly dependent on
age. What you are saying makes sense for first grade students. I do
not think it is true for most high school students.

And what I am trying to say is that there are ways to increase the
amount of feedback and individual tailoring, without reducing class
size. I think that presenting material in lectures to larger groups
followed by having students essentially take a quiz using a computer
would provide better feedback. And the individual tailoring should
probably be done both by hyperlinks to additional material during the
computer quiz and by the teacher. The teacher would have more time
for individual and small groups if he/she did not have to present the
material four times a day to four " small " classes.

Dan

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message news:i741c.32323

I hope without making a bigger deal of this, my experience is that lectures
are nothing but books-on-tape. If it can be delivered in a big lecture,
there is no excuse for delivering it in a classroom at all. If it requires
some visual aids, it could be done better on videotape. That isn't teaching.
That's presenting.

Which relates to the issue that we haven't discussed here, that a teacher
can get a student to perform closer to his or her ability by closer contact.
Any student will benefit from a teacher who can assess what a student is
learning as he goes, and by adjusting the teaching to suit the student's
learning. You can get away with larger classes when you don't expect much of
students, which, of course, is a big part of our problem.

Finally, I don't think you're making a fair evaluation of the data on
teaching and class size. Among people who are involved with the subject and
who have taken the time to really study the studies, there is no visible
disagreement. If you hold everything constant -- including low expectations
and a uniform method of presentation regardless of the class size --
probably you can show (probably someone *has* shown) that there is no
difference in student performance. But every good teacher knows he or she is
limited in how much they can teach by the amount of feedback, and the amount
of individual tailoring, they can do with each student. In fact, the issue
is a no-brainer to educators. The studies are things they regard as
political window-dressing for a fact that's established deeply in the
history of education, as well as by current events.

Ed Huntress

Ed Huntress

"Dan Caster" wrote in message
m...
The teacher would have more time
for individual and small groups if he/she did not have to present the
material four times a day to four " small " classes.

Firstly, teachers don't get fewer classes to teach just because their class
sizes are smaller. That's part of the problem. In the system in my town, the
smaller classes tend to be the AP and Honors classes (the very smallest are
the pre-school handicapped classes, which my wife teaches), and the teachers
have just as many of them as other teachers have of larger, standard
classes.

Secondly, I think your experience with larger classes, in which they were
the faster-moving ones, is very unusual, although you're talking about
college and we're talking about public primary and secondary schools here.
In fact, the evidence is very strong that smaller classes produce better
results in public schools. The students advance faster and learn better --
if the teachers exploit the smaller classes to tailor the presentation more
closely to the needs of the students.

That's not to say there aren't many other ways to improve teaching. The
point is simply that smaller classes tend to produce better results.

Ed Huntress

Karl Pearson

On 3 Mar 2004 10:08:08 -0800, Dan Caster wrote:

Hmmm. I see teaching as something different from you. I think the
first thing done in any teaching is the presenting, that you don't
consider teaching. The second thing is determining if the student
understands what is presented. This is followed by more presenting
focused on whatever aspect the student did not understand. So to me
presenting is the first thing and if done well the requirement to
access what the student learned is not as important because the
student got it the first time.

I must disagree. I have come to the conclusion that there is no such
thing as 'teaching'. There is only 'learning'.

The teacher's job is to help students learn. This requires the teacher to
deal with students with diverse backgrounds, interests, abilities,
attention spans, home lifes, and expectations.

A brilliant presentation before a pack of beagles will yield a pack of
bored beagles. No presentation, but individual attention paid to even the
most reticent pupil will, at least, give that student support, a good role
model, and encouragement to learn when they are ready.

I came to these conclusions after a particularly horrible experience as an
instructor in an in-house apprentice program.

Karl Pearson
--
Delete 1 from address - munged to avoid spam and worse
Dan Caster

I didn't say anything about teaching fewer classes...... I was trying
to say that one teacher could spend less time presenting material if
he/she were able to present the material to all students at the same
time. Then the teacher could spend more time in small groups getting
and providing feedback.

I also don't remember saying anything about faster-moving classes. I
said that in college there are lots of large classes. And since they
seem to work well in college, I don't see why they would not work in
high school and middle school( if middle school is the right word. I
lived in a place and time where there were no middle schools ).

We might as well drop this. I can see that neither of us is likely to
change our opinions.

Dan

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message .net...
"Dan Caster" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Ed Huntress

"Dan Caster" wrote in message
m...
I didn't say anything about teaching fewer classes...... I was trying
to say that one teacher could spend less time presenting material if
he/she were able to present the material to all students at the same
time. Then the teacher could spend more time in small groups getting
and providing feedback.

It sounds like you're coming around to the value of the "small groups." How
about a videotaped mass presentation, and then small classes?

Certainly you can divide material into things that can be delivered as a
mass lecture and things that are best taught interactively, a few students
at a time. The point is, it's the small groups that make the difference.
That's what the research shows.

I also don't remember saying anything about faster-moving classes.

Faster-moving is one way to say that more material is presented and absorbed
in a given amount of time. The original complaint, or a major one, is that
US high-school graduates are behind students of other countries by the time
they graduate.

I said that in college there are lots of large classes. And since they
seem to work well in college, I don't see why they would not work in
high school and middle school( if middle school is the right word. I
lived in a place and time where there were no middle schools ).

Remember that in college you're dealing with more mature kids and much more
strongly motivated kids, and they're a selection of better-performing
students to begin with. How that would work with younger kids who represent
the whole population is a speculative issue. It sounds to me like an
opportunity for many of them to tune out, if the classes get large enough.

We might as well drop this. I can see that neither of us is likely to
change our opinions.

Ok. I try to avoid opinions, though. We were originally discussing the
facts, based on the research. I think that part of it is quite clear. As for
the speculations, they're interesting to consider, and all ideas need to be
thrown into the pot. Lord knows, we could use some better ideas. But
"opinion" isn't going to provide us with any answers. Only things that might
be worth trying, and then more questions.

Ed Huntress

Stop arguing FOR the ATF

When my brother went to the new high school in the 70s it was large open
spaces for teaching many kids at the same time. When I went 7 years later
the large rooms were divided into classrooms. It's even worse at a lower
level because it's hard to keep kids (8-10 year olds) focused. I know from
experience.

Joel. phx

Then there was the time I took a data communications course in college.
They were videotaping it for later presentations and 2 classes were in side
rooms with monitors (our mikes were cut off too so we couldn't even ask
questions). We had the most fun mocking his mistakes.

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
t...
"Dan Caster" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Dan Caster

I am still arguing that better schools don't necessarily require more
teachers. From my experience in teaching, I don't think that video
taped presentations will work very well. With a live lecturer, you
can not procrastinate on when you are going to spend time learning.
With video taped presentations there would be a lot of pressure from
the students to have the tape available for viewing at their
convenience. And I don't think that would work.

I taught a course at an extension college and told the students that
if they did the homework and did well it would count for their grade.
If they did not do the homework and got a good grade on the exam, they
would get the exam grade.
Probably more than half the class did not spend much time doing the
homework.
The same students (?) did not do well on the exam. They may have also
flunked if I had told them that they had to do the homework. But I
think they would have spent more time trying to learn or quit the
class sooner.

If you gave mass presentations, then had the students review the
presented material on a computer. Having questions to determine if
the student grasped a particular point and then hypertext to present
more info to help the student get the point. Then you could schedule
groups that had the same level of comprehension and use the personal
interface as a reward to motivate the students.

Just going to small groups means the bright kids are bored out of
their skull.
Been there, done that, got the tee shirt.

Dan

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message news:saK1c.6308$

It sounds like you're coming around to the value of the "small groups." How
about a videotaped mass presentation, and then small classes?

Certainly you can divide material into things that can be delivered as a
mass lecture and things that are best taught interactively, a few students
at a time. The point is, it's the small groups that make the difference.
That's what the research shows.

Ed Huntress

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 14:10:37 GMT, "Ed Huntress"
brought forth from the murky depths:

-snip of interesting times-
I don't know what became of the Washington County program. At the time I
thought we were the wave of the future, and that all school systems would
have it eventually. But I've seen only a little of it around the country.

Perhaps our favorite teacher's union had something to say about it.
"Try to automate _us_ out of teaching positions, will they?"

OTOH, I've suffered through way too many lectures where the teacher
merely recited a textbook. So I know what you mean about "talking books".
That's more than dull, especially since I can read far faster than a

person
can talk, while maintaining what is probably greater comprehension than
can be gotten from a bore droning along at 1/10th the information rate.

I became very hostile toward history after my 3rd grade teacher
sat for hours lecturing us on her fascinating trips abroad. (She
was 5'2", 160lbs, and dull as a chalkboard.) Her tests just happened
to contain questions based mainly on her discourse, not actual
history.

-------------------------------
Iguana: The other green meat!
-------------------------------
Cliff Huprich

John Ings wrote in message . ..
The key to an alternative reading of the verse 1 Kings 7:23 is to be
found in the very ancient Hebrew tradition (see, e.g., [Britannica
1985], [Banon 1987, pp. 52, 53]) to differently write (spell) and read
some words of the Bible; the reading version is usually regarded as a
correct one (in particular, it is always correct from the point of
view of the Hebrew grammar, and this is why it could be easily either
remembered or reconstructed from the written version), whereas the
written version slightly deviates from the correct spelling. (Another
approach, involving the comparison between written forms of the same
words in 1 Kings 7:23 and Chronicles 4:2 is cited in [Posamentiern,
Gordan 1984]; see more about this version of the exegesis in 4).

1 Kings 7:23 Then he made the molten sea; it was round, ten cubits
from brim to brim, and five cubits high. A line of thirty cubits would
encircle it completely.

7:26 Its thickness was a handbreadth; its brim was made like the brim
of a cup, like the flower of a lily; it held two thousand baths.

2 Chonicles 4:2Then he made the molten sea; it was round, ten cubits
from rim to rim, and five cubits high. A line of thirty cubits would
encircle it completely.

4:5 Its thickness was a handbreadth; its rim was made like the rim of
a cup, like the flower of a lily; it held three thousand baths.

The letters of the Hebrew alphabets were traditionly used (well before
the building of the First Temple [Guitel 1975]) for numerical purposes
and, thus, have had numerical values . Using these values, one can
calculate values of words (as sums of values of letters, but also in
several other, less obvious and/or more involved ways); these methods
became later known as gematria [Michael Munk 1983, p. 163],
[Britannica 1985]. Here are the standard numerical equivalents of the
letters of the Hebrew alphabet: cm = cmti8 scaled 0

Aleph=1, Beth=2, Gimel=3, Daled=4, Hea=5, Vav=6, Zain=7, CHet=8,
Tet=9, Yod=10, Caf=20, Lammed=30, Mem=40, Noon=50, Samech=60,
Aiin=70, Pea=80, TSadik=90, Qof=100, Reish=200, Shin=300, Tav=400.

In particular, the numerical equivalent of the written version
,``QVH'', is Qof+Vav+Hea=100+6+5=111, whereas the numerical equivalent
of the reading version, ``QV'', is Qof+Vav=106.

Using these numerical equivalents, one defines as follows:

[...] (1)

Thus the Hebrew pi = 3.1415094

(1)See http://www.math.ubc.ca/people/facult...l/bpi/bpi.html
for math calculations whose formulas I can't reproduce in a newsgroup
post.

John,
Would this not imply that:
A) They already used the decimal system
B) Had invented zero
C) Could easily do long division

Or
A) Someone is playing fast and loose with numerology (as well as
languages)and trying to fudge things just a little?

Just how old is that supposed to be, anyway?
--
Cliff
John Ings

On 6 Mar 2004 03:09:10 -0800, (Cliff Huprich) wrote:

(1)See
http://www.math.ubc.ca/people/facult...l/bpi/bpi.html
for math calculations whose formulas I can't reproduce in a newsgroup
post.

John,
Would this not imply that:
A) They already used the decimal system
B) Had invented zero

No. Like most cultures before the invention of zero and the decimal
system, they used a complex series of continued fractions. See item 3.
on the reference page.

C) Could easily do long division

No, with difficulty did long devision. The Romans for instance did
long division in Roman numerals, and if you think that ain't a trick
just try it!

A) Someone is playing fast and loose with numerology (as well as
languages)and trying to fudge things just a little?

Just how old is that supposed to be, anyway?

Note the site I got it from --UBC-- is a university, not a religious
propaganda site with an axe to grind. The paper itself was submitted
to a major university in France. Note the references at the bottom of
the page. I suspect :

W. M. Feldman 1965: Rabbinical Mathematics and Astronomy,
Hermon Press, New-York.
and
R. J. Gillings 1972: Mathematics in the Time of the Pharaohs,
The MIT Press, Cambridge.
would be informative if you're near a university library.

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 15:13:59 GMT, Karl Pearson
brought forth from the murky depths:

On 3 Mar 2004 10:08:08 -0800, Dan Caster wrote:

Hmmm. I see teaching as something different from you. I think the
first thing done in any teaching is the presenting, that you don't
consider teaching. The second thing is determining if the student
understands what is presented. This is followed by more presenting
focused on whatever aspect the student did not understand. So to me
presenting is the first thing and if done well the requirement to
access what the student learned is not as important because the
student got it the first time.

I must disagree. I have come to the conclusion that there is no such
thing as 'teaching'. There is only 'learning'.

Then perhaps we should "learn" the teachers how to better "learn"
the kids/adults. Some don't know how. They simply present. Some
have little compassion. It takes compassion and enthusiasm to be
a good, er, "learner". Having detailed knowledge of the subject
doesn't hurt, either, but I'm afraid that is a secondary concern
to schools nowadays.

The teacher's job is to help students learn. This requires the teacher to
deal with students with diverse backgrounds, interests, abilities,
attention spans, home lifes, and expectations.

Precisely. The teachers need to learn this in order to better teach
each student. They also need to learn how to motivate unmotivated
students into wanting to learn. The proper attitudes need to be
there on -both- sides of the lesson. In many ways, the teacher has
a harder job than the student. Luckily, they have fewer rampant
hormones to deal with internally than their teen students.

-------------------------------
Iguana: The other green meat!
-------------------------------

Dan Caster

The way I see it is that even if you are teaching just one student,
the first thing you do is present a new idea to the student. It does
not need to be a lecture. But for the student to learn something that
he/she does not know, first the student needs to shown what there is
to be learned. You could acomplish this by saying here is a book that
you are to learn the ideas in the book. And let the book present the
ideas.

Next you need to see how well the student learned the new information.
You may need to figure out some way that the student will use the new
information so as to get it into the long term memory. And you need
to figure out various ways to motivate the student.

Teaching is an art that can be reduced to a science.

Dan

Karl Pearson wrote in message

I must disagree. I have come to the conclusion that there is no such
thing as 'teaching'. There is only 'learning'.

The teacher's job is to help students learn. This requires the teacher to
deal with students with diverse backgrounds, interests, abilities,
attention spans, home lifes, and expectations.

A brilliant presentation before a pack of beagles will yield a pack of
bored beagles. No presentation, but individual attention paid to even the
most reticent pupil will, at least, give that student support, a good role
model, and encouragement to learn when they are ready.

I came to these conclusions after a particularly horrible experience as an
instructor in an in-house apprentice program.

Karl Pearson

Santa Cruz Mike

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 05:43:34 -0800, John Ings
wrote:

[...]

Is this your answer Cliff.. can you make that bowl or not..?

MIke

Cliff's bowl has a 10 unit/inch outside diameter and a 30 unit/inch
outer circumference and a 5 unit/inch depth. The diameters have a
..005 inch tolerance. And no Virginia PI does not equal 3.00000. So how
does Cliff make this bowl?
Cliff Huprich

John Ings wrote in message . ..
[...]

Johm
Not the date of the papers from the later apologists (I presume)
and numerologists but the date of the decimal system and zero, as
contrasted to the presumed date of the original writings.

Also, as it was not crossposted, you may not have seen this
post:
[
From: cal (Ken)
Date: 06 Mar 2004 18:38:21 GMT

Cliff asks:

John,
Would this not imply that:
A) They already used the decimal system
B) Had invented zero
C) Could easily do long division

Or
A) Someone is playing fast and loose with numerology (as well as
languages)and trying to fudge things just a little?

Just how old is that supposed to be, anyway?

But you're missing the real important points Cliff.

1) IF the hebrew god created this and can't get PI accurate beyond 5
decimals,
then why do so many worship him as omnipotent.

2) IF all this stuff was invented by men who were so clever that the
word meant
the number accurate to 5 decimal places, then why do so many worship
their
invented god as an omnipotent being?

Just a thought from a born only once (that I can remember) agnostic.

Ken
Cybercut Precision Machining-
"Quality is created, not controlled."
]

I suppose I should ask why their "diety" did not know of
the Pythagorean Theorem, Quantum Theory, the real numbers, or,
really, much about the universe at all.
--
Cliff

[
Now consider the tortoise and the eagle.

The tortoise is a ground-living creature. It is impossible to live
nearer the ground without being under it. Its horizons are a few
inches away. It has about as good a turn of speed as you need to hunt
down a lettuce. It has survived while the rest of evolution flowed
past it by being, on the whole, no threat to anyone and too much
trouble to eat.

And then there is the eagle. A creature of the air and high places,
whose horizons go all the way to the edge of the world. Eyesight keen
enough to spot the rustle of some small and squeaky creature half a
mile away. All power, all control. Lightning death on wings. Talons
and claws enough to make a meal of anything smaller than it is and at
least take a hurried snack out of anything bigger.

And yet the eagle will sit for hours on the crag and survey the
kingdoms of the world until it spots a distant movement and then it
will focus, focus, focus on the small shell wobbling among the bushes
down there on the desert. And it will leap...

And a minute later the tortoise finds the world dropping away from it.
And it sees the world for the first time, no longer one inch from the
ground but five hundred feet above it, and it thinks: what a great
friend I have in the eagle.

And then the eagle lets go.

And almost always the tortoise plunges to its death. Everyone knows
why the tortoise does this. Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake
off. No one knows why the eagle does this. There's good eating on a
tortoise but, considering the effort involved, there's much better
eating on practically anything else. It's simply the delight of eagles
to torment tortoises.

But of course, what the eagle does not realize is that it is
participating in a very crude form of natural selection.

One day a tortoise will learn how to fly.
]

From Terry Pratchett's "Small Gods"
John Ings

On 7 Mar 2004 02:06:47 -0800, (Cliff Huprich) wrote:

Johm
Not the date of the papers from the later apologists (I presume)

No, not apologists. This is not a theological paper.
The subject is math.

and numerologists but the date of the decimal system and zero, as
contrasted to the presumed date of the original writings.

As that paper points out, the decimal system is not necessary for the
calculation. The ancients had 1/2 figured out long before it became
0.5 and for some things fractions are more accurate anyway. 1/3 is
better than 0.33333

Also, as it was not crossposted, you may not have seen this
post:

In which newsgroup?

But you're missing the real important points Cliff.

1) IF the hebrew god created this and can't get PI accurate beyond 5
decimals, then why do so many worship him as omnipotent.

But it would appear that the value of Pi was stated to that accuracy
according to that paper.

2) IF all this stuff was invented by men who were so clever that the
word meant the number accurate to 5 decimal places, then why do
so many worship their invented god as an omnipotent being?

At that time, math was in the province of astronomers (astrologers)
and regarded as a magical, arcane wisdom closely associated with gods
and superstitious nonsense like gematrics.

Just a thought from a born only once (that I can remember) agnostic.

Well I'm an unbeliever too, but I have never taken up that Pi = 3
passage as a cugel to beat the devout with. I think it's a weak
argument.

I suppose I should ask why their "diety" did not know of
the Pythagorean Theorem, Quantum Theory, the real numbers, or,
really, much about the universe at all.

Maybe you should be asking why his followers thought the earth is
round and flat like a plate. Makes for a more cogent argument than
this Pi business.

Bob Edwards

Maybe I missed it somewhere in this meandering thread, but has anyone
considered the "bowl" might be slightly tapered inwards at the top? I
didn't see any statements to the contrary. And nothing said the OD
and circumference were measured at the same point on the surface of
the bowl.

It would be trivial to make a tapered bowl shape with a 10 inch max OD
and 30 inch circumference "at the top"! Maybe a hint was given early
on when he said it resembled a dog dish? Many dog dishes have this
shape, as it makes the dish more stable. If this is the answer, then
the ratio of 3-1 was a red herring all along to drag in the "pi=3"
crowd. :-)

If it's not tapered in at the top, then it is impossible. A circle is
the smallest perimeter enclosing any given space. (in Euclidian space,
anyway). Any variation in rim shape can only make it longer, not
shorter. And anyway, he already said it was "round". And one thing
we can be sure of, I think, is that pi is 3!

Bob
Santa Cruz Mike

On 7 Mar 2004 09:49:29 -0800, (Bob
Edwards) wrote:

[...]

Bob... but that would be thinking outside of Cliff's small intolerant
world...

There was no red herring.. it was Cliff who came up with the PI =
3.0000 .... yes a tapered bowl would certainly meet our specs..

And PI would not have to be changed to suit Cliff's fancy!

Later,
Mike

Cliff's bowl has a 10 unit/inch outside diameter and a 30 unit/inch
outer circumference and a 5 unit/inch depth. The diameters have a
..005 inch tolerance. And no Virginia PI does not equal 3.00000. So how
does Cliff make this bowl?

Santa Cruz Mike

Default Cliff caught trolling and telling a lie!

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 03:22:05 GMT, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Santa Cruz Mike" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 18:06:52 -0500, Nick Hull
wrote:

In article ,
Santa Cruz Mike wrote:

Cliff.. have you figured out how a bowl can have a 10 inch diameter
and a 30 inch circumference yet?

Is it impossible?

1 Kings chapter 7 verse 23 (Authorised Version): "... and he made a molten
sea, ten cubits from one brim to the other : it was round about ... and a
line of thirty cubits did compass it round about."

That's where the nonsense came from.

Ed Huntress

Ed.. the nonsense came about when Cliff.. reached deep into his
infinite knowledge and proclaimed that the bible claimed that PI
equals 3.000000... Can you find anywhere it does? Can Cliff? No..
Cliff can't.. he made it up.. he lied.. and just can't visualize what
that bowl looks like..

The truth of the matter is this: Cliff's only point was to troll and
use these related passages of Jewish history as an attempt to attack
God and the bible.. but Cliff screwed up.. and showed his stupidity
when the fact is it is quite easy to make a tub, a bowl, a bath with
those dimensions...

Cliff is a card carrying member of F.A.G.... and that what happens to
Folks Against God when the lie, cheat and manipulate their way
around.. they get caught..

Later,
Mike

Cliff's bowl has a 10 unit/inch outside diameter and a 30 unit/inch
outer circumference and a 5 unit/inch depth. The diameters have a
..005 inch tolerance. And no Virginia PI does not equal 3.00000. So how
does Cliff make this bowl?

Gary

Bob Edwards wrote:

If it's not tapered in at the top, then it is impossible.

Uh oh! Somebody said it...

Fundie Fool Mike was begging Cliff to say it.

Gary & Harvey (the one & only "TRUE" GOD)

John Ings

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 19:31:12 GMT, Santa Cruz Mike
wrote:

Cliff is a card carrying member of F.A.G.... and that what happens to
Folks Against God when the lie, cheat and manipulate their way
around.. they get caught..

Hey Mike!
I don't think the folks in rec.crafts.metalworking want to hear all
about this anymore than they want to hear about Gunner's gun-control
polemics. Now if you want a dust-up, come on over to alt.bible and
we'll have at it!

Santa Cruz Mike

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 14:44:46 -0700, Gary wrote:

Uh oh! Somebody said it...

Fundie Fool Mike was begging Cliff to say it.

Gary & Harvey (the one & only "TRUE" GOD)

Is Cliff apologizing ....

Are you next Garvey?

Mike

Garvey... are you still blaming the Roman Church because homosexual
predators lied, cheated, and sneaked their way through seminary to
seduce teenage boys?

That is a good one.... Lets Call this the Wisdom of Garvey