Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
steamer

Default Hanging parts jars

--I've reached the point where nuts, bolts, etc are so numerous that
they no longer fit in those little plastic parts jars, the ones that thread
into those red plastic caps that attach to pegboard. Nowadays I'm using
plastic quart-size jars and as the number is mounting the workbench is
shrinking!
--What I'd like to do is hang 'em beneath an existing shelf in some
way that doesn't include nailing the lid to it. Ideally I'd like to find
some extruded aluminum with a "top-hat" cross section. This way the
extrusions could be cut to length, drilled thru the middle and attached to a
shelf, spaced apart so that jar lids would slide between the horizontal
bits. So far I haven't spotted anything like this and I've been making my
own pseudo-extrusions. First time I did this by fastening strips of 1/8" x
1" aluminum to 1/2" square sections, then bolting these to the bottom of a
shelf. Now, second time around, I'm welding strips of .09" steel to 1/2"
square tube, then drilling large hole thru the sandwich and smaller hole
thru the topside so I can fasten the things to the shelf with hex head
sheetmetal screws.
--Anyway, long story short: this would be a *lot* easier with a
single extrusion that only needed to be cut to length and drilled a couple
of times. Has anyone seen anything like this? Links appreciated!

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Whatever happened
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : to Tom Nelson?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Hull

In article ,
steamer wrote:

[...]

How about just putting a small eyebolt thru the lid and hamging it on an
appropriate rod?

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Too_Many_Tools

Could you post a picture somewhere so we can see what you are
describing?

I would like to hhear what others are using for small parts storage
solutions?

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
steamer

--Plastic lids. I'm a little concerned with the material giving way
over time. Plus the current plan is to have 'em hanging from a roof truss,
i.e. I'll be walking beneath them from time to time; I'd hate to have one
fall on my head or worse, on someone visiting the shop...

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Whatever happened
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : to Tom Nelson?
http://www.nmpproducts.com/intro.htm
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Shawn

"steamer" wrote in message
[...]

These folks may have something.

http://www.8020.net/

Shawn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
BEAR

Nick Hull wrote:

In article ,
steamer wrote:

[...]

Hook... eyebolt, you'd have to slide 'em off and you couldn't support
the rod on both ends...

:- )

_-_-bear
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff Wisnia

BEAR wrote:

Nick Hull wrote:

In article ,
steamer wrote:

[...]

A typical small eyebolt transmutes into a hook if you put enough force
on it. G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
steamer

--Hmmm, very neat! Yeah, I was thinking all right angles, but I
think this might do the trick. Thanks!

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Whatever happened
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : to Tom Nelson?
http://www.nmpproducts.com/intro.htm
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

In article , steamer says...

--I've reached the point where nuts, bolts, etc are so numerous that
they no longer fit in those little plastic parts jars, the ones that thread
into those red plastic caps that attach to pegboard. Nowadays I'm using
plastic quart-size jars and as the number is mounting the workbench is
shrinking!
--What I'd like to do is hang 'em beneath an existing shelf in some
way that doesn't include nailing the lid to it. ....

As long as you don't use glass canning jars, with the lids nailed to the
wood.

My dad always thought that was the ne plus ultra of fastener storage,
so he kept (keeps) his random assortment of nuts-n-bolts in glass jars
that way.

There's nothing quite like a quart jar of screws dropping off the lid
and exploding on the concrete floor below.

Jim

please reply to:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller

On 21 Jan 2006 10:02:48 -0800, "Too_Many_Tools"
wrote:

Could you post a picture somewhere so we can see what you are
describing?

I would like to hhear what others are using for small parts storage
solutions?

TMT

I run 1x2" strapping horizontally on the open side of a stud wall such
that tobacco tins ( I used to smoke a pipe, and our secretary rolled
cigarettes for herself and spouse) rest on the strapping and tilt back
against the chipboard on the other side of the wall, three cans per
stud space. An alternate container currently available is the fibre
sided can with snap on plastic lid, from salted nuts. I my previous
shop with concrete block walls, I anchored 1x3" vertically, edge on to
the walls and ran my 1x2's across them. My boys are negotiating as to
inheritance rights on Dad's tobacco tins.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andrew VK3BFA

wrote:

[...]

Hah! - this assumes you are ORGANISED enough to have SOME sort of a
system. I have given up. Just installed my new 9 by 10 lathe, (havent
even THOUGHT about where the mill is going...) I am left with piles of
radio stuff/manuals/interesting "junque" all over the floor. (but I did
find my lost 5mm allen key, and some parts I bought YEARS ago....) OK,
now is the time to clean up - but if I put things in the filing
cabinet, thats no good - it depends on the day what category they fit
into, so its better to have books/manuals in piles on the floor -
easier to sort. Patch cables - tried doing them in categories from wall
hooks, but they well, sort of want to...get up to strange nocturnal
activities...always wind up mixed, or hiding under the bench.

And lathe stuff is so bloody BIG and HEAVY -the 4 jaw chuck is sititng
in a corner, glaring at me, along with the faceplate and the steadies.
They need to be stored carefully to prevent damage or rust, on a level
I can get to them. Plus all the hand tools I am starting to
accumulate......

And NOW, and NOW folks, I am starting to get into this metalworking
stuff - its gunna get totally out of control- its taken on a life of
its own...I am just a spectator...the seductive murmer of new tools
must be similar to heroin addiction.... just one more, you really NEED
this one....have to move, start all over again.....take to the
drink,.......see the doc, get some organising
pills....AAAARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!

believe it or not, this all started as as a simple desire to machine
some adaptors for my WW2 radio gear tuning mechanisms.... its OUT OF
CONTROL!!!!!!!

Andrew VK3BFA.

Still having a good time, despite my age. (label on a tshirt the kids
gave me, shortly before I dis-inherited them)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Hull

In article ,
steamer wrote:

--Plastic lids. I'm a little concerned with the material giving way
over time. Plus the current plan is to have 'em hanging from a roof truss,
i.e. I'll be walking beneath them from time to time; I'd hate to have one
fall on my head or worse, on someone visiting the shop...

The threads are pretty strong, use a fender washer or bigger on the
inside. If in doubt, fill the jar with lead and test.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
steamer

--Oops, took another look at it and the thickness is only .020"
which is pretty wimpy. I think, in the interest of safety, I'd want an
aluminum holder to have a thickness of maybe .125". I've googled quite a bit
but there's still nothing to write home about, heh.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Whatever happened
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : to Tom Nelson?
http://www.nmpproducts.com/intro.htm
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DE

wrote:

I would like to hhear what others are using for small parts storage
solutions?

TMT

My present answer to small parts storage is the stackable plastic
storage drawers and dedicate each drawer to whatever catagory ie
nails, screws , threaded fastners ect.

Like these:
http://www.containerstore.com/browse...1&PRODID=67291

I use cuttoff plastic soda bottles and other plastic food containers
for small quanities and bags/boxes for larger lots.

Not perfect but works good for me. Address labels keeps tabs on
contents.

Most rest on the back of an assembly bench under the overhead storage
shelves.

DE

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DanG

My dad had one that was made to work with baby food jars. IIRC it
was a hexagon about 12-16 inches wide supported on each end by its
hanging bracket. Each facet of the hexagon had the jar lids
firmly attached, about 4 or 5 lids per facet. I remember spinning
that rig around looking for "little nuts" or whatever. I decided
to make my own:

In this modern day and age, I don't think I would use glass jars
anymore. I had one of my fellas bring in baby food jars. The
lids don't screw on like the old ones, I found them totally
inappropriate and all I can see is the potential for broken glass
and tiny objects everywhere. There are quite a few foods that
come in clear plastic jars now, getting a reasonable quantity
becomes the issue. It would take a lot of peanut butter or small
units of mayonnaise or some such to keep my assortment of
miscellaneous. So I haven't ever finished the project - I had the
wood work all done.

Google solves all, though this violates the theory of making and
scrounging what is needed:
http://www.sks-bottle.com/340c/fin15.html

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"steamer" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveF

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
ps.com...
Could you post a picture somewhere so we can see what you are
describing?

I would like to hhear what others are using for small parts storage
solutions?

TMT

I've done various jars and bins, on shelves and hanging from overhead, and
decided that I REALLY like the storage units with the clear plastic drawers.
I can organize them so that all I have to do is read the label or tape a
sample to the front and it is easy to find which one I need with the next
larger or smaller right next to it. You can buy the units in different
sizes depending on how much space is needed for that item.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...958&R=112 958

Anyone want a box of RAGU and Skippy jars?

Steve.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveF

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , steamer says...

[...]

LOL

My Dad did the same thing with baby food jars nailed in nice neat rows to
boards attached to the bottom of the ceiling joists in the basement. Yep,
some exciting childhood memories when I lost my grip trying to get one down.

Steve.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Engelhardt

SteveF wrote:

...I REALLY like the storage units with the clear plastic drawers. ...
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...958&R=112 958

Those are nice size drawers & reasonable price. I would be reluctant to
buy without putting my hands on it first. Some of those are really crap
(thin, brittle plastic).

I, also, like drawers - I have a variety of forms & sizes. Drawers are
by far the most efficient use of storage space (volume).

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John

steamer wrote:

[...]

I put a shelf on the bottom of the exposed joist with a lip on the side
to hold the bottles from falling off. It was easy to see what was in
the bottles if they were full otherwise i would use magic marker on them
This was otherwise wasted space other than the round stock that got
stored up there too. This only works if you have an unfinished ceiling
in the basement.G

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Engelhardt

DanG wrote:
... baby food jars. ... a hexagon about 12-16 inches wide ... jar lids
firmly attached, about 4 or 5 lids per facet. ...

I have one like that - it was in the house when I bought it 33 years ago 8-)

I now firmly believe in drawers, so I compared them. There are 51 baby
food jars in a space 36 x 8 x 11, or 62 cu-in each. One set of plastic
drawers has 20 drawers in a 16 x 11 x 7 cabinet, or 61 cu-in each. The
same as the jars! BUT ... BUT, the drawers can be divided into 4
compartments, each of which holds as much as a jar. The jar
inefficiency is mostly a matter of needing enough space around each of
them to grasp and twist.

If the jars are free, maybe, but if you have to buy them, you might as
well buy drawers for about the same price.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
steamer

--Hey neat! Lip's a little short tho.. Will see if they have
anything else at the site.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Whatever happened
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : to Tom Nelson?
http://www.nmpproducts.com/intro.htm
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Wait

http://www.soundisolationcompany.com...n-channels.php
also called furring channel, available at drywall suppliers, probably not at
Home Desperate.
Tom
"steamer" wrote in message
--Hmmm, very neat! Yeah, I was thinking all right angles, but I
think this might do the trick. Thanks!

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Whatever happened
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : to Tom Nelson?
http://www.nmpproducts.com/intro.htm
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
steamer

--For those who asked here's a photo of how I'm storing things with
the bolt-together aluminum version: http://www.nmpproducts.com/january06.htm