Old December 27th 17, 10:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Dalton Lathes

On Wed, 27 Dec 2017 03:18:03 GMT, Colin Campbell
wrote:

replying to Dennis Turk, Colin Campbell wrote:
I have just purchased a Dalton 6 lathe. I need to replace one of the gears
in the gear train, do you know the specificactions for these gears?

Which gear?

---

Old December 29th 17, 04:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

14 year old zombie thread!

I hope alla y’all realize Dennis wants you to join the Dalton Yahoo group
Old December 31st 17, 03:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to Dennis Turk, john333 wrote:
Hello, I just picked up a 1922 lot 4 dalton, how do you get all the sludge
and rust removed ? i hope this gets out there as i am new to metal working
Thanks..

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalw...es-308297-.htm

Old December 31st 17, 09:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 31 Dec 2017 14:18:04 GMT, john333
wrote:

replying to Dennis Turk, john333 wrote:
Hello, I just picked up a 1922 lot 4 dalton, how do you get all the sludge
and rust removed ? i hope this gets out there as i am new to metal working
Thanks..

You could try oven cleaner, or lye, to start.
Old January 1st 18, 07:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I just aquired a dalton lot4 serial4092 trying to take apart tailstock because shaft crank handle is bent.want to know was is the best way to attack tearing it apart

Old January 2nd 18, 01:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, December 26, 2003 at 11:31:31 AM UTC-5, Dennis Turk wrote:
To all Dalton owners and people interested in Dalton equipment. My
name is Dennis Turk and I own seven Dalton lathes, one lot 3 and six
lot 4 machines. The range of age is before 1914 and to after 1925. I
do not use the lathes as they are for restoration and display.

There is a group of Dalton owners that share pictures information and
in some cases replacement parts. There is I believe 13 people in this
group. We are known as just the Dalton Gang.:-) Two of the people
live in England, as it seems Daltons ended up over there also.

There are no multi function machines in the group. The group is
comprised of one lot 2 lathe two lot 3 lathes sixteen lot 4 lathes and
one lot 6. The lot number is just in front of your serial number and
denotes the model. B-4 or B-6.

Not all lathes especially the early ones have model tags on them only
a lot #. We keep a record of all Lot and Serial numbers and this way
we can gestimate the approximate age or year of build for the lathes.

In this group there is also one very original peddle or foot powered
lathe that has the hand lever on the tailstock. Really interesting
machine. Devil to run though.

I would be interested in communicating with anyone that owns a Dalton
lathe for the purpose of tracking serial numbers and helping others
with problems with their lathes. There are a very small number of
replacement parts available. These are used but serviceable.

In some of the postings there was a question as to the age of Dalton
tool works. We know that Herbert Dalton started the company some time
before 1912 and it failed in the stock market crash of 1929. In 1930
Elecrolux purchased the property and built vacuum cleaners there

Thanks and I hope to hear form all Dalton owners.

Just purchased Dalton lathe lot #5 No 248. The lathe is missing most of the gears for the lead screw. Is there a source for these gears or if not, perhaps drawings and list gears/numbers of teeth.

Thanking you in advance.

Colin Campbell

Old January 3rd 18, 12:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, December 26, 2003 at 8:31:31 AM UTC-8, Dennis Turk wrote:
[...]

I just found a Dalton, short bed, and has a box of change gears etc. It has been exposed for a few years but as I do restoration on machines, this should be a doable restoration. I am going to have it in my shop in a few days but I believe if is missing the gear cover (the hinged housing) and from pctures on the internet, there is also a pulley cover missing. I am sorry that do not know the names of all the parts yet. How unobtainable are these covers as I would like to make it complete if at all possible. I will post a serial number once I have the lathe on my bench and can locate it or any other identifying features. I am excited!
Old January 6th 18, 06:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, December 26, 2017 at 10:18:05 PM UTC-5, Colin Campbell wrote:
replying to Dennis Turk, Colin Campbell wrote:
I have just purchased a Dalton 6 lathe. I need to replace one of the gears
in the gear train, do you know the specificactions for these gears?

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalw...es-308297-.htm

I realize now that there are several gears missing. i have a double gear at the top which mates to the spindle plus a 48 tooth and a 96 tooth.
Old January 19th 18, 01:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to Dennis Turk, WubWub wrote:
Hi Dennis. I might be England's number three! I have a Dalton lathe no. 747 as
I remember it. Think it is a B4. I stored it away, but got it out the other
day to clean and sell it. After assembling it and cleaning it, I knew that I
could not sell it and that I need to finish what I started and to make the
change gears that it lacked (I bought a Clarke CLM500M and a Vertex Dividing
Head from a friend just to do that). Anyway, send me an email and I'll pop
some pictures to you. I imagine that it's nearly all there. I'm not 100% sure
on the setup, although I did have it running long enough to make two brass
spinners!

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalw...es-308297-.htm

Old January 19th 18, 06:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Dennis,
I would like to get in touch with you regarding my Dalton. I saved it from the scrapper, but I am fully committed to bringing it back. I would like to learn more about parts, potential parts machines or ideas. I thank you kindly,Adrian
415 418-9112

Question about small 7 x 10 lathes Cuezilla Metalworking 2 October 18th 03 04:37 AM
Craftex Lathes Surf-dude Metalworking 0 October 15th 03 02:26 PM
Hobby lathes Colin French Metalworking 0 October 12th 03 01:33 PM
tida and takisawa lathes fred Metalworking 0 August 31st 03 01:12 AM
FS: Two 9" South Bend Model C Lathes in NJ Mlshaker Metalworking 0 August 7th 03 02:13 PM