Grant Erwin

Default Using a welder for electroplating

Ignoramus15120 wrote:
Is it possible to use a constant current DC welding machine for
electroplating or derusting?

I've heard of guys using MIG machines (CV) to do electrolytic derusting. In that
process, the variables you have are strength of solution (i.e. 1/4 cup washing
soda or the whole box?) also distance to the electrodes and to some extent
electrode topology. In my most-used setup, I use a square 5-gallon bucket that
once contained laundry detergent (itself mostly cut with washing soda) and two
railroad track ties with 10 ga. wires soldered to the track ties. The track ties
lean in the bucket against the sides, leaving a nice volume for workpieces,
which I suspend via a wire/clamp through a stick over the top of the bucket. The
problem with this setup is that it's a real hassle when your current isn't
enough, or is too much. All I can do with a buzzbox car battery charger is
toggle 6V/12V. With a MIG welder, however, I can crank the voltage wherever it
needs to be to get the desired level of bubbling, and after the electrodes "load
up" I can crank it up a little more to overcome the resistance.

That's a MIG welder, though. A CC source would be really great as long as you
can really control the current. Most of the time I'm shooting for 3-15 amps (I'm
sure what you really want is some value of amps per unit workpiece area, don't
know what that is) and if you can hit that easily and controllably with a CC
welder, why sure it will work.

I don't see you have much to lose. I suggest you give it a try and report back.

GWE
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
S G S G is offline

replying to Grant Erwin, S G wrote:
carbon crucible blocks work better, no sludge

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalw...ng-453044-.htm