Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Name

Default Die Shape Question

Are hex dies just for fixing threads and round dies are for actually making
threads??

Thanks!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney

Some, but not all, hex-shaped dies are intended for thread repair only.
Maybe at one time the hex shape indicated a re-threading die, but that is
not always the case now. Craftsman, for one, distributes general-purpose
dies that are hex-shaped.

Bob Swinney
"Name" wrote in message
Are hex dies just for fixing threads and round dies are for actually
making
threads??

Thanks!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Name

"Name" wrote in message
Are hex dies just for fixing threads and round dies are for actually
making
threads??

Thanks!

"Robert Swinney" wrote in message
. ..
Some, but not all, hex-shaped dies are intended for thread repair only.
Maybe at one time the hex shape indicated a re-threading die, but that is
not always the case now. Craftsman, for one, distributes general-purpose
dies that are hex-shaped.

Bob Swinney

Hi. Thanks. I have a few Craftsman dies that I used to clean up threads,
but I thought they were to make threads. I have never needed to make any
threads yet. I also have a $10 Harbor Freight set that has round dies, but
the place where the round rod would enter the die is not tapered like the
Craftsman ones, and I don't see how anyone could use them to make threads
that way.

The main thing that got me started to wonder about it was what I read on the
McMaster-Carr site about the round vs. hex.

Thanks!

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 06:52 AM
Vague Cinci mill question Ecnerwal Metalworking 10 November 21st 04 11:29 PM
Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs Home Ownership 2 March 25th 04 08:03 PM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 02:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 06:22 PM