j.b. miller

Default old SEARS air compressor info

Hello. I've been given a Sears air compressor,2 cylinders, maybe 15+ years
old. Needs valves.
Anyone know who really made it? Sears has no parts(too old). It's in
really,really good shape,so I want to fix it.
Thanks for any help.
Jay

jim

j.b. miller wrote:

Hello. I've been given a Sears air compressor,2 cylinders, maybe 15+ years
old. Needs valves.
Anyone know who really made it? Sears has no parts(too old). It's in
really,really good shape,so I want to fix it.
Thanks for any help.
Jay

do you have a model number on it?? if so then go to sears web site:
www.sears.com and look to the upper left and check off PARTS.. another
page comes up and then you put the model number in and it will show the
diagram of the compressor..... mighjt help locating parts at another
place... i went to a local pump repair place(guy had lost of air
compressors there that he was working on... he got me the parts i
needed.. on my old sears air compresser it had the manufacturer's name
on a metal plate brazed onto the frame.. it was Devilbliss..........
would never had gotten that info from sears or anyplace that i could
have located... You state that its in really, really good shape?
well you might do better just getting a new pump and putting it on the
old machine??? or with the prices of air compressor always coming down
you might just save you old one for parts or trying to fix the valves in
the old one by grinding the valves to make it work and it will not cost
you anything?????
Hank

"jim" wrote in message ...
j.b. miller wrote:

Hello. I've been given a Sears air compressor,2 cylinders, maybe 15+

years
old. Needs valves.

In my opinion a 15 to 30 year old Sears (Devilbiss) is still a better
compressor than anything you can buy today. Mine was still going strong
after 30+ years when I sold it last year. Over those years I probably
replaced the reed valves 5 times. A really simple task.

Any good sized air compressor shop should have the correct replacements.
Pattons is the big guy here in Charlotte. I think they have shops in other
cities.

Hank

DoN. Nichols

In article , jim wrote:
j.b. miller wrote:

Hello. I've been given a Sears air compressor,2 cylinders, maybe 15+ years
old. Needs valves.
Anyone know who really made it? Sears has no parts(too old). It's in
really,really good shape,so I want to fix it.
Thanks for any help.
Jay

do you have a model number on it?? if so then go to sears web site:
www.sears.com and look to the upper left and check off PARTS.. another

[ ... ]

have located... You state that its in really, really good shape?
well you might do better just getting a new pump and putting it on the
old machine??? or with the prices of air compressor always coming down
you might just save you old one for parts or trying to fix the valves in
the old one by grinding the valves to make it work and it will not cost
you anything?????

Grinding the valves? I think that most of these use reed
valves, so just replacing them may be all that is needed.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Loren Coe

In article , DoN. Nichols wrote:
In article , jim wrote:
j.b. miller wrote:

Hello. I've been given a Sears air compressor,2 cylinders, maybe 15+ years
old. Needs valves.
Anyone know who really made it? Sears has no parts(too old). It's in
really,really good shape,so I want to fix it.

Grinding the valves? I think that most of these use reed
valves, so just replacing them may be all that is needed.
Enjoy, DoN.

i believe the valve assy can be removed from the top, it's under any
filter media/assy, sometimes just a felt pad. take it to Graingers,
or measure it and see if it matches anything in their catalog.

or do what many rcm's would do, _repair_ the assy. grin --Loren

Erik Litchy

j.b. miller wrote:
Hello. I've been given a Sears air compressor,2 cylinders, maybe 15+ years
old. Needs valves.
Anyone know who really made it? Sears has no parts(too old). It's in
really,really good shape,so I want to fix it.
Thanks for any help.
Jay

i have one liks this

but its covered with green plastic and the label fell off. i assume
mines newer. can i get valves and gaskets for it?

GTO69RA4

i have one liks this

but its covered with green plastic and the label fell off. i assume
mines newer. can i get valves and gaskets for it?

That was made by Campbell Hausfeld. I doubt the company would be any help, but
try talking to a real compressor shop. You can always cut your own gaskets from
gasket paper and I've heard of folks using feel gauges for reeds.

GTO(John)
Greg O

"Erik Litchy" wrote in message

i have one liks this

but its covered with green plastic and the label fell off. i assume
mines newer. can i get valves and gaskets for it?

Graingers have gaskets and more for these compressors. The sold them under
the Speedaire label. I belive there was only two variations of bore and
stroke so the parts are pretty easy to sort out even without model or serial
numbers. I bought parts for mine there a couple of times.
Greg

Erik Litchy

Greg O wrote:
"Erik Litchy" wrote in message

i have one liks this

but its covered with green plastic and the label fell off. i assume
mines newer. can i get valves and gaskets for it?

Graingers have gaskets and more for these compressors. The sold them under
the Speedaire label. I belive there was only two variations of bore and
stroke so the parts are pretty easy to sort out even without model or serial
numbers. I bought parts for mine there a couple of times.
Greg

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/pro...626814&ccitem=

is this the correct part? sure looks like it.

Loren Coe

In article LUtrb.155782$e01.540508@attbi_s02, Erik Litchy wrote:
Greg O wrote:
"Erik Litchy" wrote in message

i have one liks this

but its covered with green plastic and the label fell off. i assume
mines newer. can i get valves and gaskets for it?

Graingers have gaskets and more for these compressors. The sold them under
the Speedaire label. I belive there was only two variations of bore and
stroke so the parts are pretty easy to sort out even without model or serial
numbers. I bought parts for mine there a couple of times. Greg

great url, everything is there, only 12bucks(!). the reed valves alone probably
cost the same. however, it does look like the head has to come off to service
the valves. i have never done this, but am always amazed at the puny felt
filter... ymmv, --Loren

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/pro...626814&ccitem=

is this the correct part? sure looks like it.

Sears Craftsman lifetime warranty John Holbrook Metalworking 8 September 30th 03 12:51 AM
Old Sears Air Compressor - Help Please jim Metalworking 9 August 15th 03 09:16 AM
Sears air compressor starting problem Jim Stuyck Metalworking 9 July 14th 03 01:03 PM