jim rozen

Default What are the size limitations of mini mills?

In article , Gunner says...

Jim, do you happen to have a parts break down for that Hardinge Tm? I
have most of what I think is a UM sitting in my trailer at the
moment..it followed me home last night...

I have the mill, no power feed stuff, the table, one hand wheel, no
lead screw and the brackets are missing along with the bearings on the
side to side axis.

I sent a note or two to your lightspeed account. If you
did not get those today, drop me a line.

That mill really does work fine without the power feed.
Not all of them came with it. The handwheels can be
replaced inexpensively by rough castings from mcmaster
carr or MSC. The leadscrew however would be a toughie,
along with the endplates for the long axis.

My machine had a power feed 'event' which apparently
had ripped the end off the non-handwheel end cap, and
knocked a chunk out of the table casting slot where
the stops for the feed setup slide.

And somebody took the time to mill out the boo-boo,
and sister in a chunk of steel to repair the table,
and carefully piece the end cap back together.

I had to buy the thing when I saw that.

Jim

please reply to:

Eastburn

Hum interesting about screwing it down.

I have a mill drill - and what I did was use SS hose clamps at top and
bottom
to clamp in --- top? - maybe only the bottom - clamps the rack tight.
There is slop still - expected it - just not as much.

I suspect I'll look into it more when more time exists for shop work.

Martin
--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer
Gunner

On 10 Nov 2003 18:11:28 -0800, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Gunner says...

Jim, do you happen to have a parts break down for that Hardinge Tm? I
have most of what I think is a UM sitting in my trailer at the
moment..it followed me home last night...

I have the mill, no power feed stuff, the table, one hand wheel, no
lead screw and the brackets are missing along with the bearings on the
side to side axis.

I sent a note or two to your lightspeed account. If you
did not get those today, drop me a line.

Nope..didnt get anything. Just the usual ads for a bigger pecker,
bigger tits, an invitation from some fellow in Nigeria, etc etc.

That mill really does work fine without the power feed.
Not all of them came with it. The handwheels can be
replaced inexpensively by rough castings from mcmaster
carr or MSC. The leadscrew however would be a toughie,
along with the endplates for the long axis.

My machine had a power feed 'event' which apparently
had ripped the end off the non-handwheel end cap, and
knocked a chunk out of the table casting slot where
the stops for the feed setup slide.

And somebody took the time to mill out the boo-boo,
and sister in a chunk of steel to repair the table,
and carefully piece the end cap back together.

I had to buy the thing when I saw that.

Jim

I reckon I can make the end plates, install bearings, etc etc..but do
indeed need a lead screw.

I sorta did what that old boy did, when I repaired that Gorton
pantograph that went over a month or so ago. Works fine now..so I
figure both the end plates cant be too much of a biggy.

I got the machines to do it, and am working on the know how.

Gunner

"By calling attention to 'a well regulated militia', the 'security' of the
nation, and the right of each citizen 'to keep and bear arms', our founding
fathers recognized the essentially civilian nature of our economy. Although
it is extremely unlikely that the fears of governmental tyranny which gave
rise to the Second Amendment will ever be a major danger to our nation, the
Amendment still remains an important declaration of our basic
civilian-military relationships, in which every citizen must be ready to
participate in the defense of his country. For that reason, I believe the
Second Amendment will always be important."
-- Senator John F. Kennedy, (D) 1960
jim rozen

In article , Gunner says...

Nope..didnt get anything. Just the usual ads ...

Hmm. Could you please send me your mail address then,
to the jrr(zero) email in my sig line? That way
I can compare with the one I have on file, and see
if the parts breakdown is headed in the right direction....

Jim

please reply to:

Eastburn

I just got back from the shop - it was on both top and bottom of the
mill-drill post - I had used 2 each on each clamp.

Limits the swing 90 degrees to the side or on a 45 - but then IF I
needed
that, I know where a nut driver is!

Martin