Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
Grant Erwin

Default protecting exposed threads on torches?

Most torches I've owned have 9/16-18 threads for connection to the welding hose
(RH for oxygen, LH for fuel). I recently bought a used torch which had little
red plastic caps over the exposed 9/16" threads. I thought that was a great
idea, protecting the threads. Anyone know where I can buy these little plastic
caps designed to fit over torch threads?

GWE
Seattle area
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
D-Rog

Grant Erwin sezz:

http://www.thomasnet.com/products/ca...0603207-1.html
--
Later,
D-Rog

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
Don Bruder

In article ,
Grant Erwin wrote:

Most torches I've owned have 9/16-18 threads for connection to the welding
hose
(RH for oxygen, LH for fuel). I recently bought a used torch which had little
red plastic caps over the exposed 9/16" threads. I thought that was a great
idea, protecting the threads. Anyone know where I can buy these little
plastic
caps designed to fit over torch threads?

GWE
Seattle area

Around here, while the caps DO protect the threads, the more important
protection they provide is keeping out mud-wasps while the unit isn't
threaded onto the hoses. Leave something with a roughly 1/8 to 1/2 inch
hole in it undisturbed for more than a couple of days, and unless it's
parked in an airtight compartment, you'll come back to find it packed
full of what amounts to concrete - Pitch it and get a new one - unless
you want to deal with ridiculous amounts of time trying (and almost
certainly failing) to get all the mud out of it.

As far as sources for the caps... shrug Take a wild guess, and/or ask
your torch supplier/maker. You *MIGHT* be able to use something like
that "tool-handle goop" - the red or blue plasticy/rubbery stuff that
you can dip tool handles into to put a coating on them - and a
sacrificial ('cause I've got no idea how well it'll come loose) piece to
"make your own".

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd for more info

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
Most torches I've owned have 9/16-18 threads for connection to the welding
hose (RH for oxygen, LH for fuel). I recently bought a used torch which
had little red plastic caps over the exposed 9/16" threads. I thought that
was a great idea, protecting the threads. Anyone know where I can buy
these little plastic caps designed to fit over torch threads?

GWE
Seattle area

They're called "CapPlugs" in one brand name. They're commonly available in
small quanitites from most plastics distributors who supply bulk plastic
bags, shrink wrap, etc.

They're available in nominal o.d. and nominal i.d. shapes to fit almost any
male or female fitting you can imagine -- all the way from 1/8" i.d. to 10"
..

LLoyd

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
John Martin

Grant Erwin wrote:
Most torches I've owned have 9/16-18 threads for connection to the welding hose
(RH for oxygen, LH for fuel). I recently bought a used torch which had little
red plastic caps over the exposed 9/16" threads. I thought that was a great
idea, protecting the threads. Anyone know where I can buy these little plastic
caps designed to fit over torch threads?

GWE
Seattle area

At the risk of being too obvious, I'd check my local welding supplier
first.

When I get a 10 cu ft acetylene tank filled, it comes with a "CAPLUG
EC-10" on it. I measured it, and it's 5/8". So maybe the "EC-10"
stands for something like "external cap - 10/16". You might want an
EC-9.....but that's just a guess.

Anyway, I'd say it's a fair bet that the welding gas supplier may have
other sizes.

John Martin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
JR North

Auto repair shops usually have loads of them; they come on replacement
parts and are kept for various uses around the shop. Buddy up to someone
at one and see.
JR
Dweller in the cellar
Grant Erwin wrote:

Most torches I've owned have 9/16-18 threads for connection to the
welding hose (RH for oxygen, LH for fuel). I recently bought a used
torch which had little red plastic caps over the exposed 9/16" threads.
I thought that was a great idea, protecting the threads. Anyone know
where I can buy these little plastic caps designed to fit over torch
threads?

GWE
Seattle area

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
James

Those plastic caps are commonly used on threaded plumbing fixtures.
You can probably find them at a plumbing supply store or at a better
hardware store. The caps are to protect the brass threads and are
usually put on by torch rebuilders.

James

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 08:43:00 -0800, Grant Erwin
wrote:

Most torches I've owned have 9/16-18 threads for connection to the welding hose
(RH for oxygen, LH for fuel). I recently bought a used torch which had little
red plastic caps over the exposed 9/16" threads. I thought that was a great
idea, protecting the threads. Anyone know where I can buy these little plastic
caps designed to fit over torch threads?

GWE
Seattle area

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
Never_Enough_Tools

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote in message

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
Most torches I've owned have 9/16-18 threads for connection to the
welding hose (RH for oxygen, LH for fuel). I recently bought a used torch
which had little red plastic caps over the exposed 9/16" threads. I
thought that was a great idea, protecting the threads. Anyone know where
I can buy these little plastic caps designed to fit over torch threads?

GWE
Seattle area

They're called "CapPlugs" in one brand name. They're commonly available
in small quanitites from most plastics distributors who supply bulk
plastic bags, shrink wrap, etc.

They're available in nominal o.d. and nominal i.d. shapes to fit almost
any male or female fitting you can imagine -- all the way from 1/8" i.d.
to 10" .

LLoyd

LLoyd get a star for the Day...... www.caplugs.com is the place !!!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
Brent Philion

Grant Erwin wrote:
Most torches I've owned have 9/16-18 threads for connection to the
welding hose (RH for oxygen, LH for fuel). I recently bought a used
torch which had little red plastic caps over the exposed 9/16" threads.
I thought that was a great idea, protecting the threads. Anyone know
where I can buy these little plastic caps designed to fit over torch
threads?

GWE
Seattle area

Heat Shrink tubing in any size between 5/8ths and 1"
shrink to fit loosely around the end as opposed to fitting it tightly

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
BILL MARRS

Anyplace that does builds anything using hydraulic valves and components
generates a pile of them. They come in EVERYTHING--pumps, valves,
cylinders, etc. Isn't there a Spenser
fluid power in your neck of the woods?

Plan #2--Go to the welding store and buy a set of left and right brass nuts
for welding hose.
get a couple of stems, connect with a short piece of chain or cable. More
spendy up
front, but will last several lifetimes.

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
Most torches I've owned have 9/16-18 threads for connection to the welding
hose (RH for oxygen, LH for fuel). I recently bought a used torch which
had little red plastic caps over the exposed 9/16" threads. I thought that
was a great idea, protecting the threads. Anyone know where I can buy
these little plastic caps designed to fit over torch threads?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
Grant Erwin

BILL MARRS wrote:

Plan #2--Go to the welding store and buy a set of left and right brass nuts
for welding hose.
get a couple of stems, connect with a short piece of chain or cable. More
spendy up
front, but will last several lifetimes.

Ah, I have some ancient torch lead just dying to be cut up. That's about an
excellent idea! I'm all over that.

GWE
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
Tom Gardner

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
I know about caplugs.com - their minimum order is like 5000 pieces!! YOW!!

GWE

I'm tellin ya the totoo joints buy ink cups from suppliers that buy them in
qty. as...cap plugs. You can order from cap plug by the thousand or get
them from a tatoo place by the handfull. They use a bunch of sizes. I can
get them for you from a bud that supplies the tatoo industry in bags of 100.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
Grant Erwin

Tom Gardner wrote:
"Grant Erwin" wrote in message

I know about caplugs.com - their minimum order is like 5000 pieces!! YOW!!

GWE

I'm tellin ya the totoo joints buy ink cups from suppliers that buy them in
qty. as...cap plugs. You can order from cap plug by the thousand or get
them from a tatoo place by the handfull. They use a bunch of sizes. I can
get them for you from a bud that supplies the tatoo industry in bags of 100.

Tom, I'll give it a shot, but I don't normally GET to tattoo parlors in my daily
life. I know Seattle's full of 'em, kids here seem to start in about 4th grade,
so I'll give it a shot. Thanks, anyway.

GWE

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
tomcas

Never_Enough_Tools wrote:

[...]

Caplug is the easiest place to get samples from. They will drop a few in
the mail for free, just ask. You can even email a request. Mcmaster
carries some and even Lowes and Home Depot (cough, cough, blow%&**^) has
some.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
Tom Gardner

Tom, I'll give it a shot, but I don't normally GET to tattoo parlors in my
daily
life. I know Seattle's full of 'em, kids here seem to start in about 4th
grade, so I'll give it a shot. Thanks, anyway.

GWE

Just ask your mother where they are. :)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
Grant Erwin

Tom Gardner wrote:

Tom, I'll give it a shot, but I don't normally GET to tattoo parlors in my
daily
life. I know Seattle's full of 'em, kids here seem to start in about 4th
grade, so I'll give it a shot. Thanks, anyway.

GWE

Just ask your mother where they are. :)

Funny, Tom. I cut the nuts off some old torch lead today and got 2 nice sets of
thread protectors out of the deal, tossed the old lead in the garbage and made
more room in the shop. Win-win-win. Thanks to all.

BTW I did write a different company and requested some samples.

GWE
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
Martin H. Eastburn

Could always call Victor for some - I bet they would help.
Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

Grant Erwin wrote:
Tom Gardner wrote:

Tom, I'll give it a shot, but I don't normally GET to tattoo parlors
in my daily
life. I know Seattle's full of 'em, kids here seem to start in about
4th grade, so I'll give it a shot. Thanks, anyway.

GWE

Just ask your mother where they are. :)

Funny, Tom. I cut the nuts off some old torch lead today and got 2 nice
sets of thread protectors out of the deal, tossed the old lead in the
garbage and made more room in the shop. Win-win-win. Thanks to all.

BTW I did write a different company and requested some samples.

GWE

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
Martin H. Eastburn

Drive the Welding guy nuts - ask for a custom hose - two nuts - on one short hose -
one left, one right. :-)

Can't be used for anything else - and it can be useful.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

BILL MARRS wrote:
Anyplace that does builds anything using hydraulic valves and components
generates a pile of them. They come in EVERYTHING--pumps, valves,
cylinders, etc. Isn't there a Spenser
fluid power in your neck of the woods?

Plan #2--Go to the welding store and buy a set of left and right brass nuts
for welding hose.
get a couple of stems, connect with a short piece of chain or cable. More
spendy up
front, but will last several lifetimes.

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message

Most torches I've owned have 9/16-18 threads for connection to the welding
hose (RH for oxygen, LH for fuel). I recently bought a used torch which
had little red plastic caps over the exposed 9/16" threads. I thought that
was a great idea, protecting the threads. Anyone know where I can buy
these little plastic caps designed to fit over torch threads?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
carl mciver

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
| Most torches I've owned have 9/16-18 threads for connection to the welding
hose
| (RH for oxygen, LH for fuel). I recently bought a used torch which had
little
| red plastic caps over the exposed 9/16" threads. I thought that was a
great
| idea, protecting the threads. Anyone know where I can buy these little
plastic
| caps designed to fit over torch threads?
|
| GWE
| Seattle area

_Everyone_ in the Seattle area knows someone who works for Boeing.....
Used by the billions for tubes, pipes, and all sorts of stuff. Most of them
get tossed.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
Ernie Leimkuhler

In article ,
Grant Erwin wrote:

Most torches I've owned have 9/16-18 threads for connection to the welding
hose
(RH for oxygen, LH for fuel). I recently bought a used torch which had little
red plastic caps over the exposed 9/16" threads. I thought that was a great
idea, protecting the threads. Anyone know where I can buy these little
plastic
caps designed to fit over torch threads?

GWE
Seattle area

Just buy extra nuts at a welding supply store.
Screw them onto the exposed threads.

--
Welding Instructor - South Seattle Comm. Coll.
- Divers Institute of Technology
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
technomaNge

Grant Erwin wrote:
Most torches I've owned have 9/16-18 threads for connection to the
welding hose (RH for oxygen, LH for fuel). I recently bought a used
torch which had little red plastic caps over the exposed 9/16" threads.
I thought that was a great idea, protecting the threads. Anyone know
where I can buy these little plastic caps designed to fit over torch
threads?

GWE
Seattle area

Google for "caplugs", they probably made the ones you are talking about.
They will send (a few) samples if you ask nicely.

technomaNge

--
Ted Kennedy's car has killed more
people than my gun.