DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Lathe Soft Jaws (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/13273-lathe-soft-jaws.html)

Rob Hammond December 3rd 03 06:08 PM

Lathe Soft Jaws

Hi folks

I'm considering machining soft jaws for a pnuematic chuck to hopefully
improve concentricity.

If I wanted to grip bars from 50mm dia to about 10mm dia would three
sets of jaws be enough? What I'm basically asking is are there any
rules-of-thumb relating bar diameter and the amount of jaw contact /
diameter?

Regards
Rob

--
Rob Hammond

Tom Gardner December 3rd 03 09:47 PM

Lathe Soft Jaws

How about improving your standard jaws. Many posts here about that! I hone
my hard jaws every couple of years and hols .005" which is good enough for
me. I make soft jaws for each critical job that hold .0005". I bore soft
jaws about .002" under dia of the workpiece.