DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   any advice for fastening lanyard to copper stock? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/144337-any-advice-fastening-lanyard-copper-stock.html)

[email protected] February 11th 06 04:39 PM

any advice for fastening lanyard to copper stock?

Hi all.

I want to make some simple key fobs/chains out of small (e.g.
3/8"-1/2") copper bar stock, but am not sure of the best way to fasten
the lanyard to the copper... Threading a hole into it seems like a
pretty straightforward (and cheap) way to do it, but i don't know how
long it would hold up (possibly add some adhesive to the threads?).

Welding/soldering seems kind of risky to the finish.

Simple glue doesn't seem strong enough to hold up.

This is just a little craft job, i don't really have any good
metalworking gear. Any suggestions? I'm assuming the lanyard material
will matter as well, any ideas there?

Thanks!!!

Bob

steamer February 11th 06 04:52 PM

any advice for fastening lanyard to copper stock?

--Why not use traditional beaded chain and drop it thru a hole? Big
chamfer on each side to keep chafing at bay and you're done.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Whatever happened
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : to Pasquale Gumbo?

Rich Grise February 11th 06 06:38 PM

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 08:39:19 -0800, bobrich wrote:

Hi all.

I want to make some simple key fobs/chains out of small (e.g. 3/8"-1/2")
copper bar stock, but am not sure of the best way to fasten the lanyard to
the copper... Threading a hole into it seems like a pretty
straightforward (and cheap) way to do it, but i don't know how long it
would hold up (possibly add some adhesive to the threads?).

Welding/soldering seems kind of risky to the finish.

Simple glue doesn't seem strong enough to hold up.

This is just a little craft job, i don't really have any good metalworking
gear. Any suggestions? I'm assuming the lanyard material will matter as
well, any ideas there?

Thanks!!!

Bob

Drill a hole near the end, and attach the chain with a split ring like you
see on keychains all over the world.

Good Luck!
Rich

Grant Erwin February 11th 06 10:11 PM

any advice for fastening lanyard to copper stock?

The standard way to attach a small flat metal object to a key ring is to drill a
hole in the metal object and then put it on your key ring where it will lie flat
with your keys ..

GWE