DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Bullets falling back to earth (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/13517-bullets-falling-back-earth.html)

Jim McGill December 15th 03 05:00 PM

Bullets falling back to earth

I've been around celebrations in the Balkans and Mexico where they were
firing guns into the air. Two things I noticed were that they were
almost always above 45 degrees and they were usually pointed towards
some uninhabited mountain or out to sea. Most of the cultures that fire
guns into the air are fairly gun savvy.

David A. Webb December 15th 03 05:11 PM

Bullets falling back to earth

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 16:57:26 +0000, Andy Dingley
wrote:

It is possible to go supersonic in free-fall

Space shuttle is the best example of that. And it isn't going
anywhere near straight down.

Dave

Spehro Pefhany December 15th 03 05:29 PM

Bullets falling back to earth

wrote:

It is possible to go supersonic in free-fall

Space shuttle is the best example of that. And it isn't going
anywhere near straight down.

The space shuttle in LEO is over 17,000 MPH; it has to slow down A LOT
to just be going supersonic.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Ted Edwards December 15th 03 06:44 PM

Bullets falling back to earth

Bob Swinney wrote:

Fire a cannon ball exactly horizontal (level) with the earth. At the exact
instant the cannon ball leaves the muzzle, drop another cannon ball from the
same height. The 2 cannon balls will reach the earth at the same time.

On an airless planet but not on Earth. Think Areodynamic drag.

Ted

Jim Stewart December 15th 03 07:02 PM

Ted Edwards wrote:
Bob Swinney wrote:

Fire a cannon ball exactly horizontal (level) with the earth. At the exact
instant the cannon ball leaves the muzzle, drop another cannon ball from the
same height. The 2 cannon balls will reach the earth at the same time.

On an airless planet but not on Earth. Think Areodynamic drag.

I think on earth too. The downward component
of the areodynamic (sic) drag will be the same
in both cases.

Now if you got some spin on the fired cannon
ball, things might be different.

JTMcC December 15th 03 07:04 PM

"Ted Edwards" wrote in message
Bob Swinney wrote:

Fire a cannon ball exactly horizontal (level) with the earth. At the

exact
instant the cannon ball leaves the muzzle, drop another cannon ball from

the
same height. The 2 cannon balls will reach the earth at the same time.

On an airless planet but not on Earth. Think Areodynamic drag.

Ted

I believe it to be so on earth, aerodynamic drag will act upon the bullet's
horizontal motion, gravity will act upon it's vertical drop. think about it
a little more and you might agree.

JTMcC.

JTMcC December 15th 03 07:13 PM

Bullets falling back to earth

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , JTMcC says...

I would think the effect of gravity
and wind resistance would determine the maximun velocity of the falling
bullet

The phrase is 'terminal velocity' and I suspect that for
any modern round fired straight up, this is indeed the
determining factor, so I would put my guess in line with
yours. As you suggest, there are others here who truly
know the answer off the top of their heads.

Jim

I'm aware of terminal velocity, and have reached it a time or two. I can
reach it while falling from a height, regardless of my velocity in reaching
that height, therefor my difference of opinion with the post about the
bullet dropping at the same speed it initially rose. I can jump (fall, be
pushed out of) an airplane at a height of 1000 ft and I will achieve a
certain speed before wind resistance prevents any further increase. I can
also be shot from a cannon straight into the air, or simply step off a
platform at 1000 feet and still, my velocity toward the earth is limited by
drag. If I spend 7 hours climbing to the 1000 foot mark, or ascend in a
matter of seconds via F-16, my upward velocity matters not to the downward
velocity I attain. That is my take, but then I wasn't even paying attention
in H.S. physics.

JTMcC.

please reply to:

[email protected] December 15th 03 07:28 PM

Bullets falling back to earth

In article ,
Ted Edwards wrote:
Bob Swinney wrote:

Fire a cannon ball exactly horizontal (level) with the earth. At the exact
instant the cannon ball leaves the muzzle, drop another cannon ball from the
same height. The 2 cannon balls will reach the earth at the same time.

On an airless planet but not on Earth. Think Areodynamic drag.

Ted

Even on earth.

Basic physics has us break things up into components. A cannon ball fired
exactly horizontal will have tremendous velocity horizontally, and none
vertically. While the horizontal velocity will be decreasing due to friction
with the air, the vertical velocity will be increasing due to gravity. This
increase works just the same as if you dropped the bowling ball. So a
bowling ball dropped from the same height as the muzzle of the cannon will
reach the ground in the exact same time as the cannon ball that was fired
from the cannon (neglecting curvature of the earth and other such factors
such as spin on the ball producing lift, etc.). Since both cannon balls are
the same size and mass and have the same initial conditions in the vertical
direction, they are for all intents and purposes identical in behavior on
the vertical axis. Horizontal is obviously a different ball of wax.

-- Joe

--
Joseph M. Krzeszewski Mechanical Engineering and stuff
Jack of All Trades, Master of None... Yet

Gunner December 15th 03 07:59 PM

Bullets falling back to earth

wrote:

It is possible to go supersonic in free-fall

Space shuttle is the best example of that. And it isn't going
anywhere near straight down.

Dave

Wouldnt the Shuttle have started out way up up beyond Mach 50, and
slows down as it enters atmosphere, ultimately falling below
supersonic as it finds its terminal velocity? Its actually slowing,
rather than speeding up as it falls.

The Mach 50 G figure being sheer hyperbole as there is no speed of
sound in orbit.

Gunner

" ..The world has gone crazy. Guess I'm showing my age...
I think it dates from when we started looking at virtues
as funny. It's embarrassing to speak of honor, integrity,
bravery, patriotism, 'doing the right thing', charity,
fairness. You have Seinfeld making cowardice an acceptable
choice; our politicians changing positions of honor with
every poll; we laugh at servicemen and patriotic fervor; we
accept corruption in our police and bias in our judges; we
kill our children, and wonder why they have no respect for
Life. We deny children their childhood and innocence- and
then we denigrate being a Man, as opposed to a 'person'. We
*assume* that anyone with a weapon will use it against his
fellowman- if only he has the chance. Nah; in our agitation
to keep the State out of the church business, we've
destroyed our value system and replaced it with *nothing*.
Turns my stomach- " Chas , rec.knives

Gunner December 15th 03 08:00 PM

Bullets falling back to earth

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 09:00:14 -0800, Jim McGill
wrote:

I've been around celebrations in the Balkans and Mexico where they were
firing guns into the air. Two things I noticed were that they were
almost always above 45 degrees and they were usually pointed towards
some uninhabited mountain or out to sea. Most of the cultures that fire
guns into the air are fairly gun savvy.

Seems they have an edge over East L.A.

rhncue December 15th 03 08:46 PM

Bullets falling back to earth

A 30.06 rifle bullet has a muzzle velocity almost 3000 ft. per second.
This equates to approx.2045.5 mph. a bullet falling straight back to earth
has the law of gravity pulling it and with wind resistance will attain a
velocity of approx. 150 mph. which equates to about 102 ft per second. about
the weakest firearm cartridge there is a .25 cal and it's muzzle velocity is
over 500 ft. per second which is five times the speed of a falling bullet
and a .25 cal. is so weak that very often when someone is shot with one all
it does is get them mad where as they take the gun away and wip your ass.

--
Building and repair of fine custom cues at affordable
prices for real poolplayers. Over 35yrs. exp.

"JTMcC" wrote in message

"Chris Oates" none wrote in message

"Dean" wrote in message
This is sort of metalwork - it involves lead. I was watching the

Iraqies
celebrating the capture of Saddam by firing their rifles and guns into

the
air. How dangerous are the bullets coming down ? I know they fall back

much
slower than they leave the gun barrel, but they must still be doing a

fair
clip. They said 4 people so far have been killed by this but I guess

in
Iraq
its hard to know which bullets came from where. As a few of you know

about
guns I thought I'd ask here.

Yes, same velocity they went up with

That sure doesn't sound right to me. A bullet or any other object fired

into
the air, let's say straight up to keep it simple, will slow until it

finally
stops and begins to fall back to earth. I would think the effect of

gravity
and wind resistance would determine the maximun velocity of the falling
bullet (object), not the velocity at which it was fired upward with. The
same speed would be realized as if you had simply dropped the bullet
(object) at the same altitude from a hot air balloon. Feel free to correct
me if I'm wrong.

JTMcC.

many cases on manslaughter have resulted
damage can be nasty as the bullet may have
aquired a spin or not be in line with the fall

Andy Dingley December 15th 03 08:49 PM

wrote:

It is possible to go supersonic in free-fall

Space shuttle is the best example of that.

Sorry, it's a very poor example - nearly as poor as my wording in the
previous comment.

I should have said "reached terminal velocity in free fall", with the
emphasis on "reaching". The shuttle is fast when it arrives, and
getting slower all the way down. If you dropped a stationary shuttle
from altitude, it certainly wouldn't _go_ supersonic.

JMLATHE December 15th 03 09:02 PM

Bullets falling back to earth

According to a book entitled "Hatcher's Notebook", the US Army performed tests
in Florida swamps in the first half of the 20th century by firing a 30 cal.
machine gun straight up into the air and carefully evaluating the returning
bullets. They determined that the returning 30 cal. 150 grain bullet would
reach a maximum terminal velocity less than that required to penetrate the
skull of an adult male, or reliably cause a disabling wound. The terminal
velocity was limited by the air resistance acting on the bullet as it fell,
thus limiting its impact energy. However a falling 50 cal bullet, due to its
greater mass, was considered a lethal threat. Don't try this at home! If you
want more details, the book is interesting reading. JM

jim rozen December 15th 03 09:27 PM

Bullets falling back to earth

In article , Gunner says...

The Mach 50 G figure being sheer hyperbole as there is no speed of
sound in orbit.

Well there has to be. How else could stuff go
"boom" in space, in all those movies?

LOL

Jim

please reply to:

Mark Rand December 15th 03 11:46 PM

Bullets falling back to earth

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 15:37:03 GMT, "Bob Swinney" wrote:

It is unclear if the accounts given below involve bullets falling only under
the influence of gravity - that is straight down. It is far more likely
they involve "stray" bullets that retain some component of forward velocity
imparted by the firing charge. Gunner's comments, elsewhere in this post,
make it clear that "service size" projectiles falling only under the force
of gravity are not likely to inflict mortal wounds.

Kinetic energy = 1/2 mv*2

In the case of a 150 grain bullet falling at 300 fps, its kinetic energy is:

Ke = 0.5 x (150/7000)/32) x 300*2 = ~30 ft. lbs.

Bullet weight in grains divided by 7000 = weight in lbs. Weight divided by
32 = poundals or mass associated with gravity.

Bob Swinney

Notwithstanding Gunners report i would suggest that a bullet falling
vertically is more likely to cause a head injury than one moving with a lower
trajectory. The Army estimates for energy required to inflict a mortal wound
were probably not specific to head wounds. If the bullet has enough energy to
penetrate the skull, then it probably has enough energy to cause a fatal
wound.

Mark Rand
RTFM

Erik December 16th 03 12:03 AM

"rhncue" wrote:

A 30.06 rifle bullet has a muzzle velocity almost 3000 ft. per second.
This equates to approx.2045.5 mph. a bullet falling straight back to earth
has the law of gravity pulling it and with wind resistance will attain a
velocity of approx. 150 mph. which equates to about 102 ft per second. about
the weakest firearm cartridge there is a .25 cal and it's muzzle velocity is
over 500 ft. per second which is five times the speed of a falling bullet
and a .25 cal. is so weak that very often when someone is shot with one all
it does is get them mad where as they take the gun away and wip your ass.

--
Building and repair of fine custom cues at affordable
prices for real poolplayers. Over 35yrs. exp.
Richard H. Neighbors 318 Linden st. Cinti. OH
ph.# (513) 242-1700
web-site: http://www.dickiecues.com

150 mph is about 220 ft/s, not 102. (1 mph is about 1.467 ft/s)...

If the .25 cal goes 500 ft/s, thats around 341 mph... have you ever been
close to something going that fast? I have... and I'm sure wouldn't want
to be hit by anything going that fast.

Back in the old skydiving days, a guy still in freefall grazed the skirt
of an open canopy with his hand & lower arm. He probably had a closing
speed of about 110 mph (only a measly 161.3 ft/s). Thats 120 mph
terminal freefall speed minus the roughly 10 mph decent speed of the
open round canopy.

Neither he, or the other two witnesses thought any part of the canopy or
lines had wrapped around him in any way... but wow, what mess it made of
him... multiple compound fractures, and all the fun associated stuff
that goes with them.

I think if I were shot with a .25, and ended up only being mad, I'd be
VERY lucky.

Erik

Bob Engelhardt December 16th 03 12:09 AM

Bullets falling back to earth

Andy Dingley wrote:
... It is possible to go supersonic in free-fall - the WW2 Grand Slam bomb ...

Actually, there was a man that went supersonic in free fall! IIRC, it
was post W.W.II and the Air Force sent an officer up in a balloon.
_Really_ up, like altitude record high. He jumped out and did free fall
for a _long_ time. Since he was so high, the speed of sound was
considerably less than at sea level (air density thing) and he actually
exceeded it.

Or so I heard on the Discovery channel, or TLC - one of them.

Bob

Mike December 16th 03 12:19 AM

Bullets falling back to earth

I would think a round lead ball would be the most dangerous. No tumbling
to cut down on drag and quick terminal velocity. An ounce lead ball shot
skyward with a good sling shot might reach terminal velocity on the way down
and I sure wouldn't won't to be on the receiving end of it.

Dan Thomas December 16th 03 12:29 AM

"Tim Williams" wrote in message ...
"Chris Oates" none wrote in message
Yes, same velocity they went up with

Nope. As soon as it leaves the barrel it's slowing down, as, AFAIK,
bullets are supersonic, and I know of nothing that has a terminal speed
greater than the speed of sound, at least at this size! After it reaches
the apex, where its vertical speed is zero, it is now speeding up, and
will slowly (exponential decay style) approach terminal speed. Donno what
number that is, though.

Tim

In World War I the French used "flechettes" against the troops in
the trenches. These were machined steel darts a few inches long, with
flutes cut into the aft end to stabilize and rotate them. They were
dropped from airplanes at a considerable height, hundreds at a go, and
would reach transsonic speeds (one source claimed supersonic speeds,
but I think the drag would preclude that)before they hit the ground or
some unfortunate soldier. Helmets weren't much protection; they were
sharp.
The density of air at 18,000 feet is half of that at sea level.
Anything dropped from this altitude is going to accelerate much more
quickly, as drag is a function of the square of any increase in speed.
Half of the density should, I figure, cut the drag to a quarter.
Increasing drag at lower altitudes would slow the acceleration, but a
much higher final velocity should be possible for a dart.

Dan

Greg and April December 16th 03 12:35 AM

Bullets falling back to earth

Sounds like another story I heard:

An Air Force pilot was trying to fly his fighter through a major
thunderstorm, when his engine gave out near the middle of the thing. He
bailed out, and because he was caught in the up draft, spent close to an
hour in the air without his plane. By the time he finally landed, his
uniform was shredded, and he was black and blue from head to foot.

Greg H.

Bob Swinney December 16th 03 12:59 AM

Bullets falling back to earth

Mark sez: "Notwithstanding Gunners report i would suggest that a bullet
falling
vertically is more likely to cause a head injury than one moving with a
lower
trajectory. The Army estimates for energy required to inflict a mortal
wound
were probably not specific to head wounds. If the bullet has enough energy
penetrate the skull, then it probably has enough energy to cause a fatal
wound."

Hmmnnnn? I wonder about that. Without doing the ballistic research thing,
it would seem that a bullet moving with any trajectory at all would still
have a remaining horizontal component of velocity. Thus, I believe the
lower trajectory bullet, i.e., stray bullet, would be the more dangerous.

Bob Swinney

JTMcC December 16th 03 02:04 AM

Bullets falling back to earth

"Erik" wrote in message
In article ,
"rhncue" wrote:

[...]

An aquantance of mine, who did business with my brother, emptied a .25 into
a fleeing felon's back with little or no effect (I know, that's normally
considered a no no), and ended up killing the man by knocking him down and
kicking him in the head. My brother, a gun dealer, had tried to convince the
guy to buy a major caliber pistol.
He was tried and aquitted by jury. And now owns a .40

JTMcC, happily carrying a .45acp for many years now.

ATP December 16th 03 02:17 AM

JTMcC wrote:
"jim rozen" wrote in message
[...]

You are right that it does not matter how you get there, but the initial
velocity does matter in projectile motion problems. That is the only energy
the projectile has, and it will be converted into a higher potential energy
until it has zero kinetic energy at the very top. Putting aside air
resistance, initial velocity and elevation is all we need to determine the
maximum height the projectile will reach. There are several ways the problem
can be solved, but comparing energy states is probably the most intuitive.

SimonShabtai Evan December 16th 03 02:47 AM

Bullets falling back to earth

This is basic physic 101. In a vacuum the bullet will return to the
firing point at the same velocity. In air a little slower but lethal
not the less.
S. Evan

JTMcC December 16th 03 03:10 AM

Bullets falling back to earth

"ATP" wrote in message
.net...
JTMcC wrote:
"jim rozen" wrote in message
[...]

We don't care how high it goes, we only care about it's velocity returning
to earth, after coming to a theoretical stop after being fired straight up.
We are talking about bullets with no energy remaining from the initial
firing. I can go out in my fromt yard right now, and fire a .22 caliber, 55
grain projectile into the sky at around 2800 fps (feet per second) or over
4000 fps. Using my original criteria of the bullet flying straight up, until
stopped by the force of gravity, and returning to earth via the same
gravitational force, do you really believe the bullet fired from a 220 Swift
or 22-250 will hit the ground at a greater speed than the one fired from a
..223? Again, I was more interested in the girl sitting next to me in H.S.
physics class than the math problems, but I'm still pretty sure I'm right.

JTMcC.

JTMcC December 16th 03 03:12 AM

"SimonShabtai Evan" wrote in message
This is basic physic 101. In a vacuum the bullet will return to the
firing point at the same velocity. In air a little slower but lethal
not the less.
S. Evan

We aren't living in a vacume around here. I believe you are misstaken when
you say a "little" slower.

JTMcC.

Roy December 16th 03 03:45 AM

Pennies thrown from Empire State Building was Bullets falling back to earth

I have heard on numerous occasion that a penny thrown off the top
observation tower of thr Empire State building can hit the ground with
enough force to crack a 6" concrete slab. I used to believe this
statement when I was a kid, but have a hard time buying it as fact
now. I just can't see it being fact, and see it more of an old wives
type tale. I don;t really think you could throw a penny that hard and
far enough to make it reach out sufficiently to clear the lower floors
stepped out structure anyhow.

When I used to work for a living,we had a hangers airconditioning unit
get a bullet hole in it. It was highly unlikely someone shot the AC
from a aircraft, but down the road was a pretty bad section of town
and gunshots could often be heard. We figured a shot was fired in the
air and it came down and went through the AC units fan blade and
compressor housings top.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Bob Swinney December 16th 03 04:30 AM

Bullets falling back to earth

We aren't living in a vacume around here. I believe you are misstaken when
you say a "little" slower.

Nah! It is a lot slower - physics 101 stuff indeed.

Bob Swinney

clare @ snyder.on .ca December 16th 03 04:39 AM

Bullets falling back to earth

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 03:10:12 GMT, "JTMcC"
wrote:

"ATP" wrote in message
v.net...
JTMcC wrote:
"jim rozen" wrote in message
[...]

The only difference is the 4000fps bullet will go higher than the 2800
fps bullet.
This will only affect the downward speed of the bullet if the max
elevation is not high enough to allow the falling bullet to reach
terminal velocity. The accelleration of gravity is sufficient to make
a 22 caliber projectile reach terminal velocity in significantly less
than the verticle distance covered by even a 2700fps projectile, I am
sure.

DoN. Nichols December 16th 03 04:56 AM

Dan Thomas wrote:

In World War I the French used "flechettes" against the troops in
the trenches. These were machined steel darts a few inches long, with
flutes cut into the aft end to stabilize and rotate them. They were
dropped from airplanes at a considerable height, hundreds at a go, and

[ ... ]

Increasing drag at lower altitudes would slow the acceleration, but a
much higher final velocity should be possible for a dart.

One factor is that the mass vs cross-sectional area was
seriously better than the average bullet, thanks to the additional
length, and the the stabilization of the fins, to keep the streamlined
and small cross section end pointed in the direction of flight. The
cross section would (approximately) define the drag, and the mass would
determine the acceleration force due to gravity. So -- as long as you
could keep it stabilized, the longer the dart, the higher the terminal
velocity.

Given stabilization -- a one-foot length of rebar would be
significantly more dangerous than a .50 cal bullet.

Out of curiosity -- what was the altitude ceiling for WW-I
period aircraft? (And for the pilots, since they almost certainly did
not have bottled oxygen available at that time.) IIRC, the air force
wanted the WW-II period pilots to be on oxygen at 10,000 feet or higher.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

clare @ snyder.on .ca December 16th 03 05:14 AM

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 03:45:12 GMT, (Roy) wrote:

I have heard on numerous occasion that a penny thrown off the top
observation tower of thr Empire State building can hit the ground with
enough force to crack a 6" concrete slab. I used to believe this
statement when I was a kid, but have a hard time buying it as fact
now. I just can't see it being fact, and see it more of an old wives
type tale. I don;t really think you could throw a penny that hard and
far enough to make it reach out sufficiently to clear the lower floors
stepped out structure anyhow.

Well, a golf ball hit straight up (or as close to straight as is
humanly possible) with a hardball bat makes a pretty good hole in a
steel covered barn roof when it comes down. Now, to be fair, the roof
was old and there was likely some rust damage, but it was over a cedar
shake roof, so there was more than rusty tin to come through. Never
found the ball.

When I used to work for a living,we had a hangers airconditioning unit
get a bullet hole in it. It was highly unlikely someone shot the AC
from a aircraft, but down the road was a pretty bad section of town
and gunshots could often be heard. We figured a shot was fired in the
air and it came down and went through the AC units fan blade and
compressor housings top.
Visit my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com

George E. Cawthon December 16th 03 05:20 AM

"J.R. Williams" wrote:

"Tim Williams" wrote in message ...
"Chris Oates" none wrote in message
Yes, same velocity they went up with

Nope. As soon as it leaves the barrel it's slowing down, as, AFAIK,
bullets are supersonic, and I know of nothing that has a terminal speed
greater than the speed of sound, at least at this size! After it reaches
the apex, where its vertical speed is zero, it is now speeding up, and
will slowly (exponential decay style) approach terminal speed. Donno what
number that is, though.

Tim

Tim:
Check "Hatcher's Notebook" and in the section on 'Bullets from the
sky' he records considerable data on experiments of vertical firing of
.30 cal 150 grain ammunition. With a muzzle velocity of 2700 ft/sec
they averaged only 300 ft/sec when they returned to the ground. This
gives an energy level of 30 ft. pounds and the Army considers 60 foot
pounds to produce a disabling wound. ("Hatcher's Notebook", Third
edition, pages 510 to 517). The majority of the bullets returned to
earth base first.

J.R. Williams

It is from Hatcher's book that I got the 300 fps data. And
contrary to all the nonsense and no fact statements here
made by many, Hatcher's groups did find that bullets fired
straight up did not routinely turn over but came down base
first as you said; some however tumbled or came down pointy
end first.

Regardless of all the nonsense stated by some here, 300 fps
is pretty slow moving in the field of weapons. BBs, air
pellets, sling shots, arrows, etc. can be higher than 300
fps, and all except BBs and pellets are likely much larger
and to weigh more than 150 grains. A tiny thing weighing
only 150 grains isn't going to do much compared to something
weighing a pound. The comparison has to be made considering
both speed and weight.

Sunworshiper December 16th 03 05:27 AM

Bullets falling back to earth

On 15 Dec 2003 16:29:06 -0800, (Dan
Thomas) wrote:

[...]

I like this post. Guns shouldn't be fired close to straight up in the
first place unless it's a shot gun without slugs. Who cares if it
will kill you or not. I say it is really close to fatal. We tryed
this once with arrows , from bird and target arrows with plain bows
to compound bows and hunting arrows. I don't remember them sticking in
the soft feild that far , but you don't want to catch one! It was
quite interesting how they would stall out and fall over and then
shake as they lined up to their own characteristic terminal velocity.
I can guaranty everyone of group was very attentive of the arrow's
location. We stopped after the first person lost site of it and was
pushed out of the way by another and it stuck right where he was ! My
main worry was running into someone else that was going the wrong
direction . The closest we got was about 1.5' from the cow pie which
was home base. It's hard to tell , but I would guess they went up 800
to 1,000' . They don't weigh that much and have feathers/plastic to
slow them down , but I would'nt want to be hit with one , even with a
pencil eraser on it.

George E. Cawthon December 16th 03 05:29 AM

Dan Thomas wrote:

[...]

You might be surprised about how low the terminal speed
would be, but without any data there is no point in
speculation. You did say the they were several inches long
so they would weight much more than a bullet and with a
point they could possibly have penetrated a helmet. In
comparison, it is highly unlikely that a 150 grain bullet
traveling at 300 fps would penetrate a helmet, just a dent.
Weight is everything at low speeds, an arrow shot into the
sky and falling down could penetrate you because of it's
much greater weight.

Gunner December 16th 03 05:59 AM

Bullets falling back to earth

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 03:33:06 GMT, bart wrote:

kinda OT..
I remember as a kid, the army surplus store had crates of little (
1-2oz?) lead teardrop shaped things with little tin fins ( bomb shape)
& the guy told me they were designed to be dropped from planes..

Most of those were actually steel. The name escapes me..something
Dog..but they were used as antipersonel devices against factories and
such. Kick out several tons of those killer bees over a manned
factory..and they would wreck havoc both on the machinery and the
personel. Very aerodynamic, hardened steel IRRC... terminal ballistics
quite high and the kinetic energy was very potent with that much drop
weight.

The modern cluster bomb has its roots in these bomblets

Erik December 16th 03 06:15 AM

Gunner wrote:

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 03:33:06 GMT, bart wrote:

kinda OT..
I remember as a kid, the army surplus store had crates of little (
1-2oz?) lead teardrop shaped things with little tin fins ( bomb shape)
& the guy told me they were designed to be dropped from planes..

Most of those were actually steel. The name escapes me..something
Dog..but they were used as antipersonel devices against factories and
such. Kick out several tons of those killer bees over a manned
factory..and they would wreck havoc both on the machinery and the
personel. Very aerodynamic, hardened steel IRRC... terminal ballistics
quite high and the kinetic energy was very potent with that much drop
weight.

The modern cluster bomb has its roots in these bomblets

Reminds me of those toy 'Lawn Dart' things? I think a few people were
hurt & killed by them before they were pulled off the market.

Erik

Bill Bright December 16th 03 06:17 AM

Bullets falling back to earth

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message

Eastburn wrote:

Tim -

Have you ever seen a softball sized hail that falls - smashes roofs to
junk
and puts deep bends in cars.

Then there is the smaller stuff that are golf ball size that knocks out
people
left and right.

I suspect you are talking about pea size or rice size. Yea - that is
almost like snow.

Martin
--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer

I think you will find that softball size and probably golf
ball size hail often has much more energy than the terminal
velocity of a falling rifle bullet. By the way, nobody
mentioned pistol bullets. Although they often weight more
than rifle bullets, pistol are much less aerodynamic than
rifle bullets and would not achieve as high a terminal
velocity and would cause less damage than a pointed rifle
bullet.

It would be hard to tell, because a rifle bullet is not going to be spin
stableized any more. It would start falling base to earth until the wind
resistance hitting the flat base would start it tumbling. Now if the bullet
shape had the center of gravity foward of the tip to base center point, then
it would fall stable pointy end down and have a very high terminal velocity

Don Foreman December 16th 03 06:59 AM

Bullets falling back to earth

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 09:03:45 +0800, "Dean"
wrote:

This is sort of metalwork - it involves lead. I was watching the Iraqies
celebrating the capture of Saddam by firing their rifles and guns into the
air. How dangerous are the bullets coming down ?

Other posts may have said this, , please pardon my not wading thru
them all.

A bullet fired at a high angle will reach whatever altitude it
reaches, at which point it will be become a vertically-stationary
object. Events thenceforth are no different than dropping said
object from that height.

It will then fall, accelerated by gravity until its weight equals
aerodynamic drag. That speed is terminal velocity that depends
entirely on shape and weight, not at all on initial muzzle velocity.

Think lead raindrops. Cannon balls fall faster than bird shot
regardless of muzzle velocity that put them at altitude.

A falling 7.62mm or 30.06 bullet would dent your helmet but
probably not punch it, a falling 155 mm dud round surely would.

Greg and April December 16th 03 07:59 AM

Bullets falling back to earth

I was told that they were called Crazy Dogs.

The ones I saw at gun shows were made of hard lead with sheet metal fins.

I think that the original cluster bombs were bunches of small anti personal
' butterfly ' bombs packed in a canister, and dropped by the Germans in WW2.

Greg H.

Gunner December 16th 03 11:17 AM

Bullets falling back to earth

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 06:15:26 GMT, Erik wrote:

In article ,
Gunner wrote:

[...]

Which brings to mind a story about a party, the neighbors Pekinese
(sp?) a tall fence and a miss thrown lawn dart. Not for the
squeemish.