DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Metal cutting bandsaw blades (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/141050-metal-cutting-bandsaw-blades.html)

ronpriest January 19th 06 07:37 PM

Metal cutting bandsaw blades

Hello
This is my First post to this group so I hope I am asking in the right
place,
And do excuse me if this question has been raised before.
Can anyone help me locate a source of Metal cutting bandsaw blades in
the UK at a resonable price.
I am looking for length: 1715mm :width 1/2 inch 14TPI .I have a need to
cut some 1/2 thick
aluminium plate any advise on this would be welcome .

Cheers

Ron Priest

Ned Simmons January 19th 06 07:49 PM

Metal cutting bandsaw blades

In article .com,
says...
Hello
This is my First post to this group so I hope I am asking in the right
place,
And do excuse me if this question has been raised before.
Can anyone help me locate a source of Metal cutting bandsaw blades in
the UK at a resonable price.
I am looking for length: 1715mm :width 1/2 inch 14TPI .I have a need to
cut some 1/2 thick
aluminium plate any advise on this would be welcome .

A 6TPI hook tooth blade as used for wood will work much better. The
14TPI blade will clog very easily cutting aluminum. Run the saw around
1500-2500 FPM if you can. If the alloy you're cutting is one of the
gummier types, some stick wax applied to the blade will prevent the
chips sticking to the blade and improve surface finish.

Here in the states most any small city will have a "saw shop" that will
weld blades to any length from roll stock. The blade you described would
run less than $10.

Ned Simmons

machineman January 19th 06 08:02 PM

Metal cutting bandsaw blades

I concur on that, I bought some metal cutting blades for my wood saw,
but I could only get the speed down to around 700fpm. I found the 6tpi
wood blade that came with the saw cut cooler and just as well as the
bimetal m42 I got for cutting metal.

David Billington January 19th 06 08:53 PM

Metal cutting bandsaw blades

I get my blades for the common cheapy bandsaw 4.5" as sold by
Machinemart in my case from www.jlindustrial.co.uk
http://jlindustrial.mrcx.com/ct/8ASM56/G7RK3K19/*http://www.jlindustrial.com/index.jsp?redirect=UK&cm_mmc=UK0601BB-_-17-PT25W-_-ALL-_-BottomLink
but these are 1615mm (5' 4.5"), are you sure yours is 1715mm. Apart from
that I have http://www.accurate-cutting.co.uk/blades_doall.htm
bookmarked but have not contacted them, I was looking for diamond edged
bandsaws at the time. If yours is about 1615mm (5'4.5" ) then you might
also look at warco http://www.warco.co.uk/

ronpriest January 19th 06 09:51 PM

Metal cutting bandsaw blades

Yes Dave the nominal blade size is 1700mm I can get 1715mm for wood
from most
anywhere its quite a common size but cant seem to find any metal
cutting blades this size
Ive a job to do which involves cutting some 1/2 alum plate been advised
to try 6-10 TPI wood blades however I tried a brand new 14 TPI wood
blade last night this lasted for 3 or 4 straight cuts then the cut was
like spagetti junction.So i would rather get the tool for the job .The
ajustment range is not enough for 1615mm and I can see that this is a
common size for metal cutting from your web links. Think I will have to
find somewhere that will make half a dozen up for me.
Ron

David Billington January 19th 06 10:07 PM

Metal cutting bandsaw blades

I would try http://www.accurate-cutting.co.uk/blades_doall.htm as that
seems to be what they do, weld blades to spec. I found them from a
search. Also I rechecked the details and the the 5' 4.5" is actually
1640 ish so must have misread somehow.

Ian January 19th 06 10:33 PM

Metal cutting bandsaw blades

Hi Ron,
I can recommend Axminster Tools in - yes, Axminster, Devon who make up
blades to length & type required. They have a branch in Kent but I
think its much smaller, however with the surname Priest I suspect you
may be in Cornwall so will use the Devon base. Axminster also welcomes
overseas customers according to the catalogue.
I get my metalworking bandsaw blades from them after having some
trouble with Sealey blades, & their blades seem to last much longer and
certainly cost less. Axminster will give you free technical advice
(for the cost of the call I guess) on 01297 33656, phone orders on
Freefone 0800 371822 or email . Their website is
www.axminster.co.uk. They will send you a superb tool & machinery
catalogue and although their range focusses on the woodworker, they
seem to be expanding their metalworking tools section.
Regards,
Ian

ronpriest January 19th 06 11:25 PM

Metal cutting bandsaw blades

Hello Ian
Yes I am very familiar with axminster tools and have an account there
but did not realize they made metal cutting blades up to your spec I
have recently purchased a lathe and small milling machine from them ,
and am very happy with them and have always had good service from them
in the past.
I will mail them and see what they charge.
Perhaps the answer is under my nose :-)

Cheers

Ron Priest

ronpriest January 19th 06 11:48 PM

Metal cutting bandsaw blades

OH by the way Ian I am in Coventry ,West Midlands

Ron Priest

Trevor Jones January 20th 06 12:15 AM

ronpriest wrote:

Yes Dave the nominal blade size is 1700mm I can get 1715mm for wood
from most
anywhere its quite a common size but cant seem to find any metal
cutting blades this size
Ive a job to do which involves cutting some 1/2 alum plate been advised
to try 6-10 TPI wood blades however I tried a brand new 14 TPI wood
blade last night this lasted for 3 or 4 straight cuts then the cut was
like spagetti junction.So i would rather get the tool for the job .The
ajustment range is not enough for 1615mm and I can see that this is a
common size for metal cutting from your web links. Think I will have to
find somewhere that will make half a dozen up for me.
Ron

I'd bet a nickel that those 14 tpi blades were jammed right full with
overheated aluminum as a result of being unable to clear the chips.
Makes for a poor cut.

Have you actually tried the wood blades at wood speeds? Try a 4 or 5
tpi blade running fast and see if it does not work as well for you as it
always has for me. Three teeth in the material is a great rule of thumb
to use on a gravity fed saw, but with a reasonabble person running the
saw (and not ramming the stock into the blade) the coarser pitch works
very well indeed. Have you a table saw? They work very well too.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Ned Simmons January 20th 06 04:16 AM

Metal cutting bandsaw blades

In article . com,
says...
Yes Dave the nominal blade size is 1700mm I can get 1715mm for wood
from most
anywhere its quite a common size but cant seem to find any metal
cutting blades this size
Ive a job to do which involves cutting some 1/2 alum plate been advised
to try 6-10 TPI wood blades however I tried a brand new 14 TPI wood
blade last night this lasted for 3 or 4 straight cuts then the cut was
like spagetti junction.So i would rather get the tool for the job .

The problem is with the blade pitch, not the fact that the blade was a
wood blade. If you look at one of the blade mfrs (Lenox, Starrett,
DoAll, etc.) literature on carbon steel blades, you may find
recommendations for sawing different materials based on a blade's tooth
form and pitch, but you won't find "wood blades" or "metal blades". It
just so happens that the same hook tooth blades that work so well on
wood are also very good for aluminum. I use those same 6TPI hook tooth
blades for sawing mild steel over 3/4" or so, but at much slower speeds,
of course.

14TPI is *way* too fine for 1/2" aluminum. Trevor's remarks are right on
the money. If you're running at wood sawing speeds, a 4TPI skip tooth
will also work very nicely.

Ned Simmons

ronpriest January 22nd 06 10:12 PM

Metal cutting bandsaw blades

Ned Simmons wrote:
In article . com,
says...

ronpriest January 22nd 06 10:19 PM

Metal cutting bandsaw blades

Ned Simmons wrote:
In article . com,
says...
[...]

I would like to thank you all for your input on this topic
I will try the 6 TPI hooked tooth blades as soon as I can my cheap
hobby bandsaw has
only One speed and the cost of bimetal blades is rediculous around 60
usd each in the UK
Thankyou again
Ron Priest

Gunner January 22nd 06 11:30 PM

Metal cutting bandsaw blades

On 22 Jan 2006 14:12:07 -0800, "ronpriest"
wrote:

Ned Simmons wrote:
In article . com,
says...
[...]

I use a 6t, on alu, simply because I have a 250' box

Gunner

"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her tits"
John Griffin

ronpriest January 30th 06 09:45 PM

Metal cutting bandsaw blades

You were Right the 1/2 x 0.25x6 TPI I have just purchased are working
Just great
on 1/2 Alum
will a little parrafin (Kerosine) as lubricant.
Thanks for putting me right on that :-)

Ron Priest

[email protected] February 8th 06 03:30 PM

Metal cutting bandsaw blades

Hello Ron

Try Coventry University School of Engineering