Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Harbor Freight does it again...

Larry Jaques wrote:
On 7 Jan 2006 05:50:13 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
quickly quoth:

But which particular mini mill would you recommend? 1) The Seig X2, 2)
the "Two Speed Variable Mini Mill/Drill Machine" from Harbor Frieght,
or 3) the "Microlux Milling Machine" from Micro-Mark? (If all three of
them aren't the same machine, which they look to be).

See this comparison for more info, Searcher.
http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_mill/...s/versions.htm
The $379 HF 42976 mill/drill has been discontinued.

Yes, I know. But would that particular model have been an option
anyway?

I had already read that page twice, and though these are all supposed
to come from the same factory in China, I noticed slight differences in
the posted images/claims of these machines even though they are
supposed to be the same.

http://www.cumminstools.com/browse.cfm/4,1485.htm
http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares...oduct&ID=82573

Can I get recommendations from anyone that has had experience with
these?

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 18:48:24 +0000, (DoN.
Nichols) wrote:

According to John P. :
On 5 Jan 2006 21:23:03 -0800,
wrote:

[ ... ]

I purchased the Harbor Freight Mini Mill about 6 months ago for
$449.00. 29 days into it, and on my 2nd use, the drive belt snapped.
Luckily it hadn't been 30 days yet, so I took it back to HF and
swapped it for another... this time purchasing the 3 year warranty!
:-)

Warranty? I consider a belt to be an expendable item. You
should simply always keep a spare on hand.

Good Luck,
DoN.

I strongly agree. Particularly Chicom belts. While they make decent
industrial grade machine tools..their belting leaves much to be
desired. If you are going to buy a Chicom machine..buy at least one
extra belt.. or better yet, remove yours and take it to the local belt
house and get a proper US made one

Put the original in the drawer with a tag on it..cause in 15 yrs you
may not remember what it was for.

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose
and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology
has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence,
and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years
.. It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints,
and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been
as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John P. wrote:
On 5 Jan 2006 21:23:03 -0800, wrote:

Also, concerning a Mini-mill, I'll need to make some small parts, and
I'm well aware that a mini-mill wouldn't be an adequate machine for
many here, but since I'm a newbie with very little space, and need to
begin somewhere, I was hoping to get reocommendations on what to keep
my eyes open for.(New or used).

I purchased the Harbor Freight Mini Mill about 6 months ago for
$449.00. 29 days into it, and on my 2nd use, the drive belt snapped.
Luckily it hadn't been 30 days yet, so I took it back to HF and
swapped it for another... this time purchasing the 3 year warranty!
:-)

I've used it quite a lot and think that for the money it is one of the
best equipment purchases I've ever made. I use mine for making custom
handles, guards and bolsters for hand forged knives. (You can see an
example he
http://pozadzides.com/john/) I've also found a few
other interesting little projects here and there.

So, I'd find one of those HF coupons... wait till it's on sale for
$449.00... then snag one and get the extended warranty - just in case!

I've actually been looking at the mini-mills(or Mill/drills) that are
all supposed to come from the same factory in China, and noticed slight
differences the posted images/claims of these machines even though they
are supposed to be the same.

http://www.cumminstools.com/browse.cfm/4,1485.htm
http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares...oduct&ID=82573

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The minimill is probably the best bang for the buck if it fits your work
envelope. Buy new on a deal like the above. I have yet to see one used
at a better deal. R8 collets, endmill set, and maybe an indexable
endmill adds less than $100.

But which particular mini mill would you recommend? 1) The Seig X2, 2)
the "Two Speed Variable Mini Mill/Drill Machine" from Harbor Frieght,
or 3) the "Microlux Milling Machine" from Micro-Mark? (If all three of
them aren't the same machine, which they look to be).

Next step up is the round-column mill-drill. Bigger work envelope,
round-column issues as beaten to death here and elsewhere. But otherwise
a workhorse. About $600 on sale, maybe less combine with a HF coupon.

Too heavy for me.

Next would be the Seig X3. About the same work envelope as a MD, but has
a dovetail column. Big brother to the minimill. $959 intro price at Grizzly.

Too heavy and too pricey for me.

Then you get to the benchtop knee-mills at about $1500 and up ?

Way too heavy and pricey for me.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John P. wrote:
[...]

I've been looking at the mini-mills(or Mill/drills) that are all
supposed to come from the same factory in China, and noticed slight
differences the posted images/claims of these machines even though they
are supposed to be the same.

http://www.cumminstools.com/browse.cfm/4,1485.htm
http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares...oduct&ID=82573

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On 8 Jan 2006 08:43:21 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
quickly quoth:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On 5 Jan 2006 21:23:03 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
quickly quoth:

The Seig X2 mini mill (HF item 44991) is a remarkable well made little
machine (I just CNC'd one), certainly no Bridgeport, but a solid little
machine with a convenient R8 spindle. I got this for $359 between a sale
and a 20% coupon, regular $500.

Can anyone give me he specifics on what this 20% e-mail is all about. I
get e-mails from Harbor Freight all the time but nothing like that.

I wrote this to Roy last month:

--snip--
How did you get the 20% off coupon?

On their funky, priceless promo sote, Roy. Sign up for free email ads
at
www.harborfreightusa.com .

Top right link says:

FREE
Receive: discounts,
coupons, specials
Click Here

I am not a company, so that doesn't work.(Funny how they still send me
e-mails everyday on discounted stuff I don't need.

I didn't sign up as a company. BTW, the last mailer I got from them
had a 20% off coupon on the top right side of the front page. No
email necessary.

I've been looking at the mini-mills(or Mill/drills) that are all
supposed to come from the same factory in China, and noticed slight
differences the posted images/claims of these machines even though they
are supposed to be the same.

http://www.cumminstools.com/browse.cfm/4,1485.htm
http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares...oduct&ID=82573

Can I get recommendations from anyone that has had experience with
these?

I'm in the same boat as you are. Wanting, but haven't bought one yet.
Since the HF store is within driving range, I'm strongly leaning
toward their model. The Cummins model is $100 cheaper but comes with a
$109 shipping fee, and I don't really trust the company having seen
their tent sales fly through town. There would be no support at all.
In the higher price range, the Minilux starts closing in on its larger
brother, Grizzly's G0463. That looks fascinating for a grand (which I
don't have.)

Maybe I'll just bite the bullet, clean us some room in the shop, save
up some gas money, and wander on down to Gunners for that old Gorton
mill and a REAL drill press some day soon.

--
"Not always right, but never uncertain." --Heinlein
-=-=-
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John P.

On 8 Jan 2006 06:31:18 -0800, "rashid111" wrote:

What most folx don't know is that in last month there's been a radical,
groundbreaking,
momentous development in what us hobby machinists can get here in US.

Drum rolllll ... Grizzly is now carrying Sieg X3 for something like
$900 http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0463

Looks nice, but at almost triple the price and triple the weight I
guess you really need to be able to put the increased precision to
use... Something personally I can't justify for the limited stuff I'm
currently doing with mine. ;-)

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.

Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

The machines are all essentially the same, with the possible exception
of the MicroMark versions. The pictures and claims vary a bit due to
changes / improvements made by the manufacturer and errors in the
advertising. The only real difference in the mini-mills is the R8 or MT3
spindle.

The HF version is the R8 which would generally be preferable since R8
tooling is more common and less expensive. I wouldn't expect a lot of
support from most of the vendors other than outright replacement if the
thing is broken.

I have to agree that the Cummins tent sales don't exactly give me that
warm fuzzy feeling, but it's still the basic Sieg X2 product and I've
read reports of people perfectly happy with their X2 from Cummins.

The HF version is an excellent deal with the sale and coupon if you can
do local pickup, the Cummins if they're in town is probably similar, but
I don't recall if they have the preferable R8 spindle. I think
LittleMachineShop sells replacement spindles in both bores for like $50
so you could always change if need be.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.

wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

They are all the same machine, the Sieg X2 product. The only real
differences are the paint color and the spindle bore, either R8 or MT3.
The other differences you see are just a function of which boatload of
machines the picture was from. The product has changed slightly over the
different lots.

Look at the actual Sieg site to see what the machine is about,
http://www.siegind.com they are the folks that make all of the machines.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

I really had no intention of going over $450 with shipping, and was
thinking that a used machine from eBay was my best shot, but now I
wonder if I should save up some more and as a result have to wait a
while, or continue to look for a used(cheap) one so I can get started
on my projects which are way overdue. Anything approaching 200lbs would
have to be broken down and carried up a lot of stairs by one person,
piece by piece and then put back together. Is this plausible with
something like the Grizzly G0463?

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

I've been staying away from MT# like the plague.

I went to Seig's site and now those Multi-machines look interesting. I
haven't read anything about them, and was wondering if anyone here has
dad any experience with them and thought they were worth it.

I assume that they a way more expensive than the Sieg X2 type machines.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.

Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

Most any machine can be broken into smaller sections to move, but for
almost anything in a smaller benchtop class there should be a way to
move it intact, even with one person, with some ingenuity.

The X2 at about 110# can be carried whole by one person of moderate
strength, and can very easily be broken down to two sections that are
easy to carry by just separating the column/head from the table/base
with the single large column tilt bolt.

The X3 at about 364# could probably be handled with a rented appliance
type hand truck with two people, or one person if broken down to two
sections. The X3 does not appear to be as easy to breakdown as the X2
since it has the column leadscrew drive connecting through to the base.
364# is not a big deal to rig with an appropriate winch though if the
setting allows for it.

Something like a Bridgeport at 2,000#+ is a bit more work to rig
although they come apart into three sections pretty easily. Of course
with a Bridgeport you have to worry about structural issues if you want
to put them on an upper floor since typical construction isn't designed
for the concentrated 400#+/sq ft loading of a full sized mill.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John P. wrote:
On 9 Jan 2006 19:59:04 -0800, wrote:

I really had no intention of going over $450 with shipping, and was
thinking that a used machine from eBay was my best shot, but now I
wonder if I should save up some more and as a result have to wait a
while, or continue to look for a used(cheap) one so I can get started
on my projects which are way overdue. Anything approaching 200lbs would
have to be broken down and carried up a lot of stairs by one person,
piece by piece and then put back together. Is this plausible with
something like the Grizzly G0463?

Darren,

If you don't mind my asking, what are you going to use the milling
machine for?

A variety of different projects, and I'm attempting to future-proof a
little.

Considering that the little HF Mini Mill works great for me, and a lot
of other folks, it makes me wonder if your application is going to be
so tolerance critical that you really need to spend a lot more money
and go through the pain of moving a heavier machine?

A need for hand trucks and hoists would put any machine off the list of
possibilities.(Even if I didn't have narrow stairs, tight turns, and
small windows). But I have no problem lugging 180lbs dumb bells up the
stairs, so if I figured that if I could break down a machine like that
to more manageable pieces, then I shouldn't ahve any problems. I'd just
have to save up a grand to get one.(Unless a better used option comes
around). :-)

Since I want to work a lot with Stainless steel(303, 304, 316L) I want
to be sure I have a machine that will be able to handle those
materials.

BTW. I e-mailed Harbor Freight and asked if their Micro Mill/Drill(Item
47158-0VGA) would have any problem drilling through 1/4" stainless(316)
with a 1/4" bit and I received the following reply: "3/8" is the
drilling capacity so 1/4" should be no problem."

I'm not sure if that answered my question, but I do now have a
Rotabroach(and 5 ton punch press) for things I wouldn't be able to do
with a small mill.

(Then again, I also don't yet have a metal lathe).

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.