Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Arcady

Default Cupertino, CA - local lathe owner for small help?

Hi,

I have small 2" lathe chuck with jaws out of true. Whole assembly is running fine with
only 2 thou but jaws need to be turned internally (current indicator gives me 0.025").
Is there any body nearby willing to help? For this one I don't need anything better than
few thou (jaws are aluminum) but lathe should be able to reach into 10 mm hole and lock
the 2" assembly and maybe 1" locking ring should be made to turn the thing properly. Maybe
somebody just know local machine shop where it could be done for few bucks? Whole Santa
Clara County will do.

Here is the pic of this chuck:
http://s89568048.onlinehome.us/images/044.JPG

Thanks,
Arcady
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
skuke

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 08:28:25 GMT, Arcady wrote:

Hi,

I have small 2" lathe chuck with jaws out of true. Whole assembly is running fine with
only 2 thou but jaws need to be turned internally (current indicator gives me 0.025").
Is there any body nearby willing to help? For this one I don't need anything better than
few thou (jaws are aluminum) but lathe should be able to reach into 10 mm hole and lock
the 2" assembly and maybe 1" locking ring should be made to turn the thing properly. Maybe
somebody just know local machine shop where it could be done for few bucks? Whole Santa
Clara County will do.

Here is the pic of this chuck:
http://s89568048.onlinehome.us/images/044.JPG

Thanks,
Arcady

I'm a little confused as to why you can't bore the jaws on the lathe itself
with the chuck mounted on the head.
--
Skuke
Reverse the domain name to send email
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon

Arcady wrote:
Hi,

I have small 2" lathe chuck with jaws out of true. Whole assembly is running fine with
only 2 thou but jaws need to be turned internally (current indicator gives me 0.025").
Is there any body nearby willing to help? For this one I don't need anything better than
few thou (jaws are aluminum) but lathe should be able to reach into 10 mm hole and lock
the 2" assembly and maybe 1" locking ring should be made to turn the thing properly. Maybe
somebody just know local machine shop where it could be done for few bucks? Whole Santa
Clara County will do.

Here is the pic of this chuck:
http://s89568048.onlinehome.us/images/044.JPG

Can't you do it on your own lathe? That's the way it's done on the Taig
lathe I have, with a boring tool.

Leon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Arcady

skuke wrote:

I'm a little confused as to why you can't bore the jaws on the lathe itself
with the chuck mounted on the head.

I have no lathe - what I have is actually a toy. I could reach inside by the boring tool
but saddle has no strength to make the boring satisfactory when I work with the metal.
Also I cannot fix the jaws properly - I tried and now the inside is bigger then before
without the improved quality. I need something heavy to do it properly.

Thanks,
Arcady
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Arcady

xray wrote:

This may be fine, but from your picture, the jaws are reversable. I'm
not sure if you reference the inside or the outside numbers when
assembling it. Is there any chance that the 1 and 3 jaws are in the
wrong slots?

Maybe there is nothing really wrong except assembly?

No - it is assembled properly - you have to refer to inside numbers.

Thanks,
Arcady

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
xmradio

What about a surface grinder?

Take the jaws out, put them on the table, mark them with dye, surface grind
them.

Put them back in the lathe, check, then resurface....

xman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

In article , Arcady says...

Here is the pic of this chuck:
http://s89568048.onlinehome.us/images/044.JPG

If you don't mind teh suggestion, you might be better off spending
the money you would otherwise pay to have the existing chuck re-worked,
buying a small brand new chuck.

If you think about it, any job a commercial shop will do on that chuck
will be a miniumum of an hour, they will bill at 65 per hour, probably.

Take that money, add 20 or so more and purchase a brand new three
jaw chuck from bison. You will be much happier with the results in
the long run.

Jim

please reply to:
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
skuke

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 11:29:07 GMT, Arcady wrote:

skuke wrote:

I'm a little confused as to why you can't bore the jaws on the lathe itself
with the chuck mounted on the head.

I have no lathe - what I have is actually a toy. I could reach inside by the boring tool
but saddle has no strength to make the boring satisfactory when I work with the metal.
Also I cannot fix the jaws properly - I tried and now the inside is bigger then before
without the improved quality. I need something heavy to do it properly.

Thanks,
Arcady

I can do it. I have a Hardinge Tool Room clone with a three jaw that should
hold the 2" OD of your 3 jaw easily enough. Understand that when I bore the
jaws, the ID will be concentric to the OD of the chuck rather than
concentric to the mounting system of the chuck. There may be a difference
since you have a "toy" and who knows what the quality of the components may
be.

I'm in West SJ and work in Sunnyvale. Drop me an private email. ...I hope
you're not in a huge rush.
--
Skuke
Reverse the domain name to send email
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Young

"Arcady" wrote in message
et...
Hi,

I have small 2" lathe chuck with jaws out of true. Whole assembly is
running fine with only 2 thou but jaws need to be turned internally
(current indicator gives me 0.025").
Is there any body nearby willing to help? For this one I don't need
anything better than
few thou (jaws are aluminum) but lathe should be able to reach into 10 mm
hole and lock the 2" assembly and maybe 1" locking ring should be made to
turn the thing properly. Maybe somebody just know local machine shop where
it could be done for few bucks? Whole Santa Clara County will do.

Here is the pic of this chuck:
http://s89568048.onlinehome.us/images/044.JPG

Thanks,
Arcady

If you are certain that the jaws are in the correct slots (and engaged to
the scroll thread in the correct order) then a Dremel tool secured to the
carriage could be used to true the jaws. The jaws need to be tightened
against something. Though not as accurate, tightening them against an
external ring is much easier and may be good enough for a toy.

Don Young

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

STOP.
Don't do anything yet.

Look at the picture - the jaws are in the wrong positions.
The chuck should be out of whack.

the numbers on the jaws must match the numbers on the chuck.
Simple.
Get them in the current slots and then see what it does.

In the process - be very sure the threads in the back and the internal
area around the jaws are very clean. Metal chips can wedge easily.

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

Arcady wrote:
Hi,

I have small 2" lathe chuck with jaws out of true. Whole assembly is
running fine with only 2 thou but jaws need to be turned internally
(current indicator gives me 0.025").
Is there any body nearby willing to help? For this one I don't need
anything better than
few thou (jaws are aluminum) but lathe should be able to reach into 10
mm hole and lock the 2" assembly and maybe 1" locking ring should be
made to turn the thing properly. Maybe somebody just know local machine
shop where it could be done for few bucks? Whole Santa Clara County will
do.

Here is the pic of this chuck:
http://s89568048.onlinehome.us/images/044.JPG

Thanks,
Arcady

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
skuke

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 23:27:19 -0600, Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

STOP.
Don't do anything yet.

Look at the picture - the jaws are in the wrong positions.
The chuck should be out of whack.

the numbers on the jaws must match the numbers on the chuck.
Simple.
Get them in the current slots and then see what it does.

The numbers do match! ...just depends on which number on the jaw you wanna
read.

--
Skuke
Reverse the domain name to send email
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Arcady

jim rozen wrote:

If you don't mind teh suggestion, you might be better off spending
the money you would otherwise pay to have the existing chuck re-worked,
buying a small brand new chuck.

If you think about it, any job a commercial shop will do on that chuck
will be a miniumum of an hour, they will bill at 65 per hour, probably.

That's what I mean - 'for few bucks' I did not realize what the work time and price
could be.

Take that money, add 20 or so more and purchase a brand new three
jaw chuck from bison. You will be much happier with the results in
the long run.

Sure, I checked the sources. The only problem is to find the proper part. It cannot be
more then 2" and it must have M12*1 thread - not easy to find at inchland. But I
definitely will try this if decide that it's justified.

Arcady
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Arcady

xray wrote:

You have actually done the experiment though, right? Who turned the ends
of the jaws? They knew what you know?

I did try other way around - it's for external hold - so jaws position is positively
correct. Internal whole has been severely damaged and the current state is the
after-repair state (very poor repair indeed).

Just double checking. The beveled sides of the jaws all touch evenly
when you close it all the way? I'm puzzled how the existing hole in the
center gets off by 10's of thousandths. Was the chuck off center when it
was done? Do you have any idea how it might have happened?

Sides touch evenly but the way thing has been fixed made this hole off-center. There is
not too much left to try anything but the good lathe - or chuck will be ruined completely
due to too big center whole - it is already at least 4mm instead of 2mm. Looks like it
worth the attempt but only 'for free' - or it will be smarter to buy the new one.

Arcady
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
brownnsharp

Check old posts by "brownnsharp" for a good technique to adjust
trueness of jaws.

brownnsharp

Arcady wrote:
Hi,

I have small 2" lathe chuck with jaws out of true. Whole assembly is running fine with
only 2 thou but jaws need to be turned internally (current indicator gives me 0.025").
Is there any body nearby willing to help? For this one I don't need anything better than
few thou (jaws are aluminum) but lathe should be able to reach into 10 mm hole and lock
the 2" assembly and maybe 1" locking ring should be made to turn the thing properly. Maybe
somebody just know local machine shop where it could be done for few bucks? Whole Santa
Clara County will do.

Here is the pic of this chuck:
http://s89568048.onlinehome.us/images/044.JPG

Thanks,
Arcady

Some basic metal lathe questions Grant Erwin Metalworking 5 July 19th 05 11:18 AM
A Sennca Falls Lathe questions jmiguez Metalworking 31 January 31st 05 01:54 PM
Kelton Balancer Review Draft--long Lyn J. Mangiameli Woodturning 0 October 29th 03 04:44 AM
Lathe price Cuezilla Metalworking 13 October 6th 03 07:42 PM
Logan Lathe Tool Gloat Grant Erwin Metalworking 9 September 18th 03 08:45 AM