DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   RF 31 vertical dial friction (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/137627-rf-31-vertical-dial-friction.html)

Bill Schwab December 29th 05 06:36 PM

RF 31 vertical dial friction

Hello all,

Aside from its not being a 3 ft wide 670 lb 10x54 mill (I know there is
no such thing), my biggest complaint about my 31 is that when the dial
is locked to the vertical fine feed, there is a "tight spot" on every
revolution. It has eased slightly over time, but it causes problems
because I can't reliably feel the cutting resistance.

I have been able to remove the hand wheel, but the dial itself has yet
to cooperate. Does anyone know how it is held in place and/or how to
safely remove it? My hunch is that some cleaning or maybe some gentle
filing will fix it, but I don't want to destroy the machine trying to
get that far.

Thanks,

Bill