Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart

Default OT-Software to create webpage of thumbnail images

I'm looking for some simple and hopefully free
software that can take a group of image files,
create thumbnails of them and create an http
page that will show the thumbnails and load the
big image when the thumbnail is clicked.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 11:28:02 -0800, Jim Stewart wrote:
I'm looking for some simple and hopefully free
software that can take a group of image files,
create thumbnails of them and create an http
page that will show the thumbnails and load the
big image when the thumbnail is clicked.

If you've got a Unix, Linux, or Mac system, I've got what you need.
Examples he
http://www.duck-creek.net/photos/dav...2005_Boscobel/

If you (or anyone else) would like a copy of the script, let me know.
The only dependancy it has is that you install a (free) package called
"imagemagick".

Dave Hinz

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 19:39:54 GMT, Ignoramus11278 wrote:

I wrote such a script for Linux, see its results on
http://igor.chudov.com/projects/

Dang, Iggy, that output looks an awful lot like the same way I solved
the same problem.

I can share this script. It needs ImageMagick software package to make
thumbnails.

Yup.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hi Jim,
Here's my favorite, on the Mac OS: PhotoSite TimeSaviour - free and
fast and you can configure it for different sizes of thumbnails and set
custom background and font colors. See it he
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/6446

And if you need a website with ecommerce designed, here I am at:
http://www.lantana-media.com/

We do sites for artists with small businesses.

- SzeBaiMei

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On 7 Feb 2006 14:37:49 -0800, wrote:

And if you need a website with ecommerce designed, here I am at:
http://www.lantana-media.com/
We do sites for artists with small businesses.

I think he was looking for a solution, not spam. Sheesh.

(save the indignant response. If it wasn't intended to be spam, you
would have sent it to him and him alone by email).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lew Hartswick

Jim Stewart wrote:

I'm looking for some simple and hopefully free
software that can take a group of image files,
create thumbnails of them and create an http
page that will show the thumbnails and load the
big image when the thumbnail is clicked.

A friend just told me about Web album generator
I downloaded it and tried it out It's pretty limited
but on the other hand it is simple to use.
Sounds like it would work for you.
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 11:28:02 -0800, the renowned Jim Stewart
wrote:

I'm looking for some simple and hopefully free
software that can take a group of image files,
create thumbnails of them and create an http
page that will show the thumbnails and load the
big image when the thumbnail is clicked.

Not quite free, but for the PC, give ACDSEE a try. It's about $50,
downloadable trial version. It's bloated quite a bit over the years,
but still only a 12M download.

http://www.acdsystems.com

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ian Malcolm

Jim Stewart wrote:
I'm looking for some simple and hopefully free
software that can take a group of image files,
create thumbnails of them and create an http
page that will show the thumbnails and load the
big image when the thumbnail is clicked.

IrfanView does it just fine.

http://www.irfanview.com/

It even can generate a HTML file for each image so you get forward and
back buttons or it can just make one simple HTML index page.
To find this facility choose 'Thumbnails' from the main program's 'File'
menu then in the Thumbnail window, select the files you want and choose
'Save selected thumbs as HTML file...' from the 'File' menu. LOTS of
customisation options.

It can also handle most common image manipulation and viewing tasks and
supports batch processing. Make sure you get the program and the
plugins to add comprehensive file format support. Free for personal,
educational and charitable use. otherwise currently 12$ US. Runs on all
Windows 9X upwards. Reccomended.

At last I've been able to retire my horrible Pascal scripting running on
HYperimage from Hyperact under Windows for Workgroups 3.11 dating back
to 1995 :-)

ianm[at]the[dash]malcolms[dot]freeserve[dot]co[dot]uk [at]=@, [dash]=- &
[dot]=.
*Warning* SPAM TRAP set in header, Use email address in sig. if you must.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
JR North

You don't need software to do this.....
1. copy each image
2.resize each image copy to, say 100X100 pixel thumbs
3. arrange the thumbs on 1st web page to liking
4. creat 1 web page for each full size image and place each full size
image on it's page.
5. Link each thumb to each image page
JR
Dweller in the cellar
geezus, you don't need Software to do every little thing in one's life.

Jim Stewart wrote:

I'm looking for some simple and hopefully free
software that can take a group of image files,
create thumbnails of them and create an http
page that will show the thumbnails and load the
big image when the thumbnail is clicked.

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Jim Stewart :
I'm looking for some simple and hopefully free
software that can take a group of image files,
create thumbnails of them and create an http
page that will show the thumbnails and load the
big image when the thumbnail is clicked.

I can provide you one, assuming certain conditions are met:

1) It needs to be a unix system, as this is in the form of a
shell script.

2) You need to have the same additional (free) tools installed
for extracting information from the images, and for resizing
them on the fly.

It actually provides three sizes -- the thumbnail, a reasonably
sized image, and, instructions in the beginning of the web page to allow
you to get the original full-sized (too large for a normal web page)
image.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 02:13:45 +0000, the renowned Ian Malcolm
wrote:

Jim Stewart wrote:
I'm looking for some simple and hopefully free
software that can take a group of image files,
create thumbnails of them and create an http
page that will show the thumbnails and load the
big image when the thumbnail is clicked.

IrfanView does it just fine.

http://www.irfanview.com/

snip Forgot about irfanview. It's a good option for Win machines.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ian Malcolm

JR North wrote:

You don't need software to do this.....
1. copy each image
2.resize each image copy to, say 100X100 pixel thumbs
3. arrange the thumbs on 1st web page to liking
4. creat 1 web page for each full size image and place each full size
image on it's page.
5. Link each thumb to each image page
JR
Dweller in the cellar
geezus, you don't need Software to do every little thing in one's life.

After doing this twice for about 100 images I wrote a program to drive
my then image editor and make the pages automatically. Nothing fancy,
just a script in its pascal dialect. I must be thick because I did it
twice by hand ;-)

IMHO the OP should try it a couple of times with a few images to get a
feel for what looks good and what HTML is wanted around the IMG tags
then hand the job off to IrfanView. Computers are ment to make life
easier. If you have a fair number of similar parts to mill in batches
changing one dimension would you crank the handles on your CNC equipped
Bridgeport all week or sit down for an hour and write some G code so
you'll be finished same day?

ianm[at]the[dash]malcolms[dot]freeserve[dot]co[dot]uk [at]=@, [dash]=- &
[dot]=.
*Warning* SPAM TRAP set in header, Use email address in sig. if you must.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John G

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
I'm looking for some simple and hopefully free
software that can take a group of image files,
create thumbnails of them and create an http
page that will show the thumbnails and load the
big image when the thumbnail is clicked.

You did not specify your operating system but if it is Windoze.

Somebody has alread suggested IRFANVIEW.
http://www.irfanview.com/

And there is also PORTA
http://www.stegmann.dk/mikkel/porta/
--
John G

Wot's Your Real Problem?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 18:28:00 -0800, JR North wrote:
You don't need software to do this.....
1. copy each image
2.resize each image copy to, say 100X100 pixel thumbs
3. arrange the thumbs on 1st web page to liking
4. creat 1 web page for each full size image and place each full size
image on it's page.
5. Link each thumb to each image page
JR
Dweller in the cellar
geezus, you don't need Software to do every little thing in one's life.

Yeah, that's a _lot_ easier than going into the directory with the
images, and typing:
/tools/gen.webpage
....which does all that, without any manual intervention, in seconds.