DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Dalton Lathes (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/13718-dalton-lathes.html)

[email protected] February 23rd 17 07:51 AM

Dalton Lathes

Am Freitag, 26. Dezember 2003 17:31:31 UTC+1 schrieb Dennis Turk:
To all Dalton owners and people interested in Dalton equipment. My
name is Dennis Turk and I own seven Dalton lathes, one lot 3 and six
lot 4 machines. The range of age is before 1914 and to after 1925. I
do not use the lathes as they are for restoration and display.

There is a group of Dalton owners that share pictures information and
in some cases replacement parts. There is I believe 13 people in this
group. We are known as just the Dalton Gang.:-) Two of the people
live in England, as it seems Daltons ended up over there also.

There are no multi function machines in the group. The group is
comprised of one lot 2 lathe two lot 3 lathes sixteen lot 4 lathes and
one lot 6. The lot number is just in front of your serial number and
denotes the model. B-4 or B-6.

Not all lathes especially the early ones have model tags on them only
a lot #. We keep a record of all Lot and Serial numbers and this way
we can gestimate the approximate age or year of build for the lathes.

In this group there is also one very original peddle or foot powered
lathe that has the hand lever on the tailstock. Really interesting
machine. Devil to run though.

I would be interested in communicating with anyone that owns a Dalton
lathe for the purpose of tracking serial numbers and helping others
with problems with their lathes. There are a very small number of
replacement parts available. These are used but serviceable.

In some of the postings there was a question as to the age of Dalton
tool works. We know that Herbert Dalton started the company some time
before 1912 and it failed in the stock market crash of 1929. In 1930
Elecrolux purchased the property and built vacuum cleaners there

Thanks and I hope to hear form all Dalton owners.

Hi Dennis,

since some Days i own a MetalLathe , maybe a Dalton Lot 2-
Unfortunetly i find no SerialNumber or other things for a Identifikation.

Some Pictures are he

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/...?f=42&t=104833

It would help, if you can help.

If it is a Dalton Lot2, you know one more in the World...

You Re-Build a very nice Champions Blower Forge 9L

Regards from Germany,

Rainer

Rainer February 24th 17 11:18 PM

Dalton Lathes

replying to Dennis Turk, Rainer wrote:
Hi Dennis, since One Week I own a Dalton Metal Lathe. It is a Lot 2, NO 477. A
Picture Can Seen unser
Http://chaski.org/homemachinist unser the Lathe-Topic. Eben there are some
more Information about the lot2-machines, I'm Interesse on them. Regards from
Germany, Rainer

--
for full context, visit http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...es-308297-.htm

[email protected] March 2nd 17 05:48 PM

Dalton Lathes

Dennis,

I've spoken with you a few years back about my lathe, I have a decent restoration thread going on now he

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threa...oration.34943/

I'm still interested in a threading dial if there is ever another batch run :)

Rainer,

Guten morgen! Euer Drehbank is sehr nett! Da ist ein webseite von England du soll sehen. ummm...Hier: http://www.lathes.co.uk/dalton/page2.html. Ich kenne mein Deutch is besten nicht, aber woll ich zu helfen mit euer Dalton, oder englisch wann ich kan :).

TLouisJ March 8th 17 03:18 AM

Dalton Lathes

replying to Dennis Turk, TLouisJ wrote:
Hi, I just received a Dalton Six lathe. The Patent tag ends in 1922 and the
tags all have New York so I think it was built between 1922-1925. ?? It
looks like an 8" x 16" so it's not very long. There are no model numbers or
other ID tags. Can you tell me what it is?
https://www.polytechforum.com/img/5b

--
for full context, visit http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...es-308297-.htm

Ron Clark October 3rd 17 03:18 AM

Dalton Lathes

replying to Dennis Turk, Ron Clark wrote:
I just bought a dalton 7" lathe im not certain of the lot #. The forward /
reverse planetary is broke. Im looking fir a used one. If u could help. Thank
u.

--
for full context, visit http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...es-308297-.htm

Jordief123 October 3rd 17 05:18 AM

Dalton Lathes

replying to Dennis Turk, Jordief123 wrote:
Hello: thank you for getting back! I inquired about your group over a year
ago. I posted my lathe info and pictures on the OWWM site: dalton lathe and
jordie field. It be would wonderful if you could look at it and let me know
what you think. All the best ! And thank you. Jordie field

--
for full context, visit http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...es-308297-.htm

[email protected] December 13th 17 01:59 AM

Dalton Lathes

Hello,

My name is Matt and I live in Illinois. I have recently come across an opportunity to obtain a “Dalton Six” B-4 Lathe. It is in working condition and seems like a pretty sturdy lil Lathe and perfect for my little garage. The guy wants $215.00 for it. Is that a fair price considering it is so hard to get replacement parts?

[email protected] December 13th 17 06:41 AM

Dalton Lathes

On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 16:59:52 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Hello,

My name is Matt and I live in Illinois. I have recently come across an opportunity to obtain a Dalton Six B-4 Lathe. It is in working condition and seems like a pretty sturdy lil Lathe and perfect for my little garage. The guy wants $215.00 for it. Is that a fair price considering it is so hard to get replacement parts?

The real value of these "Garage Lathes" is quite often determined by
the attachments and accessories that come with it. 3 jaw chuck? 4
jawed chuck? Taper turning attachment? Tool holders? Boring bar
holder? Tail stock drill chuck? Tool bits (to fit)? A boring bar or
maybe two? The list goes on and on...
--
Cheers,

Schweik

Jon Anderson[_3_] December 13th 17 08:05 AM

Dalton Lathes

Price doesn't sound too bad even for a fairly stripped machine, so long
as it's in good condition. Check ways front ways near headstock for
wear. At minimum, you'll want a 3 jaw, 4 jaw, faceplate, drill chuck,
lantern tool post, and a live center to do much. With that, you could
make a lot of accessories. If you plan to do any threading, you'll want
a set of change gears. If not, you could get by with putting a variable
speed DC motor on the far end of the lead screw. I modified a friend's
Craftsman thus. If it's missing most of the above, be aware that without
some serious bargain hunting, they'll likely cost at least double the
price of the lathe.

Jon

---

Colin Campbell[_2_] December 27th 17 04:18 AM

Dalton Lathes

replying to Dennis Turk, Colin Campbell wrote:
I have just purchased a Dalton 6 lathe. I need to replace one of the gears
in the gear train, do you know the specificactions for these gears?

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalw...es-308297-.htm