DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   ity bity pahse converter (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/134643-ity-bity-pahse-converter.html)

Karl Townsend December 7th 05 09:55 PM

ity bity pahse converter

I'm rebuilding a hardinge CHNC...

The machine will be single phase with a VFD for the spindle.

I just found out the coolant pump is three phase. It is 1/10 or 1/20 hp.
Using a clamp type ampmeter it just tickles the needle on the 6 amp full
scale setting. I'll guess .1 to .2 amp per phase.

So, would it work to just use a run cap accross L1 L2 L2=wild legto start
this thing? How large should I try?

If needed, I could use a start delay timer and bring in a cap accross L2 L3.
Need this? How large?

Karl

Pete December 8th 05 12:46 AM

ity bity pahse converter

Try 3 to 5 MFD and make sure it is not staring under load, once it spins up
to speed close the coolant valve . Be carefull not to allow too much back
pressure so that it slows the pump down. You will need to leave the
capacitor online.

"Karl Townsend" remove .NOT wrote in
message k.net...

Karl Townsend December 8th 05 03:30 AM

ity bity pahse converter

"RoyJ" wrote in message
.net...
Item 7568509552 on ebay is a 1/8th hp single phase VFD for $20

Thanks for the tip.

Don't outbid me.

Karl

RoyJ December 8th 05 04:39 PM

ity bity pahse converter

I see you bought it!

RoyJ wrote:

NOT A CHANCE!! :)

Karl Townsend wrote:

.net...

[email protected] December 10th 05 04:46 PM

ity bity pahse converter

On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 21:55:22 GMT, "Karl Townsend"
remove .NOT wrote:

I'm rebuilding a hardinge CHNC...

The machine will be single phase with a VFD for the spindle.

I just found out the coolant pump is three phase. It is 1/10 or 1/20 hp.
Using a clamp type ampmeter it just tickles the needle on the 6 amp full
scale setting. I'll guess .1 to .2 amp per phase.

So, would it work to just use a run cap accross L1 L2 L2=wild legto start
this thing? How large should I try?

If needed, I could use a start delay timer and bring in a cap accross L2 L3.
Need this? How large?

Karl

Don't know if it'similar to your pump but the 1/8 HP
centrifugal suds pump on my Schaublin mill needs 16uF start and
4uf run capacitance. Because of their lower efficiency these very
small 3 phase motors are more difficult to single phase convert
and have dead lousy starting torque. Fortunately this is not much
of a problem with a centrifugal pump unless you're you're using a
high viscosity neat cutting oil.

Because it's a centrifugal pump minimum torque demand is with
the delivery turned OFF. In practice it makes precious little
difference.

Jim