Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Wixon

Default aluminum square tubing source?

i'd like to get the stuff they use to make aluminum truck cargo bed caps.
1" square, radiused corners, thin wall, i assume not extruded, aluminum
tubing. i've used 6061 T6 tubing before and somehow this stuff doesn't seem
like 6061 T6 to me, it seems softer and more weldable. they use this stuff
to build aluminum truck caps and it has welded connections. i don't know
what it's called so i don't know where to look for it and every place i have
looked has 6061 T6 non-radiused (square) corner extruded stuff, "aircraft
grade". the stuff i'm looking for would be, i assume, NOT aircraft grade.

b.w.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stephen Young

William Wixon wrote:
i'd like to get the stuff they use to make aluminum truck cargo bed caps.
1" square, radiused corners, thin wall, i assume not extruded, aluminum
tubing. i've used 6061 T6 tubing before and somehow this stuff doesn't seem
like 6061 T6 to me, it seems softer and more weldable. they use this stuff
to build aluminum truck caps and it has welded connections. i don't know
what it's called so i don't know where to look for it and every place i have
looked has 6061 T6 non-radiused (square) corner extruded stuff, "aircraft
grade". the stuff i'm looking for would be, i assume, NOT aircraft grade.

b.w.

I bought some tubing that sounds like what you're describing at an
awning fabricator local to me. Waterford, MI.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
carl mciver

"William Wixon" wrote in message
| i'd like to get the stuff they use to make aluminum truck cargo bed caps.
| 1" square, radiused corners, thin wall, i assume not extruded, aluminum
| tubing. i've used 6061 T6 tubing before and somehow this stuff doesn't
seem
| like 6061 T6 to me, it seems softer and more weldable. they use this
stuff
| to build aluminum truck caps and it has welded connections. i don't know
| what it's called so i don't know where to look for it and every place i
have
| looked has 6061 T6 non-radiused (square) corner extruded stuff, "aircraft
| grade". the stuff i'm looking for would be, i assume, NOT aircraft grade.
|
| b.w.

Aircraft grade don't mean nothin' but marketing. Aircraft use all
grades/alloys of aluminum, providing the alloy's actually what the markings
say it is.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard Lamb

William Wixon wrote:
i'd like to get the stuff they use to make aluminum truck cargo bed caps.
1" square, radiused corners, thin wall, i assume not extruded, aluminum
tubing. i've used 6061 T6 tubing before and somehow this stuff doesn't seem
like 6061 T6 to me, it seems softer and more weldable. they use this stuff
to build aluminum truck caps and it has welded connections. i don't know
what it's called so i don't know where to look for it and every place i have
looked has 6061 T6 non-radiused (square) corner extruded stuff, "aircraft
grade". the stuff i'm looking for would be, i assume, NOT aircraft grade.

b.w.

Might be "architectural" aluminum - 5053 h something or other.

It it a fairly soft temper.
Cheap stuff.

Richard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

6061-T6 is often available with radiused corners it's 6063 that usually
has the square exterior corners. Try Tube Service in LA, CA or any tube
supplier in your neck of the woods. Leigh@MarMachine