Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ronpriest

Default Metal cutting bandsaw blades

Hello
This is my First post to this group so I hope I am asking in the right
place,
And do excuse me if this question has been raised before.
Can anyone help me locate a source of Metal cutting bandsaw blades in
the UK at a resonable price.
I am looking for length: 1715mm :width 1/2 inch 14TPI .I have a need to
cut some 1/2 thick
aluminium plate any advise on this would be welcome .

Cheers

Ron Priest

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington

I get my blades for the common cheapy bandsaw 4.5" as sold by
Machinemart in my case from www.jlindustrial.co.uk
http://jlindustrial.mrcx.com/ct/8ASM56/G7RK3K19/*http://www.jlindustrial.com/index.jsp?redirect=UK&cm_mmc=UK0601BB-_-17-PT25W-_-ALL-_-BottomLink
but these are 1615mm (5' 4.5"), are you sure yours is 1715mm. Apart from
that I have http://www.accurate-cutting.co.uk/blades_doall.htm
bookmarked but have not contacted them, I was looking for diamond edged
bandsaws at the time. If yours is about 1615mm (5'4.5" ) then you might
also look at warco http://www.warco.co.uk/

ronpriest wrote:

Hello
This is my First post to this group so I hope I am asking in the right
place,
And do excuse me if this question has been raised before.
Can anyone help me locate a source of Metal cutting bandsaw blades in
the UK at a resonable price.
I am looking for length: 1715mm :width 1/2 inch 14TPI .I have a need to
cut some 1/2 thick
aluminium plate any advise on this would be welcome .

Cheers

Ron Priest

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ronpriest

Yes Dave the nominal blade size is 1700mm I can get 1715mm for wood
from most
anywhere its quite a common size but cant seem to find any metal
cutting blades this size
Ive a job to do which involves cutting some 1/2 alum plate been advised
to try 6-10 TPI wood blades however I tried a brand new 14 TPI wood
blade last night this lasted for 3 or 4 straight cuts then the cut was
like spagetti junction.So i would rather get the tool for the job .The
ajustment range is not enough for 1615mm and I can see that this is a
common size for metal cutting from your web links. Think I will have to
find somewhere that will make half a dozen up for me.
Ron

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington

I would try http://www.accurate-cutting.co.uk/blades_doall.htm as that
seems to be what they do, weld blades to spec. I found them from a
search. Also I rechecked the details and the the 5' 4.5" is actually
1640 ish so must have misread somehow.

ronpriest wrote:

Yes Dave the nominal blade size is 1700mm I can get 1715mm for wood
from most
anywhere its quite a common size but cant seem to find any metal
cutting blades this size
Ive a job to do which involves cutting some 1/2 alum plate been advised
to try 6-10 TPI wood blades however I tried a brand new 14 TPI wood
blade last night this lasted for 3 or 4 straight cuts then the cut was
like spagetti junction.So i would rather get the tool for the job .The
ajustment range is not enough for 1615mm and I can see that this is a
common size for metal cutting from your web links. Think I will have to
find somewhere that will make half a dozen up for me.
Ron

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ian

Hi Ron,
I can recommend Axminster Tools in - yes, Axminster, Devon who make up
blades to length & type required. They have a branch in Kent but I
think its much smaller, however with the surname Priest I suspect you
may be in Cornwall so will use the Devon base. Axminster also welcomes
overseas customers according to the catalogue.
I get my metalworking bandsaw blades from them after having some
trouble with Sealey blades, & their blades seem to last much longer and
certainly cost less. Axminster will give you free technical advice
(for the cost of the call I guess) on 01297 33656, phone orders on
Freefone 0800 371822 or email . Their website is
www.axminster.co.uk. They will send you a superb tool & machinery
catalogue and although their range focusses on the woodworker, they
seem to be expanding their metalworking tools section.
Regards,
Ian

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ronpriest

Hello Ian
Yes I am very familiar with axminster tools and have an account there
but did not realize they made metal cutting blades up to your spec I
have recently purchased a lathe and small milling machine from them ,
and am very happy with them and have always had good service from them
in the past.
I will mail them and see what they charge.
Perhaps the answer is under my nose :-)

Cheers

Ron Priest

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ronpriest

OH by the way Ian I am in Coventry ,West Midlands

Ron Priest

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones

ronpriest wrote:

Yes Dave the nominal blade size is 1700mm I can get 1715mm for wood
from most
anywhere its quite a common size but cant seem to find any metal
cutting blades this size
Ive a job to do which involves cutting some 1/2 alum plate been advised
to try 6-10 TPI wood blades however I tried a brand new 14 TPI wood
blade last night this lasted for 3 or 4 straight cuts then the cut was
like spagetti junction.So i would rather get the tool for the job .The
ajustment range is not enough for 1615mm and I can see that this is a
common size for metal cutting from your web links. Think I will have to
find somewhere that will make half a dozen up for me.
Ron

I'd bet a nickel that those 14 tpi blades were jammed right full with
overheated aluminum as a result of being unable to clear the chips.
Makes for a poor cut.

Have you actually tried the wood blades at wood speeds? Try a 4 or 5
tpi blade running fast and see if it does not work as well for you as it
always has for me. Three teeth in the material is a great rule of thumb
to use on a gravity fed saw, but with a reasonabble person running the
saw (and not ramming the stock into the blade) the coarser pitch works
very well indeed. Have you a table saw? They work very well too.

Cheers
Trevor Jones
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ronpriest

Ned Simmons wrote:
In article . com,
says...
Yes Dave the nominal blade size is 1700mm I can get 1715mm for wood
from most
anywhere its quite a common size but cant seem to find any metal
cutting blades this size
Ive a job to do which involves cutting some 1/2 alum plate been advised
to try 6-10 TPI wood blades however I tried a brand new 14 TPI wood
blade last night this lasted for 3 or 4 straight cuts then the cut was
like spagetti junction.So i would rather get the tool for the job .

The problem is with the blade pitch, not the fact that the blade was a
wood blade. If you look at one of the blade mfrs (Lenox, Starrett,
DoAll, etc.) literature on carbon steel blades, you may find
recommendations for sawing different materials based on a blade's tooth
form and pitch, but you won't find "wood blades" or "metal blades". It
just so happens that the same hook tooth blades that work so well on
wood are also very good for aluminum. I use those same 6TPI hook tooth
blades for sawing mild steel over 3/4" or so, but at much slower speeds,
of course.

14TPI is *way* too fine for 1/2" aluminum. Trevor's remarks are right on
the money. If you're running at wood sawing speeds, a 4TPI skip tooth
will also work very nicely.

Ned Simmons

I would like to thank you all for your input on this topic
I will try the 6 TPI hooked tooth blades as soon as I can my cheap
hobby bandsaw has
only One speed and the cost of bimetal blades is rediculous around 60
usd each in the UK
Thankyou again
Ron Priest

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On 22 Jan 2006 14:12:07 -0800, "ronpriest"
wrote:

Ned Simmons wrote:
In article . com,
says...
[...]

I use a 6t, on alu, simply because I have a 250' box

Gunner

"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her tits"
John Griffin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ronpriest

You were Right the 1/2 x 0.25x6 TPI I have just purchased are working
Just great
on 1/2 Alum
will a little parrafin (Kerosine) as lubricant.
Thanks for putting me right on that :-)

Ron Priest

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hello Ron

Try Coventry University School of Engineering

Bandsaw blades 80'? HotRod Woodworking 9 January 8th 05 08:40 PM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
Back to HF for bandsaw blades Ivan Vegvary Metalworking 4 July 31st 03 08:28 PM