DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   High School In The 1930's (O.T.) (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/134975-high-school-1930s-o-t.html)

KyMike December 10th 05 06:29 AM

High School In The 1930's (O.T.)

I thought some would be interested in the following quote from a
student handbook, issued to new students at DuPont Manual Training High
School in Louisville, Ky., in the 1930's. It belongs to my father, who
graduated in 1937:

DO YOU KNOW HIM?

".......He is not the gang's most daring hero, nor yet the school's
most model pupil. He does not straggle at the foot of the class in
progress, but if he does not stand at the average, he is more apt to
stand below it than above. He may proceed from an honest, thrifty home,
even from one of financial standing, but rarely is he the son of the
community's most distinguished family, nor is he yet a child of the
higher professional class. More often is he a product of the home where
music, literature, and art are displaced by radio jazz, the dime novel,
and where the rush to the movie, the dance hall and the amusement park
leaves little time for the niceties of social behavior or the accepted
etiquette of daily life. For all this he may be a future Lincoln, a
Ford, or an Einstein----but for the moment he is nothing more than a
classroom GUM CHEWER.------
W.V. Kaulfers in "Problem of the Gum Chewer."