Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Chase

Default Nanofoil

http://www.llnl.gov/str/October05/pdfs/10_05.1.pdf

Soldering, brazing, .... Anybody heard of a price for this stuff yet?

-jc-

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.pyrotechnics

John Chase wrote:
http://www.llnl.gov/str/October05/pdfs/10_05.1.pdf

Soldering, brazing, .... Anybody heard of a price for this stuff yet?

-jc-

Anybody in rp got something to say on this?

Gotta get me some nanofoil.

Doug

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.pyrotechnics
Boris Mohar

On 22 Jan 2006 05:29:24 -0800, wrote:

John Chase wrote:
http://www.llnl.gov/str/October05/pdfs/10_05.1.pdf

Soldering, brazing, .... Anybody heard of a price for this stuff yet?

-jc-

Anybody in rp got something to say on this?

Gotta get me some nanofoil.

Doug

Try asking in sci.materials. Interesting stuff.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Got Knock? - see:
Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs (among other things) http://www.viatrack.ca

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.pyrotechnics
Mike Swisher

The Ni/Al intermetallic reaction is certainly within the bounds of pyrotechnics,
but I doubt you'll get much feedback on rec.pyro - it's really more within the
sphere of the military pyro field than fireworks. I suspect many applications
there are classified.

There are lots of similar exothermic alloying reactions, or incalescences. The
Pd/Al intermetallic is mentioned by Ellern. Both Pd-clad Al wire and foil are
still made under the trade-name Pyrofuze. You should be able to turn up some
information by searching under that name. You will also get quite a number of
results by searching "exothermic intermetallic reactions." The Russians
particularly seem to have done research on them, not only for pyrotechnic
applications but also for powder metallurgy.

I don't think there is even now a very firm theoretical understanding of how
these reactions work. McLain devotes Chapter XIV of his "Pyrotechnics from the
Viewpoint of Solid State Chemistry" to them and proposes several mechanisms.
Fischer and Grubelich provide an enormous tabular listing of intermetallic
reactions and their thermodynamic output in a paper "Theoretical Energy Release
of Thermites, Intermetallics, and Combustible Metals" in Proc. 24th. I.P.S.
(1998, pp. 231-286), but even this is not complete, as it does not (for example)
mention the incalescence of gold with aluminum, etc.

In article , Boris Mohar says...

John Chase wrote:
http://www.llnl.gov/str/October05/pdfs/10_05.1.pdf

Soldering, brazing, .... Anybody heard of a price for this stuff yet?

-jc-

Anybody in rp got something to say on this?

Gotta get me some nanofoil.

Doug

Try asking in sci.materials. Interesting stuff.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Got Knock? - see:
Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs (among other things) http://www.viatrack.ca

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Actually you have the concept.
Make some.
Have a slip roll ? some solder - what you are using - some bronze sheet -
Silver solder or alloys are in sheet form. Gold and silver are already
this thin - or close - pads are setup for art work - doors and frames.....

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

John Chase wrote:
http://www.llnl.gov/str/October05/pdfs/10_05.1.pdf

Soldering, brazing, .... Anybody heard of a price for this stuff yet?

-jc-

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.pyrotechnics
donald haarmann

| John Chase wrote:
| http://www.llnl.gov/str/October05/pdfs/10_05.1.pdf
|
| Soldering, brazing, .... Anybody heard of a price for this stuff yet?
|
| -jc-
|
| Anybody in rp got something to say on this?
|
| Gotta get me some nanofoil.
|
| Doug

---------
I rang up Alexander P Hardt 'bout this..... he put me on to his :-

Incendiary Potential of Exothermic Intermetallic Reactions
Lockheed Palo Alto Research Laboratory contractor report LMSC-D177523
1971

As usual the my contact at the Bulgarian Embassy was able to pony up a copy.
(The Bulgarians have an even better library of US Gov. publication than the
Ruskies. Oiwever, for da "Cosmic Top Secret" and "White Night" grade material the .......
naw - sping will soon be here and I don't need to spend it in Cuba.)

-----------
"Based on the thermal measurments of this study, summerized in Table IX, it was
concluded that the following systems have the greatest incendiary potential:

-------
-------
-------
Aluminum with nickel or with mixtures of the above."

From Table IX

NiAl [40µ/30µ]
Heat of Reaction air 440 cal/g [Thus a good deal of heat is the result of oxidation.]
do do argon 242 .
Ignition temperature air 640o C.
Average Reaction Temp 1700o C.

For comparison:-

Thermate TH-3.
1241
1247
600o
2940o (computed)

There is only one intermetallic reaction whose heat of reaction and temperature or reaction exceeds
that of TH-3. 1226/1225/3000.

--
donald j haarmann
------------------------------
At a Scottish wedding the bridegroom, as was
customary at a wedding breakfast, arose to
respond to the toast of the health of the bride. He
was not used to public speaking and, words
failing him, he contented himself with the response,
"Well, there's naething wrang with the woman" ; and
in proposing the toast of "Applied Science" he
should like to point the moral of this story, and say
that there was nothing wrong with it ; that it was in a
state of absolute health, and in this country, as well
as in others, it was in a state of marvelous fertility,
and as each branch of Applied Sciences was apparently
capable of producing any number of other branches of
Applied Science, as time went on they might expect
a somewhat numerous family.

Sir William Ramsay K.C.B.. D.Sc., LL.D., lF.R.S.
Bradford, Wednesday, July 15, 1903.