Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.survivalism
Guido

Default OT - Stella

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 00:49:38 -0000, "tg"
wrote:

"Guido" wrote in message ...
On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 15:16:41 -0800, Stuart Grey
wrote:

That it happened in a drive thru compounds the injury as McDonald's
ought to have been aware that the manipulation of a coffee container
in a vehicle is more likely to cause a spillage then in other
situations. IOW McDonald's could anticipate the risk.

what utter bull****.
If I give you a cup of hot coffee and then you decide to put it in your lap and drive off then I'm not going to take any blame if
you spill it while you're driving. The slightest thought that I should be responsible is insanity.

Of course its your fault particularly if your business is to serve
coffee to people that are going to be driving away in a car. You are
selling a product which is likely to cause damage if spilt, in a
situation where it is highly likely to spill.

Personally I find coffee in fast food outlets to be far too hot to
drink. In cafes, bars, tearooms you can order a coffee and drink it
with in a reasonable time frame. The stuff you get in McDonalds is at
an undrinkable temperature for ages. Some 15-20 years ago it was too
hot to ever drink during the time it took to eat the burger, read the
paper, and get bored with the morons.
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.survivalism
J. Clarke

TDKozan wrote:

J. Clarke wrote:
Jeff McCann wrote:

"Cliff" wrote in message

snip &c, &c, &c. . .

May I ask a favor?

When we're all wasting our time with one of Cliffie's multi-group
trolls to the usual suspects, would you mind not changing the
follow-ups? It makes it easier to figure out who said what and follow
the conversation when we're not all hanging out in a.m.c.

Unfortunately knode insists on setting the follow-ups to the first group in
the list unless there is one already set or I explicitly clear the line,
and if there's a way to turn that off it's not documented. Forgive me for
not noticing.

TIA,

TK

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.survivalism
J. Clarke

Guido wrote:

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 00:49:38 -0000, "tg"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

That it happened in a drive thru compounds the injury as McDonald's
ought to have been aware that the manipulation of a coffee container
in a vehicle is more likely to cause a spillage then in other
situations. IOW McDonald's could anticipate the risk.

what utter bull****.
If I give you a cup of hot coffee and then you decide to put it in your
lap and drive off then I'm not going to take any blame if you spill it
while you're driving. The slightest thought that I should be responsible
is insanity.

Of course its your fault particularly if your business is to serve
coffee to people that are going to be driving away in a car. You are
selling a product which is likely to cause damage if spilt, in a
situation where it is highly likely to spill.

So tell us what procedure they should follow. Should they add ice to every
cup of coffee or should they chill it when it comes out of the filter or
should they simply brew it at room temperature?

Personally I find coffee in fast food outlets to be far too hot to
drink. In cafes, bars, tearooms you can order a coffee and drink it
with in a reasonable time frame. The stuff you get in McDonalds is at
an undrinkable temperature for ages. Some 15-20 years ago it was too
hot to ever drink during the time it took to eat the burger, read the
paper, and get bored with the morons.

And you believe that that has changed?

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.survivalism
Cliff

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 06:10:07 +1300, KewlKiwi
wrote:

And this is what can happen when Americans drive in countries like
Australia/UK/New Zealand and 'forget' which side to drive on.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/images/v...oundabout3.jpg
http://www.roundabout.net/DIBcounterflow.html

Then there's that one sign in downtown Melbourne .... "Left turn
from right lane only" IIRC.
--
Cliff
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Cliff

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 16:45:13 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

As for BK and McDonalds, every McDonalds I've been in uses one or more
Bunn-O-Matic automatic drip machines

CLUE: McDonalds had altered theirs to produce hotter coffee
in the cup.
--
Cliff

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Cliff

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 16:45:13 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Stella's lawsuit was claiming 180 in the carafe,
which translates to 170-175 in the cup,

"McDonald's quality control managers specified that its coffee
should be served at 180-190 degrees Fahrenheit."

"Other establishments sell coffee at substantially lower
temperatures, and coffee served at home is generally 135 to 140
degrees."
--
Cliff
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.survivalism

KewlKiwi wrote:
Cliff wrote:
On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 00:45:45 GMT, Lew Hartswick
wrote:

Cliff wrote:

On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 20:59:34 GMT, zadoc wrote:

As I mentioned in an earlier post, Australia can be a pretty hazardous
country.

Been there. I agree.
Far too many drive on the wrong side of the road.

Cliffy you finally got a good one .

When I got back I found myself doing it too.
Briefly. Good thing the road was deserted.

And this is what can happen when Americans drive in countries like
Australia/UK/New Zealand and 'forget' which side to drive on.

These guys were hurrying to get to a meeting, their religion didn't save
them - or the innocent NZ'er in the other car...

We seem to get a lot of this in New Zealand - tourists who forget to
drive on the left, to the extent that you will see arrows painted on the
road in the left-hand lane just after intersections, picnic stops etc.

Bob

A friend of mine went to Ireland a while back and said he was doing ok
until the rain started. As he was driving with his wipers on, on a
country lane about 1 1/2 vehicles wide a car came over a hill directly
in front of him...and he turned quickly toward the side. Guess in what
direction... Oops.

He was told, when he was brought before the magistrate, it's quite a
common occurance.

dennis
in nca

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.survivalism
Cliff

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 11:45:10 +0100, Jan Nielsen
wrote:

It was dark and stormy night....

http://www.bulwer-lytton.com/
[
"It was a dark and stormy night; the rain fell in torrents--except at
occasional intervals, when it was checked by a violent gust of wind
which swept up the streets (for it is in London that our scene lies),
rattling along the housetops, and fiercely agitating the scanty flame
of the lamps that struggled against the darkness."
]

The Bulwer-Lytton fiction contest ....
--
Cliff
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.survivalism
gfulton

"Jan Nielsen" wrote in message
On 8 Jan 2006 11:08:22 -0800, wrote:

A friend of mine went to Ireland a while back and said he was doing ok
until the rain started. As he was driving with his wipers on, on a
country lane about 1 1/2 vehicles wide a car came over a hill directly
in front of him...and he turned quickly toward the side. Guess in what
direction... Oops.

It was dark and stormy night.... in England, many years ago. I was
driving,
trying not to lose sight of our host who was leading (and going *fast*)
As I
was going into a right turn onto a small side road, a car came against us
from
the small road, without stopping. For a split second I fought with an
instinctive urge to keep to the right of the oncoming car - luckily I
didn't
give in!

My drowsing passengers was wide awake after that experience. g
--
- JN -

It works both ways. When I worked in Saudi Arabia back in the '70's, women
weren't allowed to drive. (Still aren't). As a favor to a doctor friend,
I'd drive his wife down to the souk, (marketplace), quite a bit. She
constantly let out a scream whenever I pulled into traffic, until the half
second it took her to realize I actually was going the right way. They
drive on the left there, and she was British. Made me a nervous wreck every
trip, that woman, and took her a long time to get used to the traffic.
Figured out after a while that her little screams were why the doc got me to
do the trip.

Garrett Fulton

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.survivalism
Guido

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 08:35:44 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

The roundabouts. It's the roundabouts that will get you. I panic every time
I enter a roundabout in the UK.

Wimp!
http://www.swindonweb.com/life/lifemagi0.htm

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.survivalism
Glenn Ashmore

"Ed Huntress" wrote

The roundabouts. It's the roundabouts that will get you. I panic every
time
I enter a roundabout in the UK.

I adapt to the left side fairly easily. It is when I get back to the US
after a week or two driving on the wrong side that I can become really
dangerous. I get this overwhelming urge to swing wide on a right turn.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.survivalism
Ed Huntress

wrote:

The roundabouts. It's the roundabouts that will get you. I panic every

time
I enter a roundabout in the UK.

Wimp!
http://www.swindonweb.com/life/lifemagi0.htm

Holy cripes. The centrifugal force from that thing, alone, will send you
into low-Earth orbit.

New Jersey still has lots of old circles (roundabouts). Drivers from
Pennsylvania panic when they enter one. Imagine what it's like if you aren't
sure which way you should be going in the first place.

I'd like to get you on the circle in Clark, NJ. Heh, heh...you'd probably
climb a telephone pole. g

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.survivalism
Ed Huntress

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote

The roundabouts. It's the roundabouts that will get you. I panic every
time
I enter a roundabout in the UK.

I adapt to the left side fairly easily. It is when I get back to the US
after a week or two driving on the wrong side that I can become really
dangerous. I get this overwhelming urge to swing wide on a right turn.

I'm OK in England, where there is enough traffic flowing to keep my mind
focused. When I get up into Scotland a bit, there are so few cars that I
forget what I'm supposed to be doing. The sheep don't help.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.survivalism
Dave Lyon

When I get up into Scotland a bit, there are so few cars that I
forget what I'm supposed to be doing. The sheep don't help.

--
Ed Huntress

Those seep seducing you again?

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.survivalism
Ed Huntress

"Dave Lyon" wrote in message
When I get up into Scotland a bit, there are so few cars that I
forget what I'm supposed to be doing. The sheep don't help.

--
Ed Huntress

Those seep seducing you again?

They're nice-looking sheep, but they're not my type.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Barry Jarrett

wrote:

My drowsing passengers was wide awake after that experience. g

"i want to die peacefully, in my sleep, like my grandfather did; not
screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.survivalism
Jan Nielsen

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 15:58:37 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

I'm OK in England, where there is enough traffic flowing to keep my mind
focused. When I get up into Scotland a bit, there are so few cars that I
forget what I'm supposed to be doing. The sheep don't help.

Well, there's another problem: Almost every scotsman seem to believe they
have the driving abilities of Colin McRae - and drive accordingly. A Scottish
friend of mine took us for a spin in the countryside. Full speed ahead, one hand
on the wheel, pointing out the landmarks: "Over there is where I wrecked the
Capri." "Tis' the corner I rolled the Escort." Between him and his wife they
probably wrecked more cars than I could count on my fingers. While we was
staying, his parents-in-law totaled their Rover when they met a flat-bed hauler
on a road stretch under construction. Luckily they got away with minor
injuries.

The Scottish are wonderful people, but it'll take a couple of single malts
before you fully relax in the traffic up there. g
--
- JN -

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.survivalism
Ed Huntress

wrote:

[...]

It was a lot quieter when I was there. That was shortly after they invented
the self-starter. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress