Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill

Default SB Fourteen (new model) question

I have the motor and transmission out of my South Bend Fourteen
(variable speed) Lathe. I was doing some test runs on it after
changeing the oil, and noticed that the transmission is pretty noisy.
Is this normal for these lathes?
I remember a counter top sales thingy at auto stores. It was a plastic
gear setup and you could see how quite the gears got when using this
special oil or oil modifier.( I cant remember which.) What is
everyones take on using some kind of oil modifier in the transmission?
and if yes what brand.

Thank you for your time.

Bill
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveF

"Bill" wbbright@amaonlinecom wrote in message
I have the motor and transmission out of my South Bend Fourteen
(variable speed) Lathe. I was doing some test runs on it after
changeing the oil, and noticed that the transmission is pretty noisy.
Is this normal for these lathes?
I remember a counter top sales thingy at auto stores. It was a plastic
gear setup and you could see how quite the gears got when using this
special oil or oil modifier.( I cant remember which.) What is
everyones take on using some kind of oil modifier in the transmission?
and if yes what brand.

Thank you for your time.

Bill

Lucas Oil Stabilizer. Don't have any experience with it but have played
with the "thingy" also and it looked pretty interesting.

Steve.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Bill wrote:
I have the motor and transmission out of my South Bend Fourteen
(variable speed) Lathe. I was doing some test runs on it after
changeing the oil, and noticed that the transmission is pretty noisy.
Is this normal for these lathes?
I remember a counter top sales thingy at auto stores. It was a plastic
gear setup and you could see how quite the gears got when using this
special oil or oil modifier.( I cant remember which.) What is
everyones take on using some kind of oil modifier in the transmission?
and if yes what brand.

Last year I had an older Honda CRX. The synchros were a bit crunchy.
Normally I'd just fix it with Redline MTL gearbox lube, in place of the
30W motor oil that is OE fill. The Lucas rep insisted I try their oil
additive with their motor oil instead. I did, and the transmission
shifted perfectly.
Since then, I've used the Lucas stuff as an open gear lubricant on my
Logan. It really quiets down the geartrain.
I see no reason not to try it on a lathe oil-bath gearbox.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill

It worked very well. A definite reduction of sound.