DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Shortening caliper length? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/134445-shortening-caliper-length.html)

Gene T December 6th 05 12:40 PM

Shortening caliper length?

Hello all,
This may seem like an odd post but has a last resort I may need to shorten
a 4 inch digital caliper with a hardened stainless scale. What would be the
best method to cut this? I also realize that I will have to reattach the
stop. Thanks for any input!!!
Gene

--

This message has been scanned by Norton Anti-virus software

Nick Müller December 6th 05 01:29 PM

Shortening caliper length?

Gene T wrote:

This may seem like an odd post but has a last resort I may need to shorten
a 4 inch digital caliper with a hardened stainless scale.

They aren't realy hard, sometimes. I have cut one just with a hack saw.
But you also can use a angle grinder with a cutting disk. Try to keep it
cool! You might lose the last few mm's functionality, but it doesn't
matter, the electronics won't reach that part.

HTH,
Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de

Tom Gardner December 6th 05 02:53 PM

Shortening caliper length?

I did a 6" to 4" with a cut-off wheel and cleaned it up with a file. A
little superglue to keep the fiberglass from fraying. Drill and rivet the
stop back on. Works fine!

Keith Marshall December 6th 05 03:27 PM

Shortening caliper length?

This may seem like an odd post but has a last resort I may need to
shorten a 4 inch digital caliper with a hardened stainless scale. What
would be the best method to cut this? I also realize that I will have to
reattach the stop. Thanks for any input!!!

I believe someone recently posted a message about using one as a cheap DRO
scale and said they cut the jaws off with a cutoff wheel on a Dremel tool.

A quick Google search found this message:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...f4d2754d2d1766

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"