Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ted harris

Default lathe advice...

Hello,
Any suggestions on what is best to buy if buying new belt driven or geared
head metal lathes in the $2,000-$4,000 range?

Thanks,
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ted harris

In news:ted harris typed:
Hello,
Any suggestions on what is best to buy if buying new belt driven or geared
head metal lathes in the $2,000-$4,000 range?

Thanks,

Sorry for the extra post...
I was referring to a 13" x 40"...

Thanks again,
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney

Take a look at MSC - but you are not likely to find a new geared head 13 x
40 for under $6000.

Bob Swinney
"ted harris" wrote in message
In news:ted harris typed:
Hello,
Any suggestions on what is best to buy if buying new belt driven or
geared
head metal lathes in the $2,000-$4,000 range?

Thanks,

Sorry for the extra post...
I was referring to a 13" x 40"...

Thanks again,
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gary

For $4000.00 you can get a Birmingham English made lathe which is a
very nicely made machine. Weighs about a ton and is quite solid.
Google for Birmingham Lathe.
73 Gary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
R. O'Brian

A lathe in that price range may not have the best quality gears, possibly
leading to noise and vibration. I would rather go belt driven and most
likely have a smooth, quiet machine. Of course, if you can witness the
machine under power, it might not be an issue.

It is a little more trouble to change speeds on a belt drive, but you could
eventually install a VFD which will eliminate that problem and enhance the
low noise performance even more due to the 3-phase motor required for VFD
operation.

Randy

"ted harris" wrote in message
Hello,
Any suggestions on what is best to buy if buying new belt driven or geared
head metal lathes in the $2,000-$4,000 range?

Thanks,
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington

By this do you mean a new lathe 13 x 40 size made in the UK, I would
doubt it. Probably just a Chinese or Taiwanese made lathe sold by a
company called Birmingham.

Gary wrote:

For $4000.00 you can get a Birmingham English made lathe which is a
very nicely made machine. Weighs about a ton and is quite solid.
Google for Birmingham Lathe.
73 Gary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gary

Check out Southern-tool.com

By this do you mean a new lathe 13 x 40 size made in the UK, I would
doubt it. Probably just a Chinese or Taiwanese made lathe sold by a
company called Birmingham.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington

I couldn;t see any mention of where they are manufactrued on that web
site but this one lists a number of the same Birmingham lathes as made
in China http://www.americanmachinetools.com/lathe.htm

Gary wrote:

Check out Southern-tool.com

By this do you mean a new lathe 13 x 40 size made in the UK, I would
doubt it. Probably just a Chinese or Taiwanese made lathe sold by a
company called Birmingham.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gary

Thanks for the pointer. Their price is about $400.00 less than
Southern Tool's for the YCL-1440 that I am interested in. The name had
me fooled. I used to use a Harrison tool room lathe that was quite
nice
73 Gary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Chuck Sherwood

I would call up my favorite machine tool dealer named Dick Trimstra
and ask him to find me a nice used machine. He gets lots good stuff
from schools etc. You can even find him on ebay. bmachines I think.
He is in detroit, but delivers for very reasonable prices.

chuck

In article ,
ted harris wrote:
Hello,
Any suggestions on what is best to buy if buying new belt driven or geared
head metal lathes in the $2,000-$4,000 range?

Thanks,
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If you are interested in a clean 1989 harrison M300 w/ tracer, $5000.
would pry it out of my storage unit. Has some extras like a 3J chuck
along with the tracer. Leigh@MarMachine

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 13:45:33 +0000, David Billington
wrote:

I couldn;t see any mention of where they are manufactrued on that web
site but this one lists a number of the same Birmingham lathes as made
in China http://www.americanmachinetools.com/lathe.htm

Birmingham lathes are made in China, or Taiwan, depending on model.
They are basiclly no more than a rebadged Red Dragon Noodle and
Machine Tool Works machine. Not bad. Not great..but a decent machine.
They tend to wear a bit in 15-20 yrs..more so than good American iron
in production usage. But they are decent enough to do good work with,
and are found in a number of commercial machine shops. Same with the
mills with the same badge. The same mills may be found badged as
Comet etc etc..and the lathes under MCM and other names

They are NOT British made. Perhaps ..and likely..there was a
Birmingham Machine works in Britian at one time..but no longer.

Gunner, machine tool repair tech

Gary wrote:

Check out Southern-tool.com

By this do you mean a new lathe 13 x 40 size made in the UK, I would
doubt it. Probably just a Chinese or Taiwanese made lathe sold by a
company called Birmingham.

"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her tits"
John Griffin