Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roy

Default Hot water formable plastic material

Bout 6 years or so ago i had surgery on my left arm and elbow. During
the physical therapy sessions a therapist made a custom molded to form
brace to hold my fingers in various postions and my elbow at a
specific angle. I watched her make it, and it was cut simply with a
scissors or knife, came in sheet form of approx 1/8" or thicker, and
her cabinet had it in flesh color, as well as clear, black, brown,
grey and white. Once cut it was simply placed in hot water, removed
and placedon the body part and formed using her hands etc. I was
intrigued by this material and she gave me a few piece sof
it......which I have used for varous odds and ends over the years, but
my main intent and interest with this plsatic material is to form a
cup and funnel assembly for another project I am working on. That
therapist no longer works at the place and any other person i have
asked there for info has been of little help (guess its their closely
guarded trade secret material) . I ofund it can be solvent welded just
fine with the typical line of Weldon #3 and 4 and 16 solvent glues.

So does anyone know what the actual name of this material is and
possibly a source for it?

Just the small scraps I have of it that I have been playing with shows
a lot of promise in doing what I need to do, as it stretches and forms
really easy so longish drawn forms are a possiblity.

Regards

--
\\\|///
( @ @ )

oooO
---------( )----Oooo----------------
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder! Koi-ahoi mates....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff R

"Roy" wrote in message

So does anyone know what the actual name of this material is and
possibly a source for it?

Just the small scraps I have of it that I have been playing with shows
a lot of promise in doing what I need to do, as it stretches and forms
really easy so longish drawn forms are a possiblity.

Regards

--
\\\|///
( @ @ )
-----------oOOo(_)oOOo---------------

oooO
---------( )----Oooo----------------
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder! Koi-ahoi mates....

(I usually snip sigs, but... :-) )

Is this it?

Not my auction.

--
Jeff R.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roy

Nope sorry..it is a orthopaedic plastic and water formable though.
Pretty neat stuff, that I have bought before. The stuff I am looking
for is in sheet form. Best I recall is the sheets were like 12" x 36
inches and about 1/8 . thick up to approx 5/16 or 3/8"

Thanks anyway
much appreciated.

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 11:49:10 +1100, "Jeff R"
wrote:

"Roy" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bugs

Probably sheet PVC. Same stuff as PVC pipe & can be welded with PVC
solvent cement from the hardware store. A surgical supply through a
friendly? doctor is probably the best route.
Bugs

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
MKnott

Roy wrote:
[...]

Roy, I think that what you are looking for is aquaplast. There are
probably other manufacturers of the material by now.
http://www.wfr-aquaplast.com/pages/protosheets.html
Michael

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roy

Thats the stuff. Called em up yesterday and got a few samples and
specs on the way. They do not offer clear, but their other colors
will do just fine. Clear was a first choice as you could easily see
how much junk was collected just with a quick look, but I may be able
to cut in a clear sight window to faciliate seeing the contents, if
not, its still not a big deal to lift the lid and look.

Thanks.....