Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
Grant Erwin

Default Victor torch tip part number meaning?

I picked up an older Victor 100 type handle with cutting torch attachment. It's
a nice kit. It has 2 cutting torch tips with it, both numbered 1-5-101. I figure
the first bit, the leading '1', means it is a No. 1 tip. Almost every Victor tip
I see has the last bit, the '101', don't know what that means. It's the middle
part, '5' in this case, that makes no sense to me.

Anyone know what these numbers mean for sure?

GWE

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
Ed Huntress

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
I picked up an older Victor 100 type handle with cutting torch attachment.

It's
a nice kit. It has 2 cutting torch tips with it, both numbered 1-5-101. I

figure
the first bit, the leading '1', means it is a No. 1 tip. Almost every

Victor tip
I see has the last bit, the '101', don't know what that means. It's the

middle
part, '5' in this case, that makes no sense to me.

Anyone know what these numbers mean for sure?

GWE

Not for sure. My handy-dandy Victor Cutting Tip Chart says it's for "tip
series 1-101, 3-101, and 5-101." Then it proceeds to list the tip sizes --
000 through 8 -- for all three series together.

My guess is that the middle number is the torch series -- 1, 3, or 5 -- and
indicates the tip thread or body size. But I don't know.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
Gunner Asch

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 09:34:53 -0800, Grant Erwin
wrote:

I picked up an older Victor 100 type handle with cutting torch attachment. It's
a nice kit. It has 2 cutting torch tips with it, both numbered 1-5-101. I figure
the first bit, the leading '1', means it is a No. 1 tip. Almost every Victor tip
I see has the last bit, the '101', don't know what that means. It's the middle
part, '5' in this case, that makes no sense to me.

Anyone know what these numbers mean for sure?

GWE

101 is the series number..or the model number as it were.

the 101 model is the most common we see in use, but there are bigger
and smaller ones out there.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding

wrote:

I picked up an older Victor 100 type handle with cutting torch attachment. It's
a nice kit. It has 2 cutting torch tips with it, both numbered 1-5-101. I figure
the first bit, the leading '1', means it is a No. 1 tip. Almost every Victor tip
I see has the last bit, the '101', don't know what that means. It's the middle
part, '5' in this case, that makes no sense to me.

Anyone know what these numbers mean for sure?

GWE

http://www.thermadyne.com/victor/

btw...I failed to mention that the 101..ie 100 series is for the torch
Handle..the accessories are also numbered x-101 etc

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
glensmith

Hi,

Is the tip a Victor tip? After I read your message I checked the tips at
work. 4 different brands and 4 different ways of stamping the size on the
tip. One was the same as Victor (size-1-101) one was (1-101-size) One had
No.size below the 1-101. Another just had the size below the 1-101.

The only thing consistent was the series/type (1-101).

What brand is your tip.

Glen
"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
I picked up an older Victor 100 type handle with cutting torch attachment.

It's
a nice kit. It has 2 cutting torch tips with it, both numbered 1-5-101. I

figure
the first bit, the leading '1', means it is a No. 1 tip. Almost every

Victor tip
I see has the last bit, the '101', don't know what that means. It's the

middle
part, '5' in this case, that makes no sense to me.

Anyone know what these numbers mean for sure?

GWE

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
Grant Erwin

The tip I'm looking at has 2 lines of stampings. The first line says "VICTOR"
and the second line says "1-5-101".

I now know it's a type 5 style 101 size 1 Victor tip, fits very few torch
attachments, only comes in sizes 0,1,2. I was only interested in Victor cutting
torch stuff because many of their cutting torches have tips in sizes as small as
000 (in fact they have the smallest cutting torch tips I know of). I have Airco
tips as big as I will ever need, bet I could scrap out the Golden Gate Bridge
easily if they wanted me to, but cutting 1/8" steel with a 00 tip on my Airco
torch I still get some melting on the sides. I'm going to special order a type
124 tip in size 00 and see if the low preheat tip works any better.

Victor seems downright stingy with their technical data compared to Concoa (Airco).

Grant