DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   WANTED: Micrometer Follow Rest for South Bend Heavy 10" Lathe (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/13623-wanted-micrometer-follow-rest-south-bend-heavy-10%22-lathe.html)

RRBeaupre December 20th 03 08:55 PM

WANTED: Micrometer Follow Rest for South Bend Heavy 10" Lathe

I am looking for a micrometer type follow rest for my SB heavy 10 lathe. Will
pay fair price for one in good condition.

Bob

Grant Erwin December 20th 03 09:23 PM

WANTED: Micrometer Follow Rest for South Bend Heavy 10" Lathe

I looked and looked for one of these for my SB 9" but never found one. Then
I called South Bend and was astonished to have them quote me a very reasonable
price, something like $120, far cheaper than they were going for on ebay. So
I bought one new. Since then South Bend has gone under but someone has picked
up parts support. I don't know how to reach them but someone on this NG will.
You might try asking the new price, it might be the best way to go still. - GWE

Errol Groff December 21st 03 03:49 AM

WANTED: Micrometer Follow Rest for South Bend Heavy 10" Lathe

Grant:

Would it be possible for you to post a picture of the "micrometer
follower rest" in the dropbox? I have never heard a follower rest
using that description but perhaps the style I am familiar with is
just being called by a different name.

Errol Groff

Grant Erwin December 21st 03 09:43 AM

WANTED: Micrometer Follow Rest for South Bend Heavy 10" Lathe

OK, but it's the same picture you'll see in "How To Run A Lathe" - the
micrometer thing is a misnomer, it's just the one with knurled knobs.
I'll try to get to this tomorrow.

Grant

Errol Groff December 21st 03 10:47 PM

WANTED: Micrometer Follow Rest for South Bend Heavy 10" Lathe

Just what I pictured in my mind. We have a half dozen of the things
in the shop. I just never had heard of them being call "micrometer".

Always just been follower rests to me.

Errol Groff
Instructor, Machine Tool Department
H.H. Ellis Tech
613 Upper Maple Street
Danielson, CT 06239

860 774 8511 x1811

http://pages.cthome.net/errol.groff/

http://newenglandmodelengineeringsociety.org/

jim rozen December 22nd 03 12:53 AM

WANTED: Micrometer Follow Rest for South Bend Heavy 10" Lathe

In article , Errol Groff says...

Just what I pictured in my mind. We have a half dozen of the things
in the shop. I just never had heard of them being call "micrometer".
Always just been follower rests to me.

The 'plain' ones have the rectangular guides
with the slot down the center, for the clamping
bolt, and have to be tweaked in by hand.

The screw (micrometer) adjust ones are a bit nicer.
My 10L came with one of those (sorry, not for
sale...) but the steady rest was tough to get.
I saw dozens of plain 10L steady rests go through
ebay before I finally snagged a screw-adjust one.

Jim

please reply to: