Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Too_Many_Tools

Default Small Workshops

I would be interested in hearing and seeing examples of very small
workshops (closets/small apartments/small bedrooms) and how people have
adapted a workshop to a very small space. Pictures or links to pictures
would be great. I would think the challenges of lighting, ventilation,
power, chip control and space would create some interesting solutions.
Any articles that discuss this subject would also be welcome.

Thanks for any contributions you might offer.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I would be interested in hearing and seeing examples of very small
workshops (closets/small apartments/small bedrooms) and how people have
adapted a workshop to a very small space. Pictures or links to pictures
would be great. I would think the challenges of lighting, ventilation,
power, chip control and space would create some interesting solutions.
Any articles that discuss this subject would also be welcome.

I had a shop in a walk-in closet for a while. Lathe bench across the
back, workbench on either side, 3 foot square well to stand in at the
center, lots of shelving above. No ventilation, power from an
extension cord to the living room, chip control and general cleanup via
a small shop vac.

The amazing thing was how much time I'd spend looking for the lathe
chuck wrench, which I was just holding, and had to have put down within
arms reach of where I was standing.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brent Philion

For now my metal workshop consists of a sunroom and a space beside the
washer and dryer

i've learned the value of the rolling tool chest but everything has to
clamp or work around the 2x4' welding table

the welder fits under it comfortably to tuck away

Electrical its wired to the dryer plug instead of a weling receptacle to
deal with existing in house wiring

the only permanent addition to the table is a mechanics vise

the rest can be cleared or cluttered with whatever priject i ahve going on

Room 2 Sunroom

about 70 square feet with a 10X36 atlas lathe in one side
beside it a B&D workmate that i use to fasten down additional tools
(Grinder, Abrasive chopsaw and so on)

the shelf below the lathe and a table opposite the lathe have my tooling
faceplates dogs and so on

what sucks is the rooms ar on diff floors

so i also try keeping a spanner and common wrenches in both areas

the overall verdict on this..... I'm making a two car garage asap with
room for one car and one workshop

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I would be interested in hearing and seeing examples of very small
workshops (closets/small apartments/small bedrooms) and how people have
adapted a workshop to a very small space. Pictures or links to pictures
would be great. I would think the challenges of lighting, ventilation,
power, chip control and space would create some interesting solutions.
Any articles that discuss this subject would also be welcome.

Thanks for any contributions you might offer.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard Lamb

Brent Philion wrote:

For now my metal workshop consists of a sunroom and a space beside the
washer and dryer

Can anyone suggest some decorating tips to deal with the airplane
in the living room?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brent Philion

Richard Lamb wrote:
Brent Philion wrote:

For now my metal workshop consists of a sunroom and a space beside the
washer and dryer

Can anyone suggest some decorating tips to deal with the airplane
in the living room?

1. Hang it from the roof

2. Deny its existence and look at anyone who says otherwise like they
are crazy =)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Rand

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 18:48:44 GMT, Richard Lamb wrote:

Brent Philion wrote:

For now my metal workshop consists of a sunroom and a space beside the
washer and dryer

Can anyone suggest some decorating tips to deal with the airplane
in the living room?

Magnolia coloured emulsion (latex) paint and hope that it blends in? G

Mark Rand
RTFM