Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Schwab

Default Fluorescent light fixtures

Hello all,

This is sorta on topic, because the fixture in question is in my shop
I didn't think you'd fall for that.

A two-bulb fixture went flaky, and having some idea of its age, and not
wanting to drive back and forth for bulbs and then a balast, I decided
to replace the fixture. It was the right call; the old balast looked awful.

All seems well, but I can't get the cover to stay put. Is there any
secret to them? Maybe I just need to bend the edges to make it grab???
I didn't see any obvious hardware to lock it in place, and the old one
sure put up a fight before it moved.

Score another one for my $140 shop crane. I notched some scrap wood to
allow it to hold the fixture in place while I fought with the joists.

Bill
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP*

"Bill Schwab" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hello all,

This is sorta on topic, because the fixture in question is in my shop I
didn't think you'd fall for that.

A two-bulb fixture went flaky, and having some idea of its age, and not
wanting to drive back and forth for bulbs and then a balast, I decided to
replace the fixture. It was the right call; the old balast looked awful.

All seems well, but I can't get the cover to stay put. Is there any
secret to them? Maybe I just need to bend the edges to make it grab??? I
didn't see any obvious hardware to lock it in place, and the old one sure
put up a fight before it moved.

If it's a wrap fixture, hook one side on and then flex the other outwards
slightly to "wrap" it around the pan.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Schwab

If it's a wrap fixture, hook one side on and then flex the other outwards
slightly to "wrap" it around the pan.

It think that's the idea, but it wouldn't stay put. It might simply be
that I need to bend it some to get to grab.

Thanks!

Bill
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP*

"Bill Schwab" wrote in message
ink.net...
If it's a wrap fixture, hook one side on and then flex the other outwards
slightly to "wrap" it around the pan.

It think that's the idea, but it wouldn't stay put. It might simply be
that I need to bend it some to get to grab.

Thanks!

Bill

You should be able to see it hook over the sheet metal. Some of them can be
a bitch.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Schwab

If it's a wrap fixture, hook one side on and then flex the other outwards
slightly to "wrap" it around the pan.

It think that's the idea, but it wouldn't stay put. It might simply be
that I need to bend it some to get to grab.

Thanks!

Bill

You should be able to see it hook over the sheet metal. Some of them can be
a bitch.

I got it! As I was tossing the packaging, I spotted (yes, I know I'm
not supposed to read themg) the instructions on the bottom of the box.
They referenced a quarter-turn fastener, and there was an H-shaped
piece of metal that clearly was designed to be pressed into a hole. It
took some imagination, but I found a way to get it to grab.

Now if my garage door opener would close the door on its own (started
acting up last night), I now know a bunch of things that are _not_
wrong with it ~

Thanks!

Bill

What kind of glue? Fluorescent light fixture lens. Terry Home Repair 6 January 2nd 05 10:34 PM
Inground spa light replac barry martin Home Repair 0 October 14th 04 12:30 AM
Change a light bulb Usenet Style Stormin Mormon Home Repair 1 July 18th 04 11:03 AM
changing a light bulb Joe Home Repair 6 March 8th 04 06:30 PM
anyone know how to diagnose a faulty Choke / Ballast in fluorescent light circuit nick UK diy 14 July 7th 03 02:01 PM