DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   steam cleaning (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/127661-steam-cleaning.html)

[email protected] November 2nd 05 08:33 PM

steam cleaning

I'm in need of a small steam cleaner for grease/gunk removal on bunch
of car parts that I cant remove to take to the pressure washer.
Commercial units are way too expensive for me, so I'm considering
building one. I need something that heats its own water, since my
garage doesnt have a hot water supply.

I've seen a few pressure washer attachments that look like nothing more
than a common oil burner pump/fan/ignitor centered within a coil of
tubing through which pressurized water is passed. Seems simple enough,
especially since I've got the pressure washer and burner pump kicking
aorund.

Anyone build something like this? A 1500 psi coil of superheated water
scares me.

Alternativly, how about a low pressure version? I have more than a few
low pressure pumps (200psi) which I could pass through the same coil
arrangement and then onto a commerical pressure washer "gun". A simple
boiler type pressure release could be fitted for cheap money to keep
things kinda safe.

Anyone try anything like this? Am I nuts? Anyone have a unit near
boston they are willing to part with?

Vin

Dave Lyon November 2nd 05 08:48 PM

steam cleaning

I've seen a few pressure washer attachments that look like nothing more
than a common oil burner pump/fan/ignitor centered within a coil of
tubing through which pressurized water is passed. Seems simple enough,
especially since I've got the pressure washer and burner pump kicking
aorund.

I build some parts for Steam Action. They build industrial carpet cleaners.

They use a combustion engine to drive the pump, and make a stainless steel
heat exchanger to suck the heat off of the exhaust.

[email protected] November 2nd 05 09:37 PM

steam cleaning

Dave

any idea what pressure they run?

Dave Lyon November 2nd 05 10:03 PM

steam cleaning

Nope, sorry.

They use 3/8 Stainless steel for their heat exchangers, so I'm guessing it's
pretty high.

ups.com...

Grant Erwin November 2nd 05 10:56 PM

steam cleaning

I used to own a Landa hot water unit that went between a pressure washer and its
hose. It was diesel-fired and worked just great. They're about $1000 normally.

You can rent steam cleaners.

The steam cops will get me for this one, BUT: if you have an outdoor turkey deep
fryer setup (those are real cheap) then you should be able to score an old 5
gallon propane bottle, one of the nonOPD ones that are normally free now, and
prepare it for reuse as I did, then put water in it and plumb your steam hose to
the 3/4" NPT hole on top of the tank, then fire up your turkey burner until the
water is boiling, and open the valve. If you're curious about how I prepare
those tanks for reuse, see:

http://www.tinyisland.com/LPvalveRemoval.html

GWE

Dave Lyon November 3rd 05 02:39 PM

steam cleaning

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
[...]

wrote:

If it were me, I'd add a popoff valve for safety.

Martin H. Eastburn November 6th 05 12:48 AM

steam cleaning

Why not a 120 or 240 Volt hot water on demand unit. It senses flow - and heats that water.
No tank.

I want to put one in the shop - a small one - for the restroom / shop sink.

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life