Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

Default welding brass?

Hi

I might have to do that: Weld some (hopefully many) brass cases for RF
shielding.
Now I could do that with OA or a TIG. I would have to lend that TIG (DC
only).

But I have never welded brass before. Neither with OA nor TIG. Is that
difficult (not a welding newbie at all). Can I simply use some brass
rod? Or will the Pb in it (most have) make problems?

The case will be 200 * 100 * 80 mm and 5mm thick. I fear it is more a
heat sink than a piece of cake. How much amps would be enough for TIGing
(if that is the way to go)?

Yes, I will make the prototype it with silver soldering, but I guess it
won't be much fun (regarding the size and the pieces fixing and falling
apart. All that with tight tolerances).

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de

Spot welding brass SteveF Metalworking 7 December 12th 04 08:15 AM
Starter Welding Set Jeff Polaski Metalworking 5 July 20th 04 05:11 PM
gas or not? Joe Metalworking 11 July 29th 03 09:29 AM
Electronic/Automatic welding masks - a good thing? Frank UK diy 1 July 21st 03 12:39 PM