Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Sunworshipper

Default Horizontal Band Saw Guides & Such

I have an Olsen saw that I need to fix today, not sure on how they are
sized, but probably could cut 1.4' X 1.4' . Hmmm the five key doesn't
word on this key board. The last project I took the guides apart,
cleaned, and reconditioned. I adjusted them methodically through the
best guess process and cut a thick odd shaped cast iron work. I had
tested it a number of times on bar stock and seemed to cut straight,
but on the cast iron work it deviated and I let it go cause it wasn't
going too far and then the blade jumped off. I tried to fix it , but
it jumped off again with just running it and then gave up.

I'm wondering if I warped the blade or if the guide wheels are in the
wrong position. It will take awhile just to dig the machine out of the
mess I made of my shop yesterday moving new machines in and was
wondering if any of you have any suggestions.

I guess I'll take the guides off and see if the blade wobbles, if it
does is there any fix? Heat , tighten, and run? The guides are fully
adjustable, but obviously I didn't guess right the first time. There
must be a procedure to setting the guides up from scratch. I think I
adjusted them so the top wheels didn't touch the blade while running
and then slowly moved them down, but it,s really hard to know where
the blade wants to run while being twisted as designed to make the
vertical cut.

BTW, I found out that those cast iron fence parts are really clean at
least it was no problem chopping up one big time to make a specialized
part with a hack saw and lathe. I need to make ten more and not up to
cutting them all by hand.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Sunworshipper

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 08:56:04 -0800, Sunworshipper
wrote:

[...]

I think I found the problem, had the guide wheels tight against both
sides of the blade so that it would follow even though it would seem
to want to walk out when backed off, but wouldn't.

Desk horizontal JustMe UK diy 6 December 19th 05 03:48 AM
review of mm16 ceramic guides Slowhand Woodworking 7 June 25th 05 02:01 PM
Bench Top Horizontal Mill Stands/Cabinets Too_Many_Tools Metalworking 2 August 24th 04 12:51 AM
RCA TV - Model: F32665 / Chasis:CTC203CX Guy Petty Electronics Repair 10 May 4th 04 03:22 AM
Blade Bearing Guides for Horizontal Band Saw Steve Metalworking 1 November 18th 03 05:03 AM