DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Two Jaw Lathe Chuck???? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/13863-two-jaw-lathe-chuck.html)

MP Toolman January 2nd 04 04:24 AM

Two Jaw Lathe Chuck????

What is the application of a 2 jaw self centering lathe chuck? I understand 3,
4, & 6 jaw chucks, but 2 jaw is not intuitive to me.

Thanks,
Mill

Harold & Susan Vordos January 2nd 04 04:35 AM

Two Jaw Lathe Chuck????

"MP Toolman" wrote in message
What is the application of a 2 jaw self centering lathe chuck? I

understand 3,
4, & 6 jaw chucks, but 2 jaw is not intuitive to me.

Thanks,
Mill

They are quite useful for holding square objects, with 90 degree sections in
the jaws, plus other irregular objects, along with round ones. They may
not grip as well as three or four jaw chucks in some instances, but they are
a nice addition to one's lathe accessories, although not too commonly found.

Harold

Nick Hull January 2nd 04 10:53 AM

Two Jaw Lathe Chuck????

In article ,
(MP Toolman) wrote:

What is the application of a 2 jaw self centering lathe chuck? I understand
3,
4, & 6 jaw chucks, but 2 jaw is not intuitive to me.

Thanks,
Mill

You machine the jaws to fit special projects (soft jaws).

--
free men own guns - slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

Ian Stirling January 2nd 04 10:55 AM

Two Jaw Lathe Chuck????

MP Toolman wrote:
What is the application of a 2 jaw self centering lathe chuck? I understand 3,
4, & 6 jaw chucks, but 2 jaw is not intuitive to me.

I'd suppose that it's simply cheaper to make, and more or less
adequate for holding round or square stock.

mrbill2 January 2nd 04 12:11 PM

Two Jaw Lathe Chuck????

Well, let me see. Now the wife wants to know, "what do you need with that
thing"? I could never explain is to my wife either, that's why I sold it to
you.
Happy New Year
Mr Bill