Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design
Jim Thompson

Default Global Warming hits the Eastcoast !

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 16:22:57 -0500, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 20:51:57 GMT, the renowned Rich Grise
wrote:

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 13:00:33 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote:

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 12:58:05 -0500, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:33:05 GMT, the renowned Richard the Dreaded
Libertarian wrote:

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 22:12:33 -0600, Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 22:12:33 -0600, Martin H. Eastburn top-posted:

The SUN is getting warmer. We feel that. Mt. St. Helens dumps 100's of tons
of S02 into the air each year - far exceeding cars and power plants of the region.

The little one in the Philippines cooled the earth by 1 degree by dumping more
crap into the air than all trucks, cars, motorcycles and ... of all time. Far worse
than many thought at the time - but remember it was a colder year and the stars were
colored.....

The oilfields that burned in IRAQ and the triangle area of Kuwait put black soot
around the world.

The UK was a very dusty place to live in for many years. Now cleaner, how about more.

I had a very interesting experience the last time I emigrated from
Minnesota to California - when I was coming down from the high desert, I
crested the rise, and all I saw was blue sky! I was flabbergasted! Just
about 15 or 20 years ago, the whole sky over the LA basin was brown.

People bitch about harsh smog regs, but somebody's doing something right! :-)

Cheers!
Rich

The air in major (and not so major) Chinese cities is barely
breathable these days.

Clean up the CA automotive emissions and export half of the industry
and things are bound to start looking up, environmentally speaking.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

I presume you meant by CA = Canada ??

Because CA = California has the most stringent smog laws in the world.

...Jim Thompson

My point is that they *have* tightened auto emission standards in
Californie, so things are now noticably better than when I lived
there, air-wise. Do any other jurisdictions have the vapor suckers on
gas pumps?

Some AZ stations do, though it's not mandatory yet.

And, possibly interestingly, they don't seem to have a terribly adverse
effect on car sales. :-)

Like there's an alternative, eh?

Sales are so high in CA that they only sell at list... sometimes
above.

And it _is_ nice to see blue sky when you go outside. :-)

Then again, it's the rainy season in So.Cal, so the air gets pretty much
washed about this time of year. :-)

Cheers!
Rich

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

We MAY get rain tonight... first time in almost 5 months... so I can
celebrate my un-birthday on the patio at midnight ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design
Don Klipstein

In , Spehro Pefhany wrote:

Do any other jurisdictions have the vapor suckers on gas pumps?

I know the greater Philadelphia metro area, at least on the Pennsylvania
side of the Delaware River, has them. I don't know whether or not this is
statewide. I have heard of antipollution laws covering only parts of
Pennsylvania before.

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design
Spehro Pefhany

On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 12:06:44 -0500, the renowned Keith Williams
wrote:

In article ,
says...

My point is that they *have* tightened auto emission standards in
Californie, so things are now noticably better than when I lived
there, air-wise. Do any other jurisdictions have the vapor suckers on
gas pumps?

NY has had them quite a while. VT has had them for perhaps five
years and the sky is still gray all winter.

In LA it was literally brown.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design
Jim Thompson

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 12:30:23 -0500, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:

On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 12:06:44 -0500, the renowned Keith Williams
wrote:

In article ,
says...

My point is that they *have* tightened auto emission standards in
Californie, so things are now noticably better than when I lived
there, air-wise. Do any other jurisdictions have the vapor suckers on
gas pumps?

NY has had them quite a while. VT has had them for perhaps five
years and the sky is still gray all winter.

In LA it was literally brown.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

I don't think "gray all winter" has anything to do with smog ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design
Todd Rich

In rec.crafts.metalworking Todd Rich wrote:
In rec.crafts.metalworking Pooh Bear wrote:

Todd Rich wrote:

Also, it has been about 2 days and Grame/Poo Bear hasn't responded.

Been busy with real life.

It happens. I go through that a lot myself. Sorry about the misspelling.

It is almost 2 weeks now. Should I even bother keeping up with this
thread? Real life doesn't seem to stop you from keeping up with other
threads. 97 in the last 12 days.
http://makeashorterlink.com/?F61C419BC

(snip rest)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design
Dave Hinz

wrote:

NY has had them quite a while. VT has had them for perhaps five
years and the sky is still gray all winter.

In LA it was literally brown.

Yes, and you could taste the pollution in the air, while in an airplane,
as you approached LAX. That was, let's see...1982. Brown, absolutely.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design
Richard Henry

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message
On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 12:06:44 -0500, the renowned Keith Williams
wrote:

In article ,
says...

My point is that they *have* tightened auto emission standards in
Californie, so things are now noticably better than when I lived
there, air-wise. Do any other jurisdictions have the vapor suckers on
gas pumps?

NY has had them quite a while. VT has had them for perhaps five
years and the sky is still gray all winter.

In LA it was literally brown.

And I could taste it - or maybe it was the chlorine from all the swimming
pools.

I was in Southern California almost 2 years before I drove into San Fernando
Valley from Oxnard one day and realized that there were snow-capped
mountains just outside the city.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design
Keith

wrote:

On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 12:06:44 -0500, the renowned Keith Williams
wrote:

In article ,
says...

My point is that they *have* tightened auto emission standards in
Californie, so things are now noticably better than when I lived
there, air-wise. Do any other jurisdictions have the vapor suckers on
gas pumps?

NY has had them quite a while. VT has had them for perhaps five
years and the sky is still gray all winter.

In LA it was literally brown.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

I don't think "gray all winter" has anything to do with smog ;-)

WoooSH! What can I say? ;-)

--
Keith
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design
Rich Grise, PLainclothes Hippie

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 11:02:31 -0800, Richard Henry wrote:
"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message
On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 12:06:44 -0500, the renowned Keith Williams
says...

My point is that they *have* tightened auto emission standards in
Californie, so things are now noticably better than when I lived
there, air-wise. Do any other jurisdictions have the vapor suckers on
gas pumps?

NY has had them quite a while. VT has had them for perhaps five years
and the sky is still gray all winter.

In LA it was literally brown.

And I could taste it - or maybe it was the chlorine from all the swimming
pools.

I was in Southern California almost 2 years before I drove into San
Fernando Valley from Oxnard one day and realized that there were
snow-capped mountains just outside the city.

Yup, that's California! Go surfing in the morning, and skiing in the
afternoon! ;-P

Cheers!
Rich

--
Elect Me President in 2008! I will:
A. Fire the IRS, and abolish the income tax

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design
J. Clarke

Rich Grise wrote:

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 09:49:28 -0700, Mark Fergerson wrote:
We simply cannot wield energies on natural scales.

This prompted a little thought experiment - what would have happened if,
while Katrina was marshaling her forces right plop on top of the Gulf,
what if we'd dropped a little nuke right down her eye, with an air burst
at about 8,000'? It'd blow the whole thing away, right?

Then I thought, Ach, crap, no. What about the updraft from the 'shroom
cloud? It'd start a new one, only even worse! AAAAIIIIIEEEEEEEE!!!! =:-O

When nuclear weapons were first developed, this was considered. It was
found that the largest bomb that humans knew how to make produced a
negligible amount of energy compared to that of a small hurricane.

Thanks! ;-)
Rich

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design
Martin H. Eastburn

It's spring - ever have a spring storm ?
This is just a baby storm anyway. Spawned the bad storms down south and rain
up north. Kills people down south and washes backyards up north...

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Keith wrote:
On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 12:48:44 -0800, carneyke wrote:

Looks like Global Warming has really taken it's toll on the East Coast
today. I hope the liberals at large have lots of fun shoveling this
Gloabl Warming trend. Broke records in NYCity's Central Park and closed
all the major airports. Heard Boston got more of this Global Warming !
I'll take the 10 degree above normal Januarary we had. Oh sorry
forgot, Global Warming caused this blizzard shutting down the liberal
bastion of the US. Keep Shoveling Libs, keep shoveling....

Nah, you've been reading the leftist NY (Pinko) Times and the Bean-Town
(what was that smell) GLOBE again. No snow at all here. ...not one flake.