Old July 26th 19, 08:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Dalton Lathes

Hello i have a Dalton nine x four and im looking for the end gear cover and top gear covers

Old August 31st 19, 01:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I just un packed my fathers dalton lathe after 11 years in storage. All cleaned up . A few minor repairs. I have tones of tooling with it . And gear sets etc.
9x3 . Where is the serial number normally located?
Also I need instruction about how to use the gears etc and thread cut.

It has two drives. One threaded , one slotted. There is a thread counter/ index my father made. As a kid I remember using this lathe and cutting threads using the counter. But I can’t remember enough... are manuals available?
Old August 31st 19, 02:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
I just un packed my fathers dalton lathe after 11 years in storage.
All cleaned up . A few minor repairs. I have tones of tooling with it
.. And gear sets etc.
9x3 . Where is the serial number normally located?
Also I need instruction about how to use the gears etc and thread
cut.

It has two drives. One threaded , one slotted. There is a thread
counter/ index my father made. As a kid I remember using this lathe
and cutting threads using the counter. But I can't remember enough...
are manuals available?

=========================

In general, if the spindle and leadscrew are geared together 1:1 the
lathe cuts the same pitch as the leadscrew. For other pitches you need
gear ratios the same as the pitch ratios. For example to cut 16 TPI
with an 8 TPI leadscrew the leadscrew has to be reduced to 1/2 of
spindle speed. Gears can't have too few teeth, so the gear for 13 TPI
has 13 * 4 = 54 teeth and would be matched with 8 * 4 = 32 teeth.

A spreadsheet can be useful if you are reconstructing the gear train
ratios.

The thread counter dial on my South Bend allows disengaging the half
nuts to move the carriage quickly back to the thread start, without
stopping the lathe. It's not really necessary, you can back out the
bit and reverse the lathe instead.

The 1942 edition of "How to Run a Lathe" may be better than newer
editions for a lathe from the 1920's: My 1965 South Bend preserves
many relics of that age such as the option for overhead leather belt
drive.

Old October 4th 19, 04:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to Dennis Turk, allan canfield wrote:
Dennis i recently bought one of these dalton lathes i know nothing about this
item i would love to get some info on it if i could and would like to know
where i can get parts for it. It is a lot 5 #480. I need a bit holder and a
center for it. you can reach me at
https://www.polytechforum.com/img/6q
https://www.polytechforum.com/img/6r
https://www.polytechforum.com/img/6s

Old November 28th 19, 11:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hi. Got me å Dalton lathe no3391 oktober 06 1917 b4 in very god kondisjon i live in Norway.

Question about small 7 x 10 lathes Cuezilla Metalworking 2 October 18th 03 04:37 AM
Craftex Lathes Surf-dude Metalworking 0 October 15th 03 02:26 PM
Hobby lathes Colin French Metalworking 0 October 12th 03 01:33 PM
tida and takisawa lathes fred Metalworking 0 August 31st 03 01:12 AM
FS: Two 9" South Bend Model C Lathes in NJ Mlshaker Metalworking 0 August 7th 03 02:13 PM