del

Default Homebrew misting coolant system for small mills

Has anyone made their own misting coolant system for their mill, as
opposed to just buying one? (I think they run a little less than $100)

Thanks for your insight.

del
Karl Townsend

I made a pressurized one, a copy of the $300 HenchForth mister. No sore
throat from fog in the room.

See "ZeroFogMister" in the drop box, 2001 I think. Also a thread of that
subject about that time.

Karl

"del" wrote in message
Has anyone made their own misting coolant system for their mill, as
opposed to just buying one? (I think they run a little less than $100)

Thanks for your insight.

del

Harold & Susan Vordos

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
nk.net...
I made a pressurized one, a copy of the $300 HenchForth mister. No sore
throat from fog in the room.

See "ZeroFogMister" in the drop box, 2001 I think. Also a thread of that
subject about that time.

Karl

Karl,

Would you be so kind as to tell me what you use for coolant? I've been
away from my machines for several years, but used a product I recall to be
named either CoolMist or SprayMist. Worked great, but made clouds of mist
that aggravated my throat. I was also not pleased with how the machine
felt after use. Often I'd have to wash down the quill on my Bridgeport
several times to restore the "feel" due to the sticky deposit that
accumulated and migrated into the housing.

I'd gladly go back to using one if I thought I could control that issue.
Mean time, I use an acid brush, which is hardly the same thing! :-)

Thanks~

Harold

Nicholas Carter

(gratuitous commercial post)
I sell what I think is the lowest cost misting system, the ( made in
USA) Bar Products "Spra-Kool" mister
http://www.cartertools.com/sprakool.html

It isn't as deluxe as a koolmist, noga, etc but it works fine.

Nick
On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 19:18:28 GMT, del
wrote:

Has anyone made their own misting coolant system for their mill, as
opposed to just buying one? (I think they run a little less than $100)

Thanks for your insight.

del

Ted Edwards

Harold & Susan Vordos wrote:

named either CoolMist or SprayMist. Worked great, but made clouds of mist
that aggravated my throat.

I use Kool-Mist(sp?) diluted 1:5 with water and dripped on with a
hypodermic syringe. I plan to replace this with an automatic dripper.
One was written up in HSM or Projects in Metal a few years back. A
solenoid is used to give a measured squirt at a setable frequency. This
would be more consistent than my present by-hand method. It also
produces no mist. A friend loaned me his mister to try out and I
discarded the idea for exactly your reason.

I was also not pleased with how the machine
felt after use. Often I'd have to wash down the quill on my Bridgeport
several times to restore the "feel" due to the sticky deposit that
accumulated and migrated into the housing.

A further advantage of the drop method is that the coolant goes on the
work not all over so you would not get it on the quill. I found the
stuff, even diluted, to be non-corrosive and a good solvent for itself.
i.e. Dried up spillage on the machine bench is easily cleaned up by
wiping down with a rag dampened with the diluted stuff.

I'd gladly go back to using one if I thought I could control that issue.
Mean time, I use an acid brush, which is hardly the same thing! :-)

No it isn't but drop into a rural pharmacy (they tend to stock some vet
supplies) and pick up a 30 or 60 ml syringe and the largest bore needle
they stock. Cut off the sharpened tip of the needle (score and snap)
and smooth the edges. This will let you try out the drip method before
investing time and money in an automated rig.

Ted

lane

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
nk.net...
I made a pressurized one, a copy of the $300 HenchForth mister. No sore
throat from fog in the room.

See "ZeroFogMister" in the drop box, 2001 I think. Also a thread of that
subject about that time.

Karl

Karl
I'm trying to open the DWG file in Corel Draw but it won't do it. My help
file says that Corel applications support versions 12,13, and 14 of the DWG
file formats.

What version did you use.

Thanks

Lane

Karl Townsend

Would you be so kind as to tell me what you use for coolant? I've been
away from my machines for several years, but used a product I recall to be
named either CoolMist or SprayMist. Worked great, but made clouds of mist
that aggravated my throat. I was also not pleased with how the machine

I use Kool Mist for the most part. ( I have ten gallons of bio-cool 500 that
I bought an auction to use when I run out of this case of Kool Mist) I just
pour "so much", about a cup or a pint in three gallons every time I make up
a new batch. I use way more coolant than the standard mister, actually
blowing chips out of the way and nearly flooding the work right at the
cutting tool. I'd guess usage at about two gallons per machine run hour.

I got to where I was hyper sensitive to fog from misters. I think the more
you use one the more it bothers you. Anyway, you can't even tell there's a
mister running with a HenchForth or my copy of it.

I've not seen problems that you describe with the mister gunking things up.
Maybe I'm lucky, or too dumb to know the difference.

Karl Townsend

Karl Townsend

I'm trying to open the DWG file in Corel Draw but it won't do it. My help
file says that Corel applications support versions 12,13, and 14 of the

DWG
file formats.

What version did you use.

Must have been AutoCAD 2000. I don't think AutoCAD 2002 was out yet when
this project happened. I'll check on converting to an older version and
email you a print.

Karl

Nicholas Carter

I use a mister, but I added an air solenoid and timer, so that much
less coolant is used, and in operation I don't get the fog that comes
with running a mist system full bore.
http://www.cartertools.com/cool.html

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 19:01:36 GMT, Ted Edwards
wrote:

Harold & Susan Vordos wrote:

[...]

lane

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
nk.net...

I'm trying to open the DWG file in Corel Draw but it won't do it. My

help
file says that Corel applications support versions 12,13, and 14 of the

DWG
file formats.

What version did you use.

Must have been AutoCAD 2000. I don't think AutoCAD 2002 was out yet when
this project happened. I'll check on converting to an older version and
email you a print.

Karl

Karl provided me with two new files for version R13 & R14 of the DWG files.
I've posted them to the dropbox, but right now they are in the current
dropbox, the original files are in the 2002 archive file. Hopefully Steve
will move them there with the rest.

Thanks Karl
Lane