DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Kind of OT--- How do you measure the drum capacity of a cement mixer? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/133491-kind-ot-how-do-you-measure-drum-capacity-cement-mixer.html)

[email protected] November 30th 05 04:01 AM

Kind of OT--- How do you measure the drum capacity of a cement mixer?

I have a freshly painted and tuned cement mixer I want to sell but I
don't know how to accurately describe it. I see mixers offered as 1/2
sack mixers, etc. but how is the capacity computed. The drum on mine
would probably hold a quarter yard of cement at water level but I don't
think the 5 HP Briggs & Straton would turn it if the bearing held up.
Leigh at MarMachine

Bugs November 30th 05 02:02 PM

Kind of OT--- How do you measure the drum capacity of a cement mixer?

A 'standard' concrete mix is 6 sacks per cubic yard of aggregate. A
half sack mixer will handle 1/12 cubic yard, or 2.25 cubic feet. This
is not quite 17 gallons of water equivalent.
Bugs

Gary Brady December 1st 05 12:20 AM

wrote:
I have a freshly painted and tuned cement mixer I want to sell but I
don't know how to accurately describe it. I see mixers offered as 1/2
sack mixers, etc. but how is the capacity computed. The drum on mine
would probably hold a quarter yard of cement at water level but I don't
think the 5 HP Briggs & Straton would turn it if the bearing held up.
Leigh at MarMachine

I think you're confusing a concrete mixer with a cement mixer. The
mixer you have is most likley for bricklayers or plasters. A concrete
mixer, even a small one, would be much larger. Sorry, don't know how to
size it.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

[email protected] December 1st 05 01:25 AM

Kind of OT--- How do you measure the drum capacity of a cement mixer?

That is some help but how full would you fill the mixer to measure the
capacity. I'd guess about half way but that is a guess. Leigh

Martin H. Eastburn December 1st 05 02:30 AM

Kind of OT--- How do you measure the drum capacity of a cementmixer?

I'd say to the lip while in the normal mixing direction - to the lip and under.
I have one also and have no idea what size it is - Dad gave it to younger brother
who brought it to us.
I hope it is more than scrap iron at this point - paint is long gone.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life