Pal

Default "swing over bed" Definition

Is this the Maximum diameter a Lathe can turn?

So if I measure 3" from the spindle center to the bed rail then the
"swing over bed" would be 6"?

Thanks in advance

Cliff Knight

Correct, "swing" in machine tool talk is radius (like a swing hanging from a
tree). "Swing over carriage" is another important measurement, on some
lathes the carriage gobbles up a lot of swing.

"Pal" wrote in message
Is this the Maximum diameter a Lathe can turn?

So if I measure 3" from the spindle center to the bed rail then the
"swing over bed" would be 6"?

Thanks in advance

jim rozen

In article Yt_Jb.283515$_M.1418653@attbi_s54, Pal says...

Is this the Maximum diameter a Lathe can turn?

So if I measure 3" from the spindle center to the bed rail then the
"swing over bed" would be 6"?

In the US. In europe that would be a 3" swing.

Note this is over the *bed*, not over the
carriage. It's the absolutely biggest thing
that could be swung, between centers, in the
lathe, with everything else out of the way.
Useful for comparison sake.

Jim

please reply to:

Leo Lichtman

Cliff Knight wrote: Correct, "swing" in machine tool talk is radius (like
a swing hanging from a tree.(CLIP)
^^^^^^^^^^^
Cliff, too bad you didn't stop right after the word "correct." Pal had it
right, so "correct" is correct. But swing is not a radius. The radius of
the maximum size his lathe will turn is 3"--the swing is 6", the DIAMETER.
The illustration of a swing hanging from a tree merely adds to the error of
calling the radius the swing.

Ed Huntress

"Pal" wrote in message
Is this the Maximum diameter a Lathe can turn?

So if I measure 3" from the spindle center to the bed rail then the
"swing over bed" would be 6"?

Yes. In the US. In the UK, the swing would be 3 inches.

We go by diameter in the US, and they go by radius in the UK.

Ed Huntress

Dave Young

Not to confuse things, but if I understand correctly, in England
they use the radius as the swing. In other words, in the original post
it would be a 3" swing (in the States it would be a 6" swing)......

Robin S.

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

Yes. In the US. In the UK, the swing would be 3 inches.

Well, if you want to get specific, wouldn't it be a 75mm swing in the UK?

Regards,

Robin

Gary Coffman

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 00:06:46 GMT, Dave Young wrote:
Not to confuse things, but if I understand correctly, in England
they use the radius as the swing. In other words, in the original post
it would be a 3" swing (in the States it would be a 6" swing)......

Right. Americans are lazy. It is easier to state the largest diameter
piece that can be turned rather than requiring the worker to divide
by 2 (or multiply by 2) to find out if a piece of stock will fit. Doing
the math (and decisions which one to multiply or divide), much too
hard. :-)

Gary
Ed Huntress

"Robin S." wrote in message
.. .

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

Yes. In the US. In the UK, the swing would be 3 inches.

Well, if you want to get specific, wouldn't it be a 75mm swing in the UK?

Not if it's an old lathe. g

Ed Huntress

jim rozen

In article , Gary Coffman says...

Right. Americans are lazy. It is easier to state the largest diameter
piece that can be turned rather than requiring the worker to divide
by 2 (or multiply by 2) to find out if a piece of stock will fit. Doing
the math (and decisions which one to multiply or divide), much too
hard. :-)

Yep. We're too busy drinking beer.

*Cold* beer.

From refrigerators that actually work.

If all I had to look forward to at the
end of the day was a warm beer in a house
with no central heating, I wouldn't be in
a hurry to get home either. I sure would
be dithering along, doing odd sums and
long division by hand in the shop...

Jim

please reply to:

Eric Lauritsen

Robin S. wrote:
"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

Yes. In the US. In the UK, the swing would be 3 inches.

Well, if you want to get specific, wouldn't it be a 75mm swing in the UK?

Regards,

Robin

Should it not be 76.2mm?

Cheers

Eric

Udie

The last time I looked, English lathes are defined by centre height. They
don't refer to it as the swing.

Steve R.

"Dave Young" wrote in message
Not to confuse things, but if I understand correctly, in England
they use the radius as the swing. In other words, in the original post
it would be a 3" swing (in the States it would be a 6" swing)......

Dave Young

Anyone know when the UK converted to metric?

Roy J

Hey, give the Brits credit for making a beer good enough to drink
when it's only 62 or 52 degrees! Now if we could only get them to
fix food other than BOILED.

Cheers.

jim rozen wrote:

In article , Gary Coffman says...

Right. Americans are lazy. It is easier to state the largest diameter
piece that can be turned rather than requiring the worker to divide
by 2 (or multiply by 2) to find out if a piece of stock will fit. Doing
the math (and decisions which one to multiply or divide), much too
hard. :-)

Yep. We're too busy drinking beer.

*Cold* beer.

From refrigerators that actually work.

If all I had to look forward to at the
end of the day was a warm beer in a house
with no central heating, I wouldn't be in
a hurry to get home either. I sure would
be dithering along, doing odd sums and
long division by hand in the shop...

Jim

please reply to:

jim rozen

In article , Roy J says...

Hey, give the Brits credit for making a beer good enough to drink
when it's only 62 or 52 degrees! Now if we could only get them to
fix food other than BOILED.

Heh. Yet another reason to just stay at the
darn shop and do square roots by hand instead
of going home.

Jim

please reply to:

Roy

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 20:13:44 GMT, "Pal" wrote:

===Is this the Maximum diameter a Lathe can turn?
===
===So if I measure 3" from the spindle center to the bed rail then the
==="swing over bed" would be 6"?
===
===
===Thanks in advance
===

Thats what I have always been told. Does not necesarily mean you can
do anything with it once you swing the max though. I ran into that
with my 13 inch JET with gap that supposedly allows swing of up to 22
inches. I can face things up to a certain point on the 22 inch diam
but working on the circumference edge is not possible without jumping
through a lot of hoops and making special tooling etc for access. The
cross slide does not retract far enough to allow proper or should I
say decent access to the circumferance of the parts your turning, ot
to get within 3 1/2" of the part during facing due to the extended
castings of the apron .

My max swing is 13" and if there was one layer more paint on my apron
it would have scrubbed it when I swung a 13" diam wheel.

I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Boris Beizer

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

Cliff Knight wrote: Correct, "swing" in machine tool talk is radius

(like
a swing hanging from a tree.(CLIP)
^^^^^^^^^^^
Cliff, too bad you didn't stop right after the word "correct." Pal had it
right, so "correct" is correct. But swing is not a radius. The radius of
the maximum size his lathe will turn is 3"--the swing is 6", the DIAMETER.
The illustration of a swing hanging from a tree merely adds to the error

of
calling the radius the swing.

Might as well get in this perennial semantic free-for-all. Actually,
American lathes (and perhaps British) aren't all that consistent -- or at
least, were not in the past. For some American lathes, the swing is the
biggest diameter that can be turned. For others, it is the twice the
distance from the center to a line drawn across the ways. For example, my
12" clausing, can actually turn something 12.75" in diameter (but not over
the saddle). I've seen other, older, American lathes that understated their
"swing." To add to the confusion, most gap-bed lathes can turn something
significantly bigger than their "swing." Does any one have even more
confusion to add to the discussion?

Boris

--

-------------------------------------
Boris Beizer Ph.D. Seminars and Consulting

TEL: 215-572-5580
FAX: 215-886-0144
Email

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, 4 January 2004 at 22:39:09 UTC, Leo Lichtman wrote:
Cliff Knight wrote: Correct, "swing" in machine tool talk is radius (like
a swing hanging from a tree.(CLIP)
^^^^^^^^^^^
Cliff, too bad you didn't stop right after the word "correct." Pal had it
right, so "correct" is correct. But swing is not a radius. The radius of
the maximum size his lathe will turn is 3"--the swing is 6", the DIAMETER.
The illustration of a swing hanging from a tree merely adds to the error of
calling the radius the swing.

'Swing' is the radius, not diameter. Think of how long a pendulum would be swinging from the spindle. Same wrt crank length on a crankshaft.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"pmailkeey" wrote in message

On Sunday, 4 January 2004 at 22:39:09 UTC, Leo Lichtman wrote:
Cliff Knight wrote: Correct, "swing" in machine tool talk is radius (like
a swing hanging from a tree.(CLIP)
^^^^^^^^^^^
Cliff, too bad you didn't stop right after the word "correct." Pal had it
right, so "correct" is correct. But swing is not a radius. The radius of
the maximum size his lathe will turn is 3"--the swing is 6", the DIAMETER.
The illustration of a swing hanging from a tree merely adds to the error
of
calling the radius the swing.

'Swing' is the radius, not diameter. Think of how long a pendulum would be
swinging from the spindle. Same wrt crank length on a crankshaft.

==================================

https://ozarktoolmanuals.com/ozarksh...r-metal-lathe/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
"pmailkeey" wrote in message

On Sunday, 4 January 2004 at 22:39:09 UTC, Leo Lichtman wrote:
Cliff Knight wrote: Correct, "swing" in machine tool talk is radius (like
a swing hanging from a tree.(CLIP)
^^^^^^^^^^^
Cliff, too bad you didn't stop right after the word "correct." Pal had it
right, so "correct" is correct. But swing is not a radius. The radius of
the maximum size his lathe will turn is 3"--the swing is 6", the DIAMETER.
The illustration of a swing hanging from a tree merely adds to the error
of
calling the radius the swing.

'Swing' is the radius, not diameter. Think of how long a pendulum would be
swinging from the spindle. Same wrt crank length on a crankshaft.

==================================

https://ozarktoolmanuals.com/ozarksh...r-metal-lathe/

Just don't forget that there is swing over bed and swing over carriage,
which are usually VERY different. On a wood lathe you get more room
because there is no carriage in the way. So be sure to ask which swing
you are talking about on a metal lathe. A machine that can swing 20"
over the bed but only 16" over the carriage isn't going to work to turn
that 18" chunk of steel.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 26 Aug 2020 16:02:35 -0700 (PDT), pmailkeey
wrote:

On Sunday, 4 January 2004 at 22:39:09 UTC, Leo Lichtman wrote:
Cliff Knight wrote: Correct, "swing" in machine tool talk is radius (like
a swing hanging from a tree.(CLIP)
^^^^^^^^^^^
Cliff, too bad you didn't stop right after the word "correct." Pal had it
right, so "correct" is correct. But swing is not a radius. The radius of
the maximum size his lathe will turn is 3"--the swing is 6", the DIAMETER.
The illustration of a swing hanging from a tree merely adds to the error of
calling the radius the swing.

'Swing' is the radius, not diameter. Think of how long a pendulum would be swinging from the spindle. Same wrt crank length on a crankshaft.

In the US, swing of a lathe is the diameter of the largest workpiece.
I gather that in at least parts of Europe, the swing is the maximum
radius, half the diameter. I don't know which definition is used in
the UK.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, August 27, 2020 at 12:31:45 PM UTC-4, Steve W. wrote:
Jim Wilkins wrote:
"pmailkeey" wrote in message

[...]

Some time ago we had a job to turn a 20 inch by 6 foot chunk of steel on a Monarch lathe with 18.5 inch over the carriage. The first cut was 1 inch deep to get to 18 inch diameter to go over the carriage. The chip was about 100 feet long before the operator broke it deliberately, deep and slow pass but it worked perfectly.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/28/2020 7:09 PM, Phil Kangas wrote:
A 20" dia piece needs 10" of clearance. 18" dia needs 9" of

clearance. 18.5" over the carriage will handle a 37" diameter!
Let's get it right, guys. :) phil k.

The 18.5" is the diameter over the carriage.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Phil Kangas" wrote in message ...

A 20" dia piece needs 10" of clearance. 18" dia needs 9" of
clearance. 18.5" over the carriage will handle a 37"
diameter!
Let's get it right, guys. :) phil k.

Also don't forget to have the carriage at the starting position BEFORE

I sometimes forget to check for full carriage travel before threading a
short piece between centers, where the tailstock and live center bearing
intrude.

I haven't run the carriage into chuck jaws but the trade school students who
used the lathe before me obviously did, many times. I bought new chucks. The
micrometer carriage stop makes a good safety barrier near the chuck though I
use collets or small 3/4/6 jaw chucks on 5C mounts if possible.