DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Excitement at the old homestead (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/142400-excitement-old-homestead.html)

Karl Townsend January 29th 06 09:41 AM

Excitement at the old homestead

I'm a snowbird. When I head south, my son moves back home to watch things -
free rent, food, exclusive use of the shop, etc.

Last year he called me up and explained how he was REALLY sick. I told him
to get to the Doc right away. Long story short, after three hospitals and
two surgeries we got him back home healthy. I made him promise not to
threaten to die when we made our trip south this year.

Anyway, Friday night, he called me in a total panic. His car was on fire in
the garage. The fire extinguisher didn't put it out. He asked what to do. I
told him "call the fire department first, then get two more extinguishers
from the sales room. Then, I immediately called the next door neighbor and
said the kid needs your help.

The neighbor and my son got the car pulled away from the house just before
it got real hot. The fire department showed up and got everything put out.
Sounds like there's scorched siding on the house. The car is a total loss.

After everything had settled down, my son and I were talking the whole event
over. His best quote, "You told me I couldn't threaten to die again, So I
thought I should threaten to burn your house down"

Karl

Ken Sterling January 29th 06 03:00 PM

[...]

You need a different housesitter - while you *still* have a house....
Ken.

Kelly Jones January 29th 06 06:03 PM

Ken Sterling (Ken Sterling) wrote in message
[...]

Good story. Glad everyone is OK.

Eide January 30th 06 01:27 AM

Excitement at the old homestead

Some red flags should go up if someone calls you to ask your advice about a
vehicle which is currently burning in the garage.

"Karl Townsend" remove .NOT wrote in
message anews.com...

Karl Townsend January 30th 06 06:30 AM

Excitement at the old homestead

Some red flags should go up if someone calls you to ask your advice about
a vehicle which is currently burning in the garage.

I disagree. I live out in the country in Minnesota where you rely on family
and neighbors first. That 15 second call to dear old dad got him two more
fire extinguishers and a neighbor to help all before the fire department
could get there.

Karl

Nick Hull January 30th 06 02:11 PM

Excitement at the old homestead

In article .com,
"Karl Townsend" remove .NOT wrote:

Some red flags should go up if someone calls you to ask your advice about
a vehicle which is currently burning in the garage.

I disagree. I live out in the country in Minnesota where you rely on family
and neighbors first. That 15 second call to dear old dad got him two more
fire extinguishers and a neighbor to help all before the fire department
could get there.

Usually you can have a pizza delivered before the civil servants arrive
;)

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

BEAR February 4th 06 12:08 AM

Karl Townsend wrote:

Some red flags should go up if someone calls you to ask your advice about
a vehicle which is currently burning in the garage.

I disagree. I live out in the country in Minnesota where you rely on family
and neighbors first. That 15 second call to dear old dad got him two more
fire extinguishers and a neighbor to help all before the fire department
could get there.

Karl

Ummm... what caused the car to be on fire??

And - you like your son way more than my father seems to ever have liked
me - he'd have shown me the door after stuff like that (I strongly suspect).

_-_-bear