filister

Default Lathe indexable tool holders

Hello, I have been looking to purchase indexable tool holders for use with
my 14X40 lathe. The selection is quite vast and am hoping that someone may
suggest what manufacturer and types would be good for a home shop starter
set.

Thanks for any advice

Jon Elson

filister wrote:
Hello, I have been looking to purchase indexable tool holders for use with
my 14X40 lathe. The selection is quite vast and am hoping that someone may
suggest what manufacturer and types would be good for a home shop starter
set.

If Enco still has their 3/8" indexable set, that's what I have, and it
works quite well for the kind of stuff I do. If you do a lot of heavy
stock removal on steel, you might go for the 1/2" set, instead.

Jon

Ted Edwards

filister wrote:

Hello, I have been looking to purchase indexable tool holders for use with
my 14X40 lathe.

Although it sounds like your machine is a lot heavier duty than mine,
you might get some ideas from my design.

http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/toolholder/toolholder.html

Ted

Paul T.

You need to get holders that use postive rake, take a look at
http://www.thegallos.com/carbide.htm for some good background on this.

I like to get cutting tools that all use the same insert, and an insert
that's widely available and inexpensive.
I have well made cutting tools from Valenite that use the popular TPG-221
and 222 inserts.
I bought them from MSC so if you dig around in their catalog you'll find
them.
APT makes some additional tooling such as boring bars that also use these
TPG inserts.

I like the Valenite tools because the clamping system is sturdy and well
made and replacement parts are easily available.

I really dislike the cheapo tools from Enco and others that use the inserts
that have a small screw through the middle holding them, they are
troublesome and I would stay away from them.

The link above mentions tools from Microdex that also sound pretty good.

Good luck-

Paul T.

Ted Edwards

Paul T. wrote:

You need to get holders that use postive rake, take a look at
http://www.thegallos.com/carbide.htm for some good background on this.

http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/toolholder/toolholder.html

I have been using these for several years now with no problems except
when I did something really stupid.

Ted

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Jon Elson wrote:

filister wrote:
Hello, I have been looking to purchase indexable tool holders for use with
my 14X40 lathe. The selection is quite vast and am hoping that someone may
suggest what manufacturer and types would be good for a home shop starter
set.

If Enco still has their 3/8" indexable set, that's what I have, and it
works quite well for the kind of stuff I do. If you do a lot of heavy
stock removal on steel, you might go for the 1/2" set, instead.

To my mind, with that size of lathe, you would want at least
5/8" shanks on the tooling, and perhaps more if your toolpost can handle
it. The fatter the shank, the less likely that the shank will
contribute to chatter. If I could handle a CXA toolpost size, I would
opt for 3/4" shanks instead.

I like the Valenite insert tool shanks, with negative rake, and
the TPCN (IIRC -- it is too late to go down to the shop and check, now)
Triangular, Positive rake with the aid of a special chipbreaker groove.

Iscar makes a similar quality shank which will accept the same
inserts.

Note that you can sometimes get the inserts for little money in
large quantities (e.g. 100 at a time) from eBay auctions. This makes
the extra money spent on a good Valenite insert shank to be well worth
it. The cheap sets with 1/2" or smaller shanks have too thin a
positive-rake insert, and it breaks easily under heavy cutting. And the
cost of the inserts in that size (not an industry standard -- for good
reason) will make up for the additional cost of good insert shanks in not
too long a time.

But what I *really* like for most work these days is an Aloris
holder for their quick-change toolpost which accepts the inserts
directly. I'm using a model 16N (the 'N' for negative rake), which
holds two inserts -- one in the right position for turning, and the
other in the right position for facing. I'm using this on a Phase-II
wedge style toolpost -- series 200 (BXA size equivalent).

Ted will show up with his web page telling you how to make your
own as he does. (His may already be one of the articles out there which
I have not yet read. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Ted Edwards

DoN. Nichols wrote:

I like the Valenite insert tool shanks, with negative rake, and
the TPCN (IIRC -- it is too late to go down to the shop and check, now)
Triangular, Positive rake with the aid of a special chipbreaker groove.

I don't know the TPCN. Is it anything like the TNMP? Who handles them?

Ted

Phil Teague

"filister" wrote in message news:PQxLb.26222$ti2.24743@lakeread03...
Hello, I have been looking to purchase indexable tool holders for use with
my 14X40 lathe. The selection is quite vast and am hoping that someone may
suggest what manufacturer and types would be good for a home shop starter
set.

Thanks for any advice

I bought a set of these indexable toolholders from JTS on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=63 3
For $17.95 plus $6 shipping it is hard to beat. One thing that makes
them a particularly good deal is that five inserts are included. The
tools are nicely finished and they include 5 extra screws which are
well made. I have an older set of 3/8" toolholders from Enco which are
OK (I still use them), but Enco's set does not include the inserts. I
rate the ones from JTS as much better made. I can take .250" off a CRS
round so I guess the 1/2" toolholder should probably be large enough
for my 12 x 36 lathe.
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Ted Edwards wrote:
DoN. Nichols wrote:

I like the Valenite insert tool shanks, with negative rake, and
the TPCN (IIRC -- it is too late to go down to the shop and check, now)
Triangular, Positive rake with the aid of a special chipbreaker groove.

I don't know the TPCN. Is it anything like the TNMP? Who handles them?

O.K. I finally got time to go down to the shop and check.
They are TNMG. Now -- why did I mis-remember the designator that badly.

Anyway -- it should be just a chipbreaker groove, but it behaves
nicely on my 12x24" Clausing, which suggest the either it is working as
a positive rake modification, or that the Clausing is rigid enough to
handle negative rake tools. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Ted Edwards

DoN. Nichols wrote:

O.K. I finally got time to go down to the shop and check.
They are TNMG. Now -- why did I mis-remember the designator that badly.

Thanks, Don.

Anyway -- it should be just a chipbreaker groove, but it behaves
nicely on my 12x24" Clausing, which suggest the either it is working as
a positive rake modification, or that the Clausing is rigid enough to
handle negative rake tools. :-)

Probably the later. :-) Get a hold of a TNMP and compare it to the TNMG
with a magnifier (or, if you wish, I could e-mail you a close up photo
of the two side-by-side.) You will find that the "chip-breaker" groove
of the TNMG goes _almost_ to the edge leaving a narrow flat to produce a
right angle edge and thus negative rake. The groove in a TNMP goes
right out to the edge to produce an eighty degree angle. When the TNMP
is angled down 5 degrees, it still has 5 degrees _positive_ rake.

Ted

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Ted Edwards wrote:
DoN. Nichols wrote:

O.K. I finally got time to go down to the shop and check.
They are TNMG. Now -- why did I mis-remember the designator that badly.

Thanks, Don.

Anyway -- it should be just a chipbreaker groove, but it behaves
nicely on my 12x24" Clausing, which suggest the either it is working as
a positive rake modification, or that the Clausing is rigid enough to
handle negative rake tools. :-)

Probably the later. :-) Get a hold of a TNMP and compare it to the TNMG
with a magnifier (or, if you wish, I could e-mail you a close up photo
of the two side-by-side.) You will find that the "chip-breaker" groove
of the TNMG goes _almost_ to the edge leaving a narrow flat to produce a
right angle edge and thus negative rake.

I don't have the TNMP available to examine, but the TNMG does
have the slight flat. But with a heavy cut, it is ripping the metal
apart wide enough so it doesn't touch where the edge would be, anyway,
and thus is acting as a positive rake tool to all effects. (Granted,
you have to be able to take that heavy a cut. :-)

The groove in a TNMP goes
right out to the edge to produce an eighty degree angle. When the TNMP
is angled down 5 degrees, it still has 5 degrees _positive_ rake.

O.K. Are these coated or uncoated inserts? If coated, how much
does that dull the edge?

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Ted Edwards

DoN. Nichols wrote:

O.K. Are these coated or uncoated inserts? If coated, how much
does that dull the edge?

They're available both ways. As you suggest the coating significantly
dulls the edge. I made the mistake of ordering some. Won't do that
again. As you know, I'm using a comapatively light machine so cuts that
would use a TNMG as positive rake just aren't on.

Ted